Options

The Irish vote does seem to be huge factor

Comments

• Options
    itsashruberyitsashrubery Posts: 8,144
    Forum Member
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    What in the blue hell are you rambling on about now? :confused:

Apparently, you don't seem to understand what "goodbye" means either. Jeez... some people... :rolleyes:
    Your words "agenda"
    I have no agenda lol
    You cannot accuse someone of something and not explain yourself
    You were wrong on points were patronising and you feel I was wrong lol
    Unbelievable :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The Irish are a race and a nation - not a demographic.

It is insulting in the extreme to claim that Irish people don't vote on talent or quality - but just ring up in droves to support any old Irish act who appears on a reality TV show.

If I claimed only black people voted for Misha or Marcus - without any evidence or proof - I would be accused by many of racism. And frankly I wouldn't blame them.

Its just patronising and insulting!
    I really wish people would read a post properly before accusations of racism etc
    FGS
    I don't say only the Irish voted for her I said it could be a factor
    I have Irish in my blood for goodness sake
    I have and never will be racist
    Why is that always brought up ? Some people even said tonight that marcus not winning is a anti gay thing:confused:
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Your words "agenda"
    I have no agenda lol
    You cannot accuse someone of something and not explain yourself
    You were wrong on points were patronising and you feel I was wrong lol
    Unbelievable :rolleyes:

I explained myself very clearly, yet you disregarded that explanation in a condescending way, the only explanation being, that it didn't fit your particular "agenda". I wasn't "wrong" on anything, so I have no idea where you got that idea. :confused:

And if you feel I'm being patronizing then why do you continue to engage me in discussion? Do you like feeling patronized? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    I explained myself very clearly, yet you disregarded that explanation in a condescending way, the only explanation being, that it didn't fit your particular "agenda". I wasn't "wrong" on anything, so I have no idea where you got that idea. :confused:

And if you feel I'm being patronizing then why do you continue to engage me in discussion? Do you like feeling patronized? :confused:
    I don't have an agenda that is my point, I speculated on possibility of the added Irish support it is an opinion, and I was not making it an agenda against Janet
    I girl was likeable unlike say misha but I was surprised and wondered if she had a big fanbase voters from ireland
    You accused me of having an agenda, I also never said it was based purely on regional votes
    That is all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh here we go again. This is getting tiresome. The silly old Irish, voting for the wee Irish cailin because, well, she's Irish. Let me tell you, I'm Irish, I watch the show but don't vote. Neither does anyone I know. Regional voting happens every year, be it from Ireland, Liverpool, Manchester, whatever. If I said that the reason Marcus made it to the final was because of the Liverpool vote, I'd be laughed off the forum. Why then, do you think it's acceptable to "blame" (for want of a better word) the Irish people for Janets success on the show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it seems Louis is preaching to nobody then right? :p
    Unless he is on speed dial when at home

WOW how condescending. Do you seriously think every Irish person that watches the X Factor is just hanging on LOUIS WALSH's every word? Do you take everything Tulisa or Gary Barlow says as gospel?

Irish people watch The X Factor for the same exact reason...entertainment. We don't just mass vote for any Irish contestant in any possible competition in the world. I remember some lad won an Australian X Factor type show 7 or so years ago, surely we can't blame the people living in Ireland for that? :rolleyes:

Unless official numbers are released you really have no argument.
  • Options
    LaneyhLaneyh Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been joked on here before about the irish vote etc
    Jokes about the Quigg boy from a couple years back
    Janet Devlin this year
    Well looking at the percentage votes that have come out it is clear to see the Irish vote is a massive factor
    And while it was a massive surprise when Quigg topped votes before, the fact Janet now has also done the same even when forgetting words and having dire song choices chosen for her,
    surely means this is a big advantage for an act.
    Louis is always saying he hopes the Irish vote for her etc, well it seems he was listened to :D
    Janet never seemed to be the obvious fave on forums, radio, TV etc here
    But her voting figures show that she was backed hugely by the emerald Isle
    I know that I will be watching out for next year to see if there is an Irish act in final lol And money shall be going on them

And yet an Irish act has never won. I haven't seen the figures so can't comment on that. Possibly in the early stages people vote to support their 'local' act but as the competition progresses I really don't believe this happens.
    We are capable of independent thought you know so I find it a bit insulting that this constantly comes up on here.
    We don't all have a meeting on a Saturday night and decide how we're going to vote as a nation.

