Options

Sky Sports 5. Your new home of championship football.

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thebestbit wrote: »

Sky had their annual price increase in September for years. Why do people think they changed it to June?

BT put their line rental up last December, way above inflation and again next month.
  • Options
    NiemirovskyNiemirovsky Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    thebestbit wrote: »
    4k isn't stopping you watching the games is it? You can still watch the games on Sky last time I checked.

Also AMC is launching on sky, if you have BT sports.

But it won't be part of the Sky's offer. It will be just available by Sky box but self channel will be part of BT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Sky Atlantic was similar. At the begining it was "Home of HBO". Now it's different.

Sky Atlantic hasn't really changed, it still is the only Sky channel to watch HBO programmes and from day one it had shows from other networks.

Mad Men was announced as an acquisition for Atlantic before the channel was launched and that’s not an HBO show.
  • Options
    thebestbitthebestbit Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    But it won't be part of the Sky's offer. It will be just available by Sky box but self channel will be part of BT.

And? Will you or will you not able to watch it on sky? Yes you will.

Were Virgin customers able to watch Sky Atlantic? No.

So I don't understand how the situations are the same. One gives you the option and the other did not.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe people think these pop-up channels are anything more than a short-term marketing gimmick. They do it with their movie channels too.

Although going from The Home Of European Football to the Home Of Championship football is quite an embarrassing downgrade :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Sky sports 1 & 2 are shown on BT. It's a way of Sky taking their ball home and not letting BT customers seeing Championship football.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    pauloregan wrote: »
    Sky sports 1 & 2 are shown on BT. It's a way of Sky taking their ball home and not letting BT customers seeing Championship football.

The games are also on Sky Sports 1
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL

From Europe to the Championship.. classy.
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get it if that's all it shows (F1 for example)
    I don't get it if it still shows other sports. Its just confusing then.

If you've seen BT's ad lauding itself as the [new] home of the Champions and Europa Leagues you will no doubt be confused that it shows anything else? ;-)
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Sunday 16th Sky are showing a Championship Match at same time as Super Sunday so BT customers will miss out.

Being s Sky Customer I did not realise BT Customers couldn't get SS3-5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sat-ire wrote: »
    If you've seen BT's ad lauding itself as the [new] home of the Champions and Europa Leagues you will no doubt be confused that it shows anything else? ;-)

Bit like going into Burger King, 'The Home of the Whopper' and buying chicken nuggets!!
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To anyone defending Sky, get a grip.

What they've pulled is nothing short of scandalous. They marketed a channel as the 'Home of Europe'. Based on this, they roped customers into long term contracts knowing full well that the majority of those customers wouldn't be aware the the rights were about to change - during this same contract.

So therefore they have mis-sold their product and anyone who wishes to leave them should have their contracts void to ensure they can do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    To anyone defending Sky, get a grip.

What they've pulled is nothing short of scandalous. They marketed a channel as the 'Home of Europe'. Based on this, they roped customers into long term contracts knowing full well that the majority of those customers wouldn't be aware the the rights were about to change - during this same contract.

So therefore they have mis-sold their product and anyone who wishes to leave them should have their contracts void to ensure they can do so.

Have they really though, if they had renamed the channel Sky Sports European Football HD, then yes.

I love my cricket, just because Sky Sports 2, which they called Home of Cricket doesnt have Cricket on all day
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Bit like going into Burger King, 'The Home of the Whopper' and buying chicken nuggets!!

I prefer the Rodeo Burger myself

Anyway, SS5 is available on BT TV, no?
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they really though, if they had renamed the channel Sky Sports European Football HD, then yes.

I love my cricket, just because Sky Sports 2, which they called Home of Cricket doesnt have Cricket on all day

Yeah all year round its the 'home of cricket' and yet some other sports get shown on it and indeed some cricket gets shown on SS3 and 4 at times!
  • Options
    SSL2010SSL2010 Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is laughable.

Que all the pished off sub's in September, when they realise Sky won't have La Liga and Champions league football to offer.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    Anyway, SS5 is available on BT TV, no?
    Legacy "BT Vision" Box users can receive Sky Sports 1, 2 & 5.

New BT TV customers receive a "BT Youview" box and can only receive Sky Sports 1 & 2.
  • Options
    arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know who heads up Sky's marketing these days - but they should be sacked.

Fine the Home of European Football BS was designed to (rather unethically, but no worse than what BT are doing with BT Sport Europe) tie people into long term broadband contracts and off set any BT CL publicity - but why then rebrand the channel again into "Home of The Championship" - just keep quiet about it, and use the channel as the fifth Sky Sports channel (hence the name!).

Any Sky customer with half a brain will now be making the connection with the old 'home' and realise they've been fooled.
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    The games are also on Sky Sports 1
    According to the listings at http://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky/competitions/championship , there are 19 Championship matches scheduled for August & September:

-18 are on SS5, 10 of which will be simulcast on SS1.
    -1 is on SS1 only.
  • Options
    BluedayBlueday Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    arunan22 wrote: »
    I don't know who heads up Sky's marketing these days - but they should be sacked.

Fine the Home of European Football BS was designed to (rather unethically, but no worse than what BT are doing with BT Sport Europe) tie people into long term broadband contracts and off set any BT CL publicity - but why then rebrand the channel again into "Home of The Championship" - just keep quiet about it, and use the channel as the fifth Sky Sports channel (hence the name!).

Any Sky customer with half a brain will now be making the connection with the old 'home' and realise they've been fooled.

It's hard to disagree. They looked a bit foolish branding it as they did, they have now humiliated themselves by rebranding as a 'lesser' product which just re-emphasises the loss of rights. Whoever signed off on this I think will be sweating on their job in the weeks ahead.

I don't think they have enough sports rights to merit a 5th channel, may as well scrap it to be honest. In fact I believe the way they will go in the years ahead is to concentrate and buy the big sporting rights across all sports and just leave the minor stuff alone, perhaps dropping a sporting channel or two.
  • Options
    ArchieArchivistArchieArchivist Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I must admit, I laughed out loud when I heard that they'd gone from "the home of European football" to "the home of the Championship". At this rate, it'll be "the home of the Conference" this time next year. :D

Archie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont get the problem, all the channels on the Sports Section, are called the Home of something.

Like i said earlier i love cricket, SS2 is called the home of Cricket, do you hear cricket fans moaning when there is other sport on the channel
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those who only want League Football rather than Premier League are screwed then unless they take the full Sky Sports package from Sky as thats the only way to get Sky Sports 5 - I had a quick look at the League fixtures and while some are on Sports 1 and 5 some are 5 only.
  • Options
    Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're completely missing the point mate. When they call a channel, Sky Sports Ashes or whatever they're obviously doing it for a short period of time. But this this, they marketed the channel as the home of European Football - A European Football channel.

NOT...a European Football Channel for 12 months and then Football League for the remainder until we close it down.
  • Options
    MGBCTVMGBCTV Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I laughed out loud when I heard that they'd gone from "the home of European football" to "the home of the Championship". At this rate, it'll be "the home of the Conference" this time next year. :D

Archie.

I think BT Sport have the rights for National League as it's now known