Windows 10

Comments

• catsaregreycatsaregrey Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Anybody know how to hide / remove the language and keyboard notification that has appeared my notification area after upgrading? (label 'ENG' as shown in this pic http://cdn5.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ximg_55b133ec30eb8.png.pagespeed.ic.4CS5UE9Kzj.png)

i would like to know this too. It wasnt there before, appeared earlier, disappeared after a reboot and now come back again.

I cant find any option to make it go away
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Does W10 download of its own accord without me asking for it?

I ask because I have just found that my usage for yesterday was nearly 4GB whereas I would normally expect about 0.3!

Yes, downloads in the background and then asks you if you want to install.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Yes, downloads in the background and then asks you if you want to install.
    Thanks, that is a relief. I wondered what had gone wrong because I had done nothing odd with the PC yesterday.

Does that mean that I will keep on getting nag screens of some kind? I don't want W10 for quite a while (if ever) as I am only just getting used to 8.1.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that is a relief. I wondered what had gone wrong because I had done nothing odd with the PC yesterday.

Does that mean that I will keep on getting nag screens of some kind? I don't want W10 for quite a while (if ever) as I am only just getting used to 8.1.

Just ignore or clear the nag screens or uninstall the Windows Update KB or hide it if redownloaded.
    Start Search Windows Update options "Download but notify..." etc

https://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=get+windows+10+kb&gws_rd=ssl

=-=-=

Are you on 10GB/month allowance?

Mention that when asking questions, there are a lot of big downloads that might be recommended, assuming you are Unlimited
  • PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Edge broser only recognises that I have IE installed (I have but never use it in anger - only to test webpages I have written). It then asked me if I wanted to import settings from it -and promptly ignored all except the guff that Microsoft think I might want to connect to anyway, and which I thought I had deleted from IE!

Also how do I get rid of the XBox stuff it keeps trying to connect me to? I don't have an XBox, don't want one, and the only games I ever play are the old Windows favourites (minesweeper, Freecell etc) that I now have to import using "my microsoft account", which I don't really want.

Bring back Windows 7 I say - or perhaps change to a Linux distro.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phred wrote: »
    The new Edge broser only recognises that I have IE installed (I have but never use it in anger - only to test webpages I have written). It then asked me if I wanted to import settings from it -and promptly ignored all except the guff that Microsoft think I might want to connect to anyway, and which I thought I had deleted from IE!

Also how do I get rid of the XBox stuff it keeps trying to connect me to? I don't have an XBox, don't want one, and the only games I ever play are the old Windows favourites (minesweeper, Freecell etc) that I now have to import using "my microsoft account", which I don't really want.

Bring back Windows 7 I say - or perhaps change to a Linux distro.

Nothing like well reasoned decision making?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's currently downloading .. here goes nothing :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just ignore or clear the nag screens or uninstall the Windows Update KB or hide it if redownloaded.
    Start Search Windows Update options "Download but notify..." etc
    If I understood that, I might follow it, but it is beyond me.
    Are you on 10GB/month allowance?
    No, I am on 40GB/m, but if there had been a problem developing, 3+GB/day would have been difficult. My average daily usage is 0.44GB for the first 7 months of this year.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re - Xbox, Sony is well wiinning in the games console market so I'd say W10 helps level that 2 horse race.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So who here likes the start menu feature? :D

It's better than 8.1, but oddly, on mhy laptop, if I click settings or a settings option in the search results I get a blank screen. No error message, nothing. This doesn't happen on my desktop. Another problem my laptop has that my desktop doesn't, is it doesn't display the most used programmes in the start menu.
  • JackappleJackapple Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My only issue is, its totally messed up the way Chrome behaves especially when watching youtube, you click the video to pause it and suddenly the video has maximized or opened up in a new tab or both, its bloody annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Another problem my laptop has that my desktop doesn't, is it doesn't display the most used programmes in the start menu.

check settings in

apps - personalisation - start
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I understood that, I might follow it.

Sorry Albert. I didn't mean to be unhelpful.

Try these uninstall guides https://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=how+to+uninstall+%22get+windows+10%22&gws_rd=ssl
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    i would like to know this too. It wasnt there before, appeared earlier, disappeared after a reboot and now come back again.

I cant find any option to make it go away

It was something that was there in 8.1 also......
    To remove the input indicator from the taskbar....
    Settings - System - Notifications & Actions - Turn system Icons on or off - Input indicator - Set to Off...
    Lots of other choices in there..

Hope that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Albert. I didn't mean to be unhelpful.

Try these uninstall guides https://www.google.co.uk/search?pws=0&gl=uk&q=how+to+uninstall+%22get+windows+10%22&gws_rd=ssl
    OK thanks, that is all noted.

However I don't particularly want to remove the download now if it is lurking harmlessly somewhere. Maybe in a few months I might decide to use it, as long as it doesn't suddenly decide to do it without my permission.

It is bad enough that it downloaded without warning, it could have put me over the top on a tight usage limit (fortunately it didn't).
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,413
    Forum Member
    I agree with this. Win 10 looks awful compared with win 7 or win 8.1.
    It looks very much like an unfinished operating system with lots of work still to be done.

...which might be a cue to try out the new Start10 from Stardock. From the screenshots, it looks like they have a variety of style options: https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Been using 10 since the early betas and pretty much love it. However, i full wiped and updated to the full RTM yesterday and one thing is now driving me round the twist!

I use the Samsung Allshare program for streaming to my telly. Worked fine with 7, 8 and even the 10 betas. Now it just will not install. Started with the program was blocked from installing, so turned off smartscreen. Now it STILL wont install saying its been blocked for my safety. There is no install anyway button, just nothing! Can't understand why they are blocking Samsung software...

I'm an administrator on the computer, so surely it should be up to me whether i install something or not....
    MS Claims it's Compatible:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/ProductDetailsViewer?Type=Software&Name=Samsung+AllShare&ModelOrVersion=2&Vendor=Samsung&Locale=1033%2C2057%2C3081%2C4105%2C16393&LastSearchTerm=%2BSamsung%2BAllshare&BreadcrumbPath=+Samsung+Allshare&TempOsid=Windows+10+Technical+Preview
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    xander63 wrote: »
    Installed my Windows 10 upgrade via the media creation tool last night and everything went smoothly.

Using that same creation tool now to download Windows 10 again, but this time creating an ISO Image to burn disc as my own back up DVD.

You never know when this might come in handy as it's only free for the year! I assume my current valid windows activation key would cover any future re-install. :)

Yes. But only on the same hardware.
  • MaccaMacca Posts: 18,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...which might be a cue to try out the new Start10 from Stardock. From the screenshots, it looks like they have a variety of style options: https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

The start menu is fine, it is the general look when opening explorer or an app, it just looks bland. The icons look like they were copied from the days of windows vista. I know it is all about the productivity side & how stable it is, and that is fine. They could have made it at least look a bit more 'interesting'.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does W10 download of its own accord without me asking for it?

I ask because I have just found that my usage for yesterday was nearly 4GB whereas I would normally expect about 0.3!

Just to clarify: Windows 10 does not download in the background unless you specifically ask to 'reserve a copy'.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the process of upgrading an old laptop first so that I can have a look and feel of W10 before I decide if I do the others or not. I kicked it off late last night using the Media Creation Tool and it is still going at 6pm this morning, though on the last leg of configuring settings. Guess I'll have a play with it tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of upgrading an old laptop first so that I can have a look and feel of W10 before I decide if I do the others or not. I kicked it off late last night using the Media Creation Tool and it is still going at 6pm this morning, though on the last leg of configuring settings. Guess I'll have a play with it tonight.

That seems an long time - how much memory does your laptop have, or was internert very slow?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Just to clarify: Windows 10 does not download in the background unless you specifically ask to 'reserve a copy'.
    Hmm. You have me worried now, because I didn't knowingly do anything which could have explained nearly 4GB of download (and it was download, I checked) on Saturday. I await yesterday's reading which should come up in a couple of hours time.
  • wintvwintv Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    Use Classic Shell Free till it's fixed, or someone posts a definitive fix here.

It was flaky for some in the Preview builds but there were too many possible solutions.

Many thanks Sir Robin working a treat now. My regards to Lady Marion.
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Ok, a couple of questions from a noob:

I was mid installation when a message popped up saying that if I was to continue with the installation, I would lose the language packs I have installed (I don't have any custom ones installed - just the default UK one). What did that mean?? :confused:

My laptop is as follows:

Processor: Stone Group laptop with Intel Pentium, CPU B950 @2.10GHz, RAM 4.00GB 3.40 GB Usable, 32 bit, currently running Windows 7.

Is this sufficient to run Windows 10 smoothly - I know the Windows 10 website shows that my pc can run in but want your views?!!