Options

Homes Under The Hammer presenters

13»

Comments

• Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this show and I think the presenters are ok, even though I would say Lucy does get too over-exicited sometimes. You can see she is very passionate about properties.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it last week and could really get into it if it wasn't for the obsessive amount of music they play, every minute or so it's another song clip it's like the show is fitted around the songs sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to buy a property at auction and do it up and sell it one problem I am too lazy and have no patience to do it up so I would have to cut out the middle and just sell it again and hope get's more:D
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,640
    Forum Member
    Evs814 wrote: »
    I won't have a word said against Martin and Lucy. Love this show.
    Me too.
    Centaurion wrote: »
    The queue of people willing to rent never seems to get any shorter, no matter where the location of the house the smug buyer ALWAYS has a tenant lined up before the cheap naff beige carpets are even laid.

Who are these saps who can afford £550 PCM but can't secure a mortgage ?

I'd like occasionally for a buyer to make a resounding loss on a purchase, but after 10 years of HUTH , I've yet to see one.
    It has certainly happened on the show.
    Lol made me laugh.

I don't mind Lucy but the guy really annoys me!l

What annoys me more is the stupid things the producers make the new owners do like moving a brick 10cm from it's original position .
    It annoys me too - it's so pointless having someone looking into an obviously empty cupboard, or walking into a room, looking out of the window and walking out again, what possible use is this to the show?
    timebug wrote: »
    My wife watches the programme regularly, I don't. But she lost
    faith in Lucy completely,following another show,where Lucy bought
    a mansion for herself. Lucy has always stressed on her shows,that
    you MUST check inside and out for faults,before buying.
    When she found her mansion,it was locked and she could not get
    access; but she went ahead and bought it anyway! Double standards,
    anyone?
    It annoys me how there is always someone in the show who bought a propert unseen - what idiot would do that? I just don't believe it.
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I would love to buy a property at auction and do it up and sell it one problem I am too lazy and have no patience to do it up so I would have to cut out the middle and just sell it again and hope get's more :D
    This has happened on the show.
    What annoys me is them going back to a house that isn't finished - what's the point?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am new to the show I have been watching them on Home and Really and have noticed they tend to pick properties in Derbyshire, Wales, London or Plymouth I assume this is because it is cheaper to use the same auction house and estate agents and just film all day in an auction house and use as much footage from that day as possible.

It would be nice if they went to more areas of the country, I know they use other areas but you can almost guess the properties will come from the above four,

Martin always does the Derbyshire, Lucy the London.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    My wife watches the programme regularly, I don't. But she lost
    faith in Lucy completely,following another show,where Lucy bought
    a mansion for herself. Lucy has always stressed on her shows,that
    you MUST check inside and out for faults,before buying.
    When she found her mansion,it was locked and she could not get
    access; but she went ahead and bought it anyway! Double standards,
    anyone?

Wasn't that Sarah Beeney?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it was Lucy, it was an article in the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-2110083/Lucy-s-Under-Hammer-manor---broke-auction-rules-buy-it.html
  • Options
    WingerWinger Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Martin always does the Derbyshire, Lucy the London.

I always thought this was because Martin comes from round there and can see to his laundry arrangements with his mum who lives nearby.

In the same way as you never see an ITV Breakfast competition winner being congratulated live from the seventeenth floor of a tower block, you never see HUTH when things have gone really spectacularly wrong. I'm thinking interviewing a bloke alone sat at a table rocking back and forth with a bottle of whisky and some valium to hand and with his partner having left him admitting that in retrospect his plans were perhaps a tad too ambitious.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winger wrote: »
    I always thought this was because Martin comes from round there and can see to his laundry arrangements with his mum who lives nearby.

In the same way as you never see an ITV Breakfast competition winner being congratulated live from the seventeenth floor of a tower block, you never see HUTH when things have gone really spectacularly wrong. I'm thinking interviewing a bloke alone sat at a table rocking back and forth with a bottle of whisky and some valium to hand and with his partner having left him admitting that in retrospect his plans were perhaps a tad too ambitious.

LOL, I love it, wish you could have a like button for some posts :D
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Having to have a large deposit has always been a problem. We saved up what was then a large deposit in 1965 of £500 - my husband earned £12.00 a week and I earned £8.00. We did it by living in a couple of rented rooms, having no holidays, no washing machine, no fitted kitchen, no central heating, no car, no TV - basically nothing. When we bought our first house, the mortgage allowed was three times my husband's income and none of mine. I had a basic washing machine and spin dryer, still no central heating and secondhand/donated furniture or even orange boxes. The mattress was on the floor. Still no holidays, no nights out.

Mine is a similar story. House deposits have also been hard to save for and require sacrifice and saving, going without treats and holidays. This is what my husband and I did to get our first house in 1968. No carpets, we'd go to the launderette as no washing machine, we would hitch hike to go on a caravan holiday, no central heating, just an old banger of a car [a Vespa before that] and no frills whatsoever. It was worth it but I can't see people doing it these days.

Then when we went our separate ways some years later I had a fair bit of equity in which to go on and buy my own place [couldn't before as mortgages were for the man of the house only]. I've now been mortgage free for 25 years by moving area and downsizing, then gone back up by buying tatty properties [for cash] and doing them up to get a bit nicer each time.

I love HUTH and I love Martin. He is a great presenter and knows what he's talking about.

If people didn't bite the bullet and buy then do up these awful, neglected, uninhabitable, down trodden out of date properties where would renters live? Someone has to do the hard work and pull out the money, I think they are doing a good job, better than sitting on their backsides.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Beeny got herself into trouble (rightly so imo) for not bothering with Planning applications on a Grade 2 listed building.......something which even for an ordinary house is a cardinal sin! Whilst some of the points the Council pulled her up on seemed rather petty, others were quite serious and she should consider herself extremely fortunate in being allowed retrospective planning permission.

From there on she was basically on a collision course with Yorkshire Council who felt she was using her television personality as being 'above the law'.

It reminded me of a neighbour of mine who lived nearby. Very full of his own self importance and known by everyone as the village show off. He began building a massive huge Garage to house his large tag axle Motorhome. By the time the roof was on this thing was an absolute monstrous eye sore and nobody could understand how he'd managed to get planning permission.

He hadn't!! :o

The Council ordered him to demolish the lot......they wouldn't even grant him retrospective planning! :D
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Lucy is scary, probably the most violent woman on TV.:D
    Clip> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_T099io4pc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things that will happen in every episode of Homes Under The Hammer:

Martin & Lucy will stand in someone's back garden to do a link
    Lucy will visit a property in London
    The buyer will pretend to look in a cupboard to satisfy a camera shot.
    Martin & Lucy will pretend they have never visited the property before but when they walk in they talk about the room before they have seen it ;)
    No one ever refuses them to return.
    The estate agents will look sheepish and embarrassed as they do the walk down the road for the 15th take.
    The estate agent will pretend to look aimlessly around the room for the camera shot.
    Every buyer will have a happily family life usually married with two children.

Please feel free to ad more
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the deal with black tape covering the logos on people's jackets jumpers ?

Only noticed it today, advertising ?

Eeeek, Lucy actually travelled north of the Watford Services into the wilds of East Kilbride and made it out alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    What's the deal with black tape covering the logos on people's jackets jumpers ?

Only noticed it today, advertising ?

Eeeek, Lucy actually travelled north of the Watford Services into the wilds of East Kilbride and made it out alive.

You mean Lucy actually left London?:o
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homes under the Hammer is a guilty pleasure :D

Lucy's way of talking is annoying though. It's like she's taken one breath and is trying to get as many words out as possible, spitting and practically choking them out at the end.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butterface wrote: »
    Homes under the Hammer is a guilty pleasure :D

I must say I never tire of it and I don't know why.

Sad to say, and the sands of time are running out for this plucky colour, but still no sign of Avocado bathroom suites coming back into fashion, or even being trendy in a ironic way.

People can't see past white for feckin' EVERYTHING in a modern house, neutral my arse, just a bit of colour now and again eh ?
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Martin's my guilty pleasure :blush: hair transplant or not!!!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooh shock the one on Homes & Health now has Graham the auctioneer on it ;) I wonder if they paid him upfront for the appearances he makes.

Ooh shock Lucy is in erm London :o

and to add to the three stereotypes of the show Martin is in Stoke On Trent.