Options

Andy Murray the Celebrity

gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone noticed that tennis player Andy Murray, the geeky moody guy has now turned out to now look good and is more pleasant.

i think being in the media can be intimidating and awkward but he has adapted to it and is now very comfortable despite all that tabloid abuse,

So good luck Andy. :)

Comments

• Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tabs are as usual putting ridiculous pressure on him, talking to him as if directly 'don't do that again, Andy', 'don't freak us out Andy'.

The poor lad has enough to deal with without those bungholes all over him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    A bit like 'nick faldo' and unlike the likes of 'david beckham' Andy murray is a man dedicated to reaching the top of his sport and not selling himself to the media ....if he has a bad public image ,who cares....its being 'the best' the matters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I like this bloke. He's has had so much put on him by the media since a very young age. He hasn't been allowed to be grumpy or shy or maybe just a bit boring; to express his opinion about the English football team (one I share - and I'm English) or to not be in the mood to answer endless banal questions from sycophantic halfwits shoving microphones up his nostrils seconds after he's come off court. He is the best British tennis player I've ever seen and I am glad he's where he is now professionally. Yes it is nice that people have warmed to him more since last Wimbledon but perhaps the media also now need to get off his back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I think he's just a bit socially uncomfortable rather than bad tempered. He doesn't like the media intrusion so he's not going to bounce in front of the camera looking for the next interview. I think he's the sort to let his talent be the focus.
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isn't he part of the Simon Fuller camp now? he had to change to maximise his earning potential with sponsors. plus he's older now & more mature & probably more at ease with himself. good for him.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy's more ruthless match persona is so different from his personal character. He's quiet and intelligent and yes, sometimes socially awkward in front of the cameras, but that's improving as he continues to mature. Mind you, I quite like how Andy sometimes gives the media short shrift - as they put incredible pressure on him and have a knack of asking the most inane questions, when he's exhausted after a match!

Andy's not naturally charasmatic, as the likes of Connors and McEnroe were, but in his recent documentary, when he was at home relaxing with friends, he was remarkably easygoing and surprisingly funny. I think he's just a normal bloke, who wants to work hard to be as good as he can. I like him! Come on Andy! :D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NortyBette wrote: »
    I like this bloke. He's has had so much put on him by the media since a very young age. He hasn't been allowed to be grumpy or shy or maybe just a bit boring; to express his opinion about the English football team (one I share - and I'm English) or to not be in the mood to answer endless banal questions from sycophantic halfwits shoving microphones up his nostrils seconds after he's come off court. He is the best British tennis player I've ever seen and I am glad he's where he is now professionally. Yes it is nice that people have warmed to him more since last Wimbledon but perhaps the media also now need to get off his back.

IIRC the football thing was a retort to something said to him by a journalist. A bit of jokey banter about something got twisted into 'miserable Murray slags off the English' shitstorm by the press

Can't really blame him for not wanting to get involved in the whole 'celebrity' thing if thats how it gets treated by the press
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    NortyBette wrote: »
    but perhaps the media also now need to get off his back.

Since he has signed up to one of the most media expert management agency owned by Simon Fuller, his personal agent, Murray obviously has no intention of staying away from publicity.

In fact he is now considered in the publicity world as fair game when it comes to press critiques good or bad....he can't start crying wolf now...too late.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since he has signed up to one of the most media expert management agency owned by Simon Fuller, his personal agent, Murray obviously has no intention of staying away from publicity.

In fact he is now considered in the publicity world as fair game when it comes to press critiques good or bad....he can't start crying wolf now...too late.

Any examples of when Andy has gone down the sleb route in the past 4 years?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    rumandlime wrote: »
    A bit like 'nick faldo' and unlike the likes of 'david beckham' Andy murray is a man dedicated to reaching the top of his sport and not selling himself to the media ....if he has a bad public image ,who cares....its being 'the best' the matters.

^ This :):)
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure that's entirely true, at the end of his US Open he seemed more concerned about finding the sponsors watch he needed to wear as he lifted the trophy than in he did about the fact he'd won the whole thing.

And I say that as a strong supporter of Andy in his endeavours.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love his dry sense of humour:

"did you feel sorry for your parents, having to watch from the stands?"

"Um. No. I actually had to do it."
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that tennis player Andy Murray, the geeky moody guy has now turned out to now look good and is more pleasant.

i think being in the media can be intimidating and awkward but he has adapted to it and is now very comfortable despite all that tabloid abuse,

So good luck Andy. :)

As a Scotsman I get told I should be rooting for him as he is a fellow scot but I cannot abide the sarky dour faced runt.

And I love my tennis but hate him and his pointless presence with a passion, I hope he gets slaughtered if he gets to the final.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Scotsman I get told I should be rooting for him as he is a fellow scot but I cannot abide the sarky dour faced runt.

And I love my tennis but hate him and his pointless presence with a passion, I hope he gets slaughtered if he gets to the final.

Shame you can't be supportive of Monotone Murray. But I must admit, whenever he starts talking on camera, I change channels. The guy need tuition on how to speak in public.
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ivan Lendl was never charismatic either....who I can imagine is very expensive to hire as a coach..
    It seems it is not enough for Murray to be no 2 in the world, US open champion and Olympic Gold Medallist..he has to be charismatic and media friendly too and apologise for things he said when he was much younger....Rafa is also shy when it comes to the media and interviews....
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he's just a bit socially uncomfortable rather than bad tempered