I would say that Irish people living in Ireland are potentially subject to slightly less media manipulation than in the UK
    with our newspapers not writing as much about the contestants. Having said that though most people have satellite tv, access to the UK papers and obviously the internet.

As to Janet... I think she was a favourite early on with the show producers and with the bookies.
    They thought they could sell the story of a shy Irish teenager who lived in the middle of nowhere but through xfactor found her voice. Unfortunately Janet didn't play along with that story beyond dying her hair red

Coldplay for the final and Canonball as the winners song would have fit very well with her winning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the Scotland vote for Leon Jackson ;)

Edit: And Michelle McManus
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    And the Scotland vote for Leon Jackson ;)

Edit: And Michelle McManus

Oh, and don't forget the Welsh vote for acts from Wales and the English vote for acts from England too, very important. ;)
  • Options
    Scottish_girlScottish_girl Posts: 5,786
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand the if an act isn't English they have only did well because of the Irish/Scottish/Welsh vote mantra. It seems to be trotted out whenever there is a result or unexplained success that a poster doesn't like.

When Leon won, when Michelle McManus won pop idol people were very quick to say it was only because the Scottish voted, same happened with Eoghan and now Janet.

And there is plenty of evidence to suggest such a vote does not exist, why did Susan Boyle not win BGT? Why did the McDonald brothers not win, or Jedward or the Conway sisters?

Look at Frankie this year: He was beyond garbage but I don't think "oh it's the English voting to keep him in' But on here year after year any non English act gets this treatment. Believe it or not Scottish, Irish and Welsh people are capable of independent thought and don't immediately vote in droves for an act that happens to come from their country!
  • Options
    phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're blaming the Irish for Janet then I'm blaming the whole of England for Frankie Cockoozer.

She isn't well liked over her, fyi. She can't sing and she's a pretentious little madam. "I'm not really a Christmas person/most people have enver heard of the films I like/I don't like pop music" UGH
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Roberta Howett?
    Philip Magee?
    The Conway Sisters?
    Belle Amie?
    Jedward?

Why did they not all top the vote every week if it's just a case of Ireland blindly supporting there own?

Also, the judges were BEGGING Manchester/Liverpool etc to vote ever week. Nobody seems to have a problem with that.

(Interestingly they never asked Janet's home region to vote for her)
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FGS what a load of rubbish this thread is.

Janet could not have topped the voting week on week if she didn't have strong support all over the UK, including NI.

If I still voted on these shows I would have been voting for Janet because I really liked her style. It was an added pleasure to support her because she was from NI. I wouldn't have voted for Eoghan because although he seemed a nice lad, he was not much cop as a singer.

People voting for the red head or voting for the scouser or voting for the black girl or the gay geek could just as easily have had a minimal influence on voting but there is zilch meaningful evidence for the assumptions on this thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. It's only natural to vote for your own. That why Louis says Liverpool/Manchester/Ireland/Scotland/Wales etc to get behind 'their' acts.

2. Remember there are Irish people tat live in the UK. Plus English people from Irish families that an emotive celtic voice like Janet Devlin would evoke memories and emotions.

3. There are a lot of English/UK people (like me) that would say Janet was the best act. She was something new, not typical X Factor fare. It wasn't ALL about being Irish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet Devlin this year
    Well looking at the percentage votes that have come out it is clear to see the Irish vote is a massive factor
    And while it was a massive surprise when Quigg topped votes before, the fact Janet now has also done the same even when forgetting words and having dire song choices chosen for her,
    Louis is always saying he hopes the Irish vote for her etc, well it seems he was listened to :D
    I know that I will be watching out for next year to see if there is an Irish act in final lol And money shall be going on them

Oh do you have the voting statistics for the regions of the UK? If so, please post them, they would be interesting to see.

If not, all you are doing is speculation.

PS I'm from Northern Ireland and I know no-one who voted for Janet, seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    1. It's only natural to vote for your own. That why Louis says Liverpool/Manchester/Ireland/Scotland/Wales etc to get behind 'their' acts.

2. Remember there are Irish people tat live in the UK. Plus English people from Irish families that an emotive celtic voice like Janet Devlin would evoke memories and emotions.

3. There are a lot of English/UK people (like me) that would say Janet was the best act. She was something new, not typical X Factor fare. It wasn't ALL about being Irish.

Not to go too far off topic but I really don't understand this 'celtic voice' thing, are people thinking this is how Irish people sing?
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    How on earth does the OP know where the votes came from?

And why distinguish the NI votes (I don't know if the south could vote?) from other areas of the UK anyway? Why not talk about the scouse vote - that must have got Marcus into the final based on that assumption?
  • Options
    HotasfireHotasfire Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Miah1976 wrote: »
    Oh here we go again. This is getting tiresome. The silly old Irish, voting for the wee Irish cailin because, well, she's Irish. Let me tell you, I'm Irish, I watch the show but don't vote. Neither does anyone I know. Regional voting happens every year, be it from Ireland, Liverpool, Manchester, whatever. If I said that the reason Marcus made it to the final was because of the Liverpool vote, I'd be laughed off the forum. Why then, do you think it's acceptable to "blame" (for want of a better word) the Irish people for Janets success on the show?

This.....I'm from Dublin...Never have and never will vote for X factor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet Devlin this year

How do they show this :confused: They just show that she was getting a lot of votes - not where they came from
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    It makes me smile that people think the Irish only vote for the act from Ireland, it is like saying they are all sheep.. how stupid.

I do not vote just cos someone is English, no more than someone Scottish votes only for Scots, although some may, and family and friends or said act you expect to, it is a silly argument.

Someone has said about the population of Northern Ireland so here you go, here is some real information for you we have counties here with more people in them the largest being Yorkshire.

Yorkshire is the largest traditional county of England. 6000 square miles (15000 sq km) Population 5 Million County Town (capital): York

NI has 4,581,269 (2011 cenus figures)

Then take how many actually vote and I think you will see the Northern Irish vote is a pee in the ocean, Janet had huge supporters here in the UK, simple.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Laneyh wrote: »
    And yet an Irish act has never won.

Nor has a white female soloist - and white women make up 45% of the UK population.

Of the only 3 or so white female soloists who ever came close two were Irish.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    The strength of the Irish vote is proven by Little Micks winning :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    phasers wrote: »
    If you're blaming the Irish for Janet then I'm blaming the whole of England for Frankie Cockoozer.

She isn't well liked over her, fyi. She can't sing and she's a pretentious little madam. "I'm not really a Christmas person/most people have enver heard of the films I like/I don't like pop music" UGH

She's a pretentious little madam because she spoke honestly, is articulate, well read, intelligent and didn't fit into your idea of an X-Factor hopeful?

Feel threatened much?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    It makes me smile that people think the Irish only vote for the act from Ireland, it is like saying they are all sheep.. how stupid.

I do not vote just cos someone is English, no more than someone Scottish votes only for Scots, although some may, and family and friends or said act you expect to, it is a silly argument.

Someone has said about the population of Northern Ireland so here you go, here is some real information for you we have counties here with more people in them the largest being Yorkshire.

Yorkshire is the largest traditional county of England. 6000 square miles (15000 sq km) Population 5 Million County Town (capital): York

NI has 4,581,269 (2011 cenus figures)

Then take how many actually vote and I think you will see the Northern Irish vote is a pee in the ocean, Janet had huge supporters here in the UK, simple.

I think you're getting the Republic mixed up with the North there....

Wikipedia puts the NI population at 1,685,000 at the time of the 2001 UK Census. The World bank puts the Republic's population at about 4.5 m. (Got to love Google:))

Apart from that I agree totally with the rest of your post. :D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The Irish are a race and a nation - not a demographic.

It is insulting in the extreme to claim that Irish people don't vote on talent or quality - but just ring up in droves to support any old Irish act who appears on a reality TV show.

If I claimed only black people voted for Misha or Marcus - without any evidence or proof - I would be accused by many of racism. And frankly I wouldn't blame them.

Its just patronising and insulting!

Thank you for this

I AM SICK OF THESE "IRISH VOTE" Threads- oi's so patronising and annoying

I want to point out for the 50 millionith time that Jedward were kept in by the great british public as IRELAND DID NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE VOTE THAT YEAR

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rant over