Les Miserables

Comments

• Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bishop being there I think is artifice to get Colm at the end. It changes the message. The stage show portrays self salvation by love and good deeds. Eponine and Fantine have gone the extra mile and died for love. The bishop has just done what he's paid to and offered advice and example - which you would hope he does for all his parishioners. Having him turn up at the end, to do what a secular Fantine can do in the stage show, inflates his role, and makes the story look decidedly more catholic - as the priest leading his flock literally into the light of heaven behind the alter. Its not clear that anti-catholic Hugo would approve of that message. People may like that end more, as it gives a simpler religious message, that will appeal to agnostics, catholics and evangelicals alike, and doesn't raise questions about what everlasting love means. They also may feel safer with an ending that suggests the need for change and revolution was resolved later in the 19th century, and doesn't go on. That doesn't mean its a better ending - just one they think their cinema audience will have fewer problems with.

You may be right about Eponine, though I don't agree that she isn't infused with revolutionary spirit - she is because Marius is, and she does it for him. I do think she probably was cut from the end to avoid Sam Barks stealing the show again and to avoid causing confusion as to why she was there, but I still think it makes more narrative sense for her not to be there anyway. I don't think it's at all as clear as you say in the stage production, and I still maintain that that scene is essentially about Valjean, as the story has been all along. It's his passing over to heaven, to salvation, not solely a pronouncement about love.

And as a result, I disagree entirely that the Bishop's appearance is artifice. Hugo may have been anti-Catholic, but there are undeniable religious tones in the story. The Bishop is not there because he is a Bishop though, he is there because it was he who changed Valjean's life in the first place, he who sent him on the path towards a better life. I think it's a mistake to look at it through the other characters in that scene, it's about Valjean. It's about the effect the characters who appear have had on him. Fantine is there because she played a crucial role in his salvation as well, not for Cosette. It is only incidental that Cosette is there, as had Thenardier not mentioned it, she wouldn't even have been there. All her being there does is give Valjean extra peace, he was already ready to pass on. In the stage show Eponine's appearance can be explained as she is the one who delivered the letter for Cosette, which Valjean took and read, which led him to find Marius and save him, which allowed him to be at peace that Cosette would have a secure future.

I don't think the Bishop appearing changes the meaning of the ending at all. It's exactly the same meaning as in the stage show (after all, the stage show has the ghosts of the revolutionaries as well, so that historical message about the revolution hasn't changed) and it only makes more sense to have the characters that are there in the movie, regardless of how good a character Eponine is and how beautiful the harmony is in the stage score.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Maybe Russell Crowe should sing his lines more often. Its the only time i could hear every word he said in a movie. Usually its a gruff whisper.
  • scragendscragend Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    timebug wrote: »
    About the 'Miserables' aspect of things,I was always told (being a non French speaker) that the actual French title,does not translate literally to English,and rather than 'the miserables' a more true approximation would have been 'The Unfortunates'?
    Given the setting and the dramatis personnae,that would seem far more apposite, to my mind.

Yes - "les misérables" would perhaps be accurately translated as "the wretched ones" (*), or as you say, "the unfortunates".

It's nothing to do with being miserable in the modern English sense of the word as such, although if you were in that position you would likely be miserable!

(*) cf. in the Epilogue - "for the wretched of the earth, there is a flame that never dies..."
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's keep fingers crossed that Les Mis wins big tonight at the BAFTAs!
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    Let's keep fingers crossed that Les Mis wins big tonight at the BAFTAs!

Yes! Is it being shown this evening?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Yes! Is it being shown this evening?

Yes at 9pm on BBC One :D
    Forum Member

I'm gonna be out but thankfully it's on the BBC so it'll be on iPlayer. Something for me to catch up on after work tomorrow, by which point I will know who won what!
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most years BAFTA are usually stupid enough to leak the results on their website a couple of hours before :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Tom Hooper has scaled the internet to see that fans 100% DO want a director's cut DVD :D I need more Les Mis :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope Tom Hooper has scaled the internet to see that fans 100% DO want a director's cut DVD :D I need more Les Mis :D

Hopefully a directors cut without the unnecessary new song in the middle!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I kinda liked "Suddenly." I thought it worked well to show the bond forming between Valjean and Cosette. I also thought the tiny reprise at the end by Cosette, after Valjean left was the perfect way to highlight how she felt about his departure.

It didn't ruin or damage the movie in any way, and I do think it added to it somewhat.
    Forum Member
    Lady Spice wrote: »
    I kinda liked "Suddenly." I thought it worked well to show the bond forming between Valjean and Cosette. I also thought the tiny reprise at the end by Cosette, after Valjean left was the perfect way to highlight how she felt about his departure.

It didn't ruin or damage the movie in any way, and I do think it added to it somewhat.

Me too. :)
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I liked all of the songs apart from that one. Didnt really go anywhere or have a tune! Never works when they write a new song into a show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think my favourites in the movie were

-Look Down
    -Lovely Ladies
    -At The End Of The Day
    -I Dreamed A Dream
    -On My Own
    -One Day More
    -Empty Chairs At Empty Tables
    -Epilogue
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    Most years BAFTA are usually stupid enough to leak the results on their website a couple of hours before :rolleyes:

They are not showing it live which is a pain. The show starts at 7pm but is showm at 9pm. I suspect the winners will be all over the net by then again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many nominations in total does Les Mis actually have? Isn't it like 5?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diorelli wrote: »
    They are not showing it live which is a pain. The show starts at 7pm but is showm at 9pm. I suspect the winners will be all over the net by then again.

Yup BBC News just said they will start passing on the results as soon as the show starts at 7pm.
    How many nominations in total does Les Mis actually have? Isn't it like 5?

Nine

Best Cinematography
    Best Costume Design
    Best Film
    Best Leading Actor
    Best Make-Up And Hair
    Best Outstanding British Film
    Best Production Design
    Best Sound
    Best Supporting Actress
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    googleking wrote: »

Well considering the ceremony's not being broadcast live, that's understandable.

There are various live blogs if you want to follow the show as it happens (just started), otherwise it's on at 9. And yes, the results will definitely be available before it airs. I presume it's later because of some of the adult content of some of the films nominated, and to give it a prime-time TV slot and avoid them having to do too much work to bleep out profanities :rolleyes:

Red carpet pics for anyone who's interested, bit of a black theme going on among the Les Mis cast (everyone's wearing black, except possibly Amanda Seyfried as I haven't managed to find a picture of her yet). I love Anne Hathaway's dress!

Samantha Barks
    Anne Hathaway
    Helena Bonham Carter
    Eddie Redmayne
    Hugh Jackman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samantha and Anne look stunning!
    Forum Member
    Samantha and Anne look stunning!