Les Miserables

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bluray wrote: »
    No one but themselves to blame?????

Why would anyone attempt to find out.

This film adaptation is sold to the masses as a musical, nothing more - nothing less.
    If you classy people know its all sung then that's bully for you. There's no law saying you should do research before seeing a film, if someone hears an interview with Hugh Jackman on the radio discussing the new musical he's in then who is to blame if that person takes him at his word and goes to the cinema to see it.

If it wasn't all sung you would have to cut out half of the songs:(
  • LMLM Posts: 63,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very happy as the songs I loved from the film never made the Highlights which is why I haven't been one of those who have it made to number 1. I will be 100 per cent buying this.

They do this a lot with musicals. There is always a highlights and then a full length one afterwards.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »

Glad I refused to buy a soundtrack that didn't have two of the best songs in the show/movie!

I'll be buying the deluxe edition so long as it isn't missing anything major, which it sounds like it won't be. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I ranked the performances when I first saw the movie. Anne and Sam are the standouts for me, with Hugh and Eddie just slightly below as I didn't think they were just as good as Anne and Sam were.
    Who did you think was the best out of Anne and Sam?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:p Rip off?

But very glad about this
    Those who have bought the original album will be able to complete their collection by purchasing the new tracks individually.

:o The fact that I have 5 different sets of cast recordings plus 3, soon to be 5 recordings of the show/film is neither here nor there. I console myself that a) a fool and his money are soon parted and I do get tremendous pleasure belting out the songs in the car where I cant offend anyone, and b) it's over a quarter of a century, so not all bought in one fell swoop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sam, but only just. I may be slightly biased though, I've been a fan of hers for years. I've always liked Anne Hathaway but this was the first time she really blew me away. Not much to choose between them, but Sam edges it because she's a better singer and it didn't look for a second as if it was her first film role.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see it the other night with no previous knowledge of the story, only knowing a couple of songs (The Susan Boyle one and "on my own" ;) ), but I generally enjoy musicals and had high hopes that I'd enjoy this.

My hopes were not realised.

Beyond Anne Hathaway's stunning show-stealing moments in the first 30 minutes, which had me on the verge of losing it, and thinking "here we go, this is going to be brilliant", there was little else of any interest to me. The same four songs repeated over and over, simultaneously sung lines of dialogue from separate characters meaning you had no idea what any of them are saying, a love story based on nothing whatsoever, no sense of grandeur or any reason for this to be a big-budget film beyond the opening scene with the boat, I just found the two hours after the opening 30 minutes incredibly boring.

I'm sure it's fantastic for all the Les Mis fans and West End aficionados, but personally I've come to the conclusion that I like my musicals with acting in between the songs rather than the ridiculous spectacle of conversations being held in song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The same four songs repeated over and over

Sorry, that's just factually inaccurate. There are repeated motifs in any score to any movie in existence, not just musicals, but to say that it's the same songs repeated is just not true.
    no sense of grandeur or any reason for this to be a big-budget film beyond the opening scene with the boat

Big budget doesn't have to mean grandeur. That would be completely at odds with the plot, so therefore pointless.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sam by quite a long distance. It is her performance that I remember most about the film.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see it the other night with no previous knowledge of the story, only knowing a couple of songs (The Susan Boyle one and "on my own" ;) ), but I generally enjoy musicals and had high hopes that I'd enjoy this.

My hopes were not realised.

Beyond Anne Hathaway's stunning show-stealing moments in the first 30 minutes, which had me on the verge of losing it, and thinking "here we go, this is going to be brilliant", there was little else of any interest to me. The same four songs repeated over and over, simultaneously sung lines of dialogue from separate characters meaning you had no idea what any of them are saying, a love story based on nothing whatsoever, no sense of grandeur or any reason for this to be a big-budget film beyond the opening scene with the boat, I just found the two hours after the opening 30 minutes incredibly boring.

I'm sure it's fantastic for all the Les Mis fans and West End aficionados, but personally I've come to the conclusion that I like my musicals with acting in between the songs rather than the ridiculous spectacle of conversations being held in song.

My sentiments exactly. I loved Helena and Sasha though. Brilliant
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,892
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :p Rip off?

But very glad about this

:o The fact that I have 5 different sets of cast recordings plus 3, soon to be 5 recordings of the show/film is neither here nor there. I console myself that a) a fool and his money are soon parted and I do get tremendous pleasure belting out the songs in the car where I cant offend anyone, and b) it's over a quarter of a century, so not all bought in one fell swoop.

....and now I have a brilliant mental image of you belting out "Look Down" whilst stuck in traffic. :D fantastic!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....and now I have a brilliant mental image of you belting out "Look Down" whilst stuck in traffic. :D fantastic!

:eek: The GBP should be grateful it's enclosed, I cant sing to save my life, my one refuge is the car on motorway trips. :D

(It used to take me 2 playings of The Complete Symphonic Recording to get from my place to my Mothers. The dog was traumatised by the time we'd traversed the M5 and M6!! :p )
  • maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just treated myself to the 'From Stage to Screen' book on amazon and it's already getting ready for dispatch! :)
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just treated myself to the 'From Stage to Screen' book on amazon and it's already getting ready for dispatch! :)

Let us know if you think it's worth buying, and thank you for being one of our 'test pilots'. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    streetwise wrote: »
    Let us know if you think it's worth buying, and thank you for being one of our 'test pilots'. :)

I will don't you worry. It was due for release next week but they've had them shipped in early, I couldn't resist :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will don't you worry. It was due for release next week but they've had them shipped in early, I couldn't resist :D
    I've preordered the DVD which is due out on Feb 26th. :confused: Wonder if that'll be early too?

I will let you know if it's worth getting (if the book's any good I'll buy that too. :o I have zero willpower when it comes to anything Les Miz related.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    I've preordered the DVD which is due out on Feb 26th. :confused: Wonder if that'll be early too?

I will let you know if it's worth getting (if the book's any good I'll buy that too. :o I have zero willpower when it comes to anything Les Miz related.)

I wanted to know about that DVD too. Wonder what's on it?

The book looks amazing as it allowed a little preview thingy on Amazon, can't wait to get it! :)
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just checked Amazon - Bluray is still on "sign up to be notified"...
    Forum Member
    WARNING: Opening this will make your blood boil!

These talentless nobodies get everywhere...:sleep::yawn::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to know about that DVD too. Wonder what's on it?

The book looks amazing as it allowed a little preview thingy on Amazon, can't wait to get it! :)

:mad: damn. I've just read the bits on amazon and it's fascinating. I'm trying to be really good and wait till the price comes down £16.50 is a lot for a book for me.
    On the other hand I've just d/l the actual book onto my Kindle. All for zero price. :p It gives a whole new meaning to "You'd have to pay me to read it" doesn't it?
    It took me aeons to read it years ago. I figure I can just dip in and out now it's on my Kindle.

(I rate it's chances of getting read right through again at slim to none. :) )

EDIT: Oh buggar! My finger involuntarily pressed *Order with One Click* on the book. It's got a delivery date of Thursday!!! As long as it's got plenty of Hugh Jackman and Eddie Redmayne in it too. :D

I totally blame you maddiesdoor. :p
  • PrincessEssexPrincessEssex Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to take my mum to see this last night and was dreading it.

Was quite good actually and huge crush on marius now!
    Forum Member
    It's a choice between a two hour wait for another film or Les Mis at 12....guess who's gonna win!...;)
    Had to take my mum to see this last night and was dreading it.

Was quite good actually and huge crush on marius now!

Don't we all :)
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't we all :)

No! It's all about Enjolras! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    No! It's all about Enjolras! :D