Les Miserables

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    Check out Oklahoma or The Boy From Oz on You Tube. His voice in Les Miz was about a tenth as good as in those. But more than made up for by the sheer fabulousness of his acting.

welwynrose wrote: »
    I saw him a few years ago in this

http://youtu.be/SZbAKYQkP_Q

Thanks :) I hope he does more stuff like this! Said in interviews he would like to!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Watching the making of thing on ITV1 at the mo...
    i am watching the special too :)

I saw the ITV special (even got a sneaky cameo in there getting Amanda Seyfried's autograph :D) on New Years Day and it made me so excited to see the film!!
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the ITV special (even got a sneaky cameo in there getting Amanda Seyfried's autograph :D) on New Years Day and it made me so excited to see the film!!

You got Amanda's autograph?!

*is jellus*
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say despite my disliking Hooper's decision to use THAT take of Hugh's Bring Him Home and the choice of Russell as Javert, I really am quite impressed by him making Cosette less 2D (thus more 3D instead) and inconsequencial by giving her a heart (with the addition of her pining for her 'dad' Jean when he left her), and making Marius a little less wet (choice of getting Eddie Redmayne to play that role helps tremoundously, because he makes Marius more intelligent and less self-indulgent than the stage version, also with more backbone, which I shall explain below).

I forgot to mention the addition of the 'flirting' between Eponine and Marius was a good decision too. Of course that part was also present in the stage version, but on stage Eponine sang about liking Marius' hair, which I thought was actually rather creepy. In the film version, she gently teases him for pretending to be poor when she knew his grandpa's rich. Most crucially she sang, in the film version, instead of 'I like your hair' or some nonsense like this, to "I like the way you talked", implying she's paying attention to what Marius' politcal views were.

By changing slightly the words they sang, Marius' response to Eponine's teasing about him pretending to be rich was that he didn't get a single franc without earning it, and that he alluding to 'burning his bridges' in terms of his privilege background, showing he's not just someone who's so shallow that he's almost ready to abundant his fight for the 'cause' just because he wanted to bonk a lady in a bonnet.

Then again, I didn't like how Hooper seemed to make Enjorlas appear quite harsh towards Marius. I always have this impression that Marius and Enjorlas are really close mates, and when on the stage version, as Enjorlas sang "Red and Black", he didn't come across as reproaching Marius, but more like encouraging and exhorting the latter why they were involved in the 'freedom fight' in the first place. I don't know, the three stage versions I watched at different times ALL came across as Enjorlas being less high-horsey, a little less in-your-face intensity that Aaron Tveit was directed to play him in the film. Maybe it's just me... Aaron had a fantastic voice and he sang Enjorlas' part beautifully though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You got Amanda's autograph?!

*is jellus*

Yeah :) she was lovely but unsurprisingly, visibly freezing...
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D Yup, I've had that very same problem with the size of the seats over the last 27 years. :ma

ps, whether it's because I was going through personal crisis when I saw Miss Saigon, or not, I've never loved it in the same way. I think it'd transfer to film brilliantly though. There's the epic evacuation of Saigon which would translate to a cinema audience, not to mention the wedding scene/fall of Saigon being filmed on location. The only raves I had for it, when I saw it, was the 18 year old Lea Salonga. I saw it a further couple of times and thought Jonathan Price wasn't as great as "The Engineer" as he thought he was :confused:

Miss Saigon will be difficult to cast but they'll have to go for an unknown for Kim, The Engineer's even harder as I can't think of many Asian actors who who could do that part justice and I doubt they'll get someone who isn't Asian or of Asian descent as that caused problems when they transferred the show to Broadway.

I think the live singing approach could work well with Miss Saigon like it did with Les Mis. Some of the closeups done in Les Mis would work we'll for some songs in Miss Saigon like Why God Why and The Movie in the Mind,
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Quite a lot of inverted snobbery being hurled out of that pram along with the toys, it would seem...

It would seem?

How so?

It's all very well making statements but back them up please.
    I have no snobbery towards fans of Les Mis or any other sung-musical, that has never been inferred.
    I have merely picked up on comments made here, that are still here in black and white, that people who don't like sung-musicals are uneducated.

As I have said, I totally understand the passion and love for Les Mis, I myself am very passionate about certain genres and specific films but I certainly don't look down on people who don't immediately share the passion.

So please enlighten me where the inverted snobbery lies within my post.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the above posts have answered my question I was going to ask.....Is it ALL sung? Off to see it tonight, and to be honest, I am not sure I am looking forward to it. The only musical I have seen that I LOVED was Mouline Rouge, but I knew the songs (pop songs) and it was partly spoken. Hmmm. we shall see,
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    It would seem?

How so?

It's all very well making statements but back them up please.
    I have no snobbery towards fans of Les Mis or any other sung-musical, that has never been inferred.
    I have merely picked up on comments made here, that are still here in black and white, that people who don't like sung-musicals are uneducated.

As I have said, I totally understand the passion and love for Les Mis, I myself am very passionate about certain genres and specific films but I certainly don't look down on people who don't immediately share the passion.

So please enlighten me where the inverted snobbery lies within my post.

I would submit that it lies in your use of "snotty Les Mis fans". The very use of the word "snotty' in this context betrays inverted snobbery. Or, at the very least, someone who can dish it out, but comes over all defensive when others disagree. And no-one on here has alleged that anyone who dislikes sung-through musicals is uneducated.
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    I would submit that it lies in your use of "snotty Les Mis fans". The very use of the word "snotty' in this context betrays inverted snobbery. Or, at the very least, someone who can dish it out, but comes over all defensive when others disagree. And no-one on here has alleged that anyone who dislikes sung-through musicals is uneducated.

The word "snooty" is rightly given to posters such as Kolin Klingon who in post number #515 http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1768009&page=21 mentions keeping the uneducated out of the theatre - this is in direct reference to people who were not totally aware of the fully-sung nature of Les Mis.

He then mentions it again in post #519 on the same page - along with the accusation that we're like bleating sheep and highlighting our own ignorance.

Still if you, as a mature 50something gentleman, are happy to condone his sanctimonious views then more fool you.
    Personally i prefer to keep an open mind and let people view what they want to and make their own mind up.

By your username i presume you're a Bond fan, as am i - a very big Bond fan. I loved Skyfall but accept that some audience members hated it for various reasons. I don't agree with them but i certainly wouldn't spout off on here that they're uneducated and they should clear their minds, or make statements like "If you don't like Bond movies like Skyfall - don't go and see them".
    Excuse me but how exactly can someone decide if they like something without seeing it???

Perhaps it's Kolin Klingon who needs a little education.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    On a more positive note, I think it's fantastic that the movie's soundtrack is at the top of the UK charts, and that the movie itself is still at the top of the boxoffice chart, which goes to show that Les Mis IS reaching a whole new audience, and the love for this musical is being spread in a way that only performing it in theatres could never do.

That has got to be a huge positive, as it means that more and more people are getting to see what it is that made this musical so loved in the first place.

In that respect, this movie is such a gift, and I'll be forever grateful that it was given to us.
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to see this last night and rather enjoyed it, however I do think Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe were miscast, they are both decent enough actors, however they really can't sing (saying that Russell did get better as the film went on) just get the feeling that they wanted A List Actors to try and draw people in.

Ann Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried were amazing, fantastic acted and sang beautifully, they did kind of carry Hugh & Russell though in my opinion.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    wow. THAT was unexpected!

I've seen him sing before. Jason had his own TV show and Alfie Boe was a guest on it. Matt Lucas and Alfie were scheduled to sing 'The Impossible Dream' together but at the last minute Matt was ill and so Jason sang his part. I think everyone thought he would "gag" his way through and he surprised us all. He has an amazing voice and I hope we hear more of it in the future.
  • tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think in many ways Anne Hathaway steals the movie. She is a fantastic actress and absolutely perfect as Fantine. I know she isn't in the movie long but her presence would be extremely lost without that character.
  • ImOnlyWeeImOnlyWee Posts: 11,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think in many ways Anne Hathaway steals the movie. She is a fantastic actress and absolutely perfect as Fantine. I know she isn't in the movie long but her presence would be extremely lost without that character.

I agree.

Just listening to 'I Dreamed a Dream' it is absolute perfection. It's so raw, yet so beautiful. All her scenes were great, though I thought her time on screen was rushed, could maybe of given her at least 10 more minutes lol.

Also I think I remember one moment in the IDAD scene where she managed half a smile? I had goosebumps, it was magical!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandleo wrote: »
    Went to see this last night and rather enjoyed it, however I do think Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe were miscast, they are both decent enough actors, however they really can't sing (saying that Russell did get better as the film went on) just get the feeling that they wanted A List Actors to try and draw people in.

Ann Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried were amazing, fantastic acted and sang beautifully, they did kind of carry Hugh & Russell though in my opinion.

:D Oh I can assure you Hugh CAN sing. Check him out on You Tube. This wasn't his best vocals, but down to using "live vocal takes" so a few of those umpteen takes were probably much better than the one Hooper went with. But he wasn't miscast, nor, the more I watch it and vocal quality a la stage version becomes less and less of an issue, was Russell. I agree with the poster up thread (I think it was Irma Bunt who said they'd seen and heard Javroche sung better but never better acted.
  • GalindaGalinda Posts: 695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Oh I can assure you Hugh CAN sing. Check him out on You Tube.

I agree. People need to watch him in Oklahoma, Boy from oz, his solo shows etc. to see he can really sing although I think he sounds great in Les Mis too :)
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been to see it with my daughter, I was a bit so so about wanting to see it, but I was blown away. Anne Hathaway was mesmerising in her role. Best film I've watched in years.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Oh I can assure you Hugh CAN sing. Check him out on You Tube. This wasn't his best vocals, but down to using "live vocal takes" so a few of those umpteen takes were probably much better than the one Hooper went with. But he wasn't miscast, nor, the more I watch it and vocal quality a la stage version becomes less and less of an issue, was Russell. I agree with the poster up thread (I think it was Irma Bunt who said they'd seen and heard Javroche sung better but never better acted.
    Galinda wrote: »
    I agree. People need to watch him in Oklahoma, Boy from oz, his solo shows etc. to see he can really sing although I think he sounds great in Les Mis too :)

Yeah, he actually started out in musical theatre didn't he, long before he came to fame as Wolverine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yeah, he actually started out in musical theatre didn't he, long before he came to fame as Wolverine.
    Yup. His first role after leaving drama school was as Gaston in Beauty and the Beast, followed up with Joe in Sunset Boulevard. He did a couple of films in Australia which I thoroughly enjoyed, even though they were lightweight, before Trevor Nunn brought him over to The National to star in "Oklahoma" and there began my ever growing lust and admiration for him. :o He was nominated for an Olivier he didn't get, which I think was a travesty.

:o I know WAY too much about Mr Jackman don't I?

:p I cant believe I spelt Javert as Javroche in my last post. It's lack of sleep. I'm pulling all nighters watching the tennis from Australia. Oops.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see this last night and rather enjoyed it, however I do think Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe were miscast.

WOW alternate reality, Crowe was one of the worst castings i have ever seen, Jackman was jaw droppingly brilliant, I just cant imagine how any thought process could not see this. Bizzare.
  • googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup. His first role after leaving drama school was as Gaston in Beauty and the Beast, followed up with Joe in Sunset Boulevard. He did a couple of films in Australia which I thoroughly enjoyed, even though they were lightweight, before Trevor Nunn brought him over to The National to star in "Oklahoma" and there began my ever growing lust and admiration for him. :o He was nominated for an Olivier he didn't get, which I think was a travesty.

:o I know WAY too much about Mr Jackman don't I?

:p I cant believe I spelt Javert as Javroche in my last post. It's lack of sleep. I'm pulling all nighters watching the tennis from Australia. Oops.

Yes I remember seeing him in that production of Oklahoma all those years ago and remember him being fantastic.

Similar with Barrowman, who was really good in countless things on the London stage long before he came to global mega-ego attention in Who.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    WOW alternate reality, Crowe was one of the worst castings i have ever seen, Jackman was jaw droppingly brilliant, I just cant imagine how any thought process could not see this. Bizzare.

I think Jackman was an excellent actor and did that part well, my issue was that he couldn't sing for toffee, which I do think is rather important in a musical :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Again missing the point, I shouldn't need to be looking on YouTube video's to verify that an actor I've just seen in a musical can actually sing!
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again missing the point, I shouldn't need to be looking on YouTube video's to verify that an actor I've just seen in a musical can actually sing!

True, but I think it was a matter of direction. Once Tom Hooper decided to go for a 'live' singing take, the emphasis became more about the acting. Yes it was raw, but it was also good. For me, he made the right decision. Otherwise, they might as well have just filmed the stage show.