Metric or Imperial?

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    When buying weed you buy an '8th' which was, once upon a time an 8th of an ounce.. but that's just a colloquialism really.

There would, however, be at least ten 8ths in an ounce:p
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a mixture of both to be honest.
  • wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    n1guy wrote: »

Yes ..I think that most people, use a mixture of both.
    I think there is a relatively small group, who use Imperial only. A large middle group who use both. And at the other end of the spectrum, the metric group who use metric only.:)
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wjong wrote: »
    I'm the guilty one .. I bumped the thread..(like to the song I shot the Sherriff) ....Why? ..Well I think the metric Imperial question is relevent to day as it was 19 months ago. Actually I think its been a relevent question from many years past.

I'm pro metric. However I also beleive that individuals have the right and freedom to use whatever measures they like (metric.Imperial, Egyptian cubits, whatever) within the privacy of their homes. Thats a freedom that I hope we never loose.

The metric Imperial question is interesting, indeed fascinating. I'm interested in why people support metric or Imperial or why they just dont care about it and are comfortable to use both.

So what do you use? Imperial, metric, or both.

You're not 'guilty' of anything.

You're allowed to respond to a thread no matter how old it is, despite what some people on here might say & they ought to read the T&Cs to see.

You just can't please some people: some will moan if you do the responsible thing & reply to an ''old' thread (how old is old?:confused:) & others will moan if you create a thread about something that has been discussed to death.:confused:

Some topics are not time specific & their age has no relevance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not 'guilty' of anything.

You're allowed to respond to a thread no matter how old it is, despite what some people on here might say & they ought to read the T&Cs to see.

You just can't please some people: some will moan if you do the responsible thing & reply to an ''old' thread (how old is old?:confused:) & others will moan if you create a thread about something that has been discussed to death.:confused:

Some topics are not time specific & their age has no relevance.

Thanks for that..:)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    n1guy wrote: »

I tend to do that, but most of the time I'm more likely to use imperial as it's easier:

Height - feet and inches
    Weight - stones
    Pub - pint
    Distances - miles or yards
    Baby weights - pounds and ounces
    TV/computer screens - inches

I guess it's a cultural thing. It wouldn't sound right going into a pub and asking for over 400ml. A pint sounds better :D
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to do that, but most of the time I'm more likely to use imperial as it's easier:

Height - feet and inches
    Weight - stones
    Pub - pint

I guess it's a cultural thing. It wouldn't sound right going into a pub and asking for over 400ml. A pint sounds better :D

I'm the same, although born in 1970 and taught metric at school, the imperial measurements seem more natural.

The OH being a foreigner who has never dealt with our imperial system will give me a thousand yard stare if I say somewhere is, for example, 20 miles away or that I weighed x pounds at birth.

Then after some quick and dirty mental arithmetic, she gets it, but kms and kilograms just dont sit right with me.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    My life's ambition is to convert the world to metric/decimal time.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use imperial for pretty much everything. I did learn metric at school but I never got the hang of being able to visualise a metric measurement so never use it.
    We never learned imperial measuremnets at school but as they are used by almost everyone I know, they just seemed like a natural thing that didn't need any learning.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    My life's ambition is to convert the world to metric/decimal time.
    That would make the world a much more interesting place than boring old four/four time.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member

Height - feet and inches
    Weight - stones
    Pub - pint

I use all those measurements too. :)

I'm a bit rusty on metric despite being taught it at school.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I always find it strange that my mum doesn't understand Celsius.. and I'm always like 'wtf?' when people measure weight in pounds & stone or distance in yards.

I was educated in the 90's and 00's and never really learned the imperial systems (at all).. I learned weight in KG, distance in meters/CM, temp in Celsius and so forth.
    I mostly use imperial, having been educated in the 70s/80s. We were taught both cm & inches at school, and we used the term "centigrade" as opposed to "celsius".

I use miles for distance, stones and lbs for body weight, grams and kg for other weight, celsius for temperature, feet & inches for height, litres for liquid.

I've found it irritating with all the snow reports of x cm... I'm forever changing it to inches as I can visualise it better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I use a mix metres miles, millimetres, kg, litres, pints, gallons.

KW, HP, I do not use cm

And of course Kelvin, Farenheight is useless
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I wonder which of the previously banned people from earlier in this thread is now back?:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mostly use imperial, having been educated in the 70s/80s. We were taught both cm & inches at school, and we used the term "centigrade" as opposed to "celsius".

I use miles for distance, stones and lbs for body weight, grams and kg for other weight, celsius for temperature, feet & inches for height, litres for liquid.

I've found it irritating with all the snow reports of x cm... I'm forever changing it to inches as I can visualise it better.

I think most people use Celsius for temperature. Some media convert back to Fahrenheit which I thinks adds confusion for some people. I dont think conversions are neccessary now, most know Celsius.
    Snow depth in cm or metres and rainfall mm, the Met people use metric. Although some conversions are provided by media and are sometimes wrong, if we are used to Imperial we will mentally convert to Imperial. Thats because its more difficult to unlearn something, than what it is to learn something new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a mix metres miles, millimetres, kg, litres, pints, gallons.

KW, HP, I do not use cm

And of course Kelvin, Farenheight is useless

There are some exceptions, but I use millimetres when measuring because its important to avoid the decimal fractions that can occur when using centimetres.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mix 'n' match here.

Body
    Weight in kilo's
    Height in feet
    Waist in inches

Large weights in metric tonnes
    Distance in miles and or km

Length in M or Feet.

Fuel in gallons
    Cubic capacity in litres

DIY measurements cm and inches sometimes combined?

Timber ft in or M
    glass cm

boats in ft and inches

temp in C.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wjong wrote: »
    I think most people use Celsius for temperature. Some media convert back to Fahrenheit which I thinks adds confusion for some people. I dont think conversions are neccessary now, most know Celsius.
    Snow depth in cm or metres and rainfall mm, the Met people use metric. Although some conversions are provided by media and are sometimes wrong, if we are used to Imperial we will mentally convert to Imperial. Thats because its more difficult to unlearn something, than what it is to learn something new.

I'm an oddball because I use Fahrenheit for temperature, except when it is cold.:eek::confused::o
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being obsessed with Science, I'm a metric person without a doubt.
    For temperature, I tend to think in degrees Celsius, but technically the scientific standard measurement for temperature is Kelvin.
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    Imperial. It's a humanistic measurement.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an oddball because I use Fahrenheit for temperature, except when it is cold.:eek::confused::o

I do the same. Anywhere near freezing I use Celsius.......anything warm Fahrenheit......anything hot, say boiling point I'm back to Celsius.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Mixture.

Liquids = imperial
    My height = imperial
    Temperature = metric
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Cynic wrote: »
    Imperial. It's a humanistic measurement.

Humanistic..If you mean that measures, are easier because they equate to different points of length, on the human body, and are therefore easier to visualise, then that can occur with both Imperial and metric measures.
    Its what we are used to, that determines what weights and measures we use. That could be Imperial, metric, or more likely a mixture of both. What we are used to is the easiest to use. Its what we are comfortable with. Any other alternative can be awkard and require conversion back to native measures, the measurements that we are used to.
  • monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Either.

But metric is easier and more sensible.

I await the Luddites........

looks like you find it harder to use imperial so who is the luddite now lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Metric from school age. I have no clue about imperial but I still think in miles when driving and tbh prefer to weigh myself in stones :confused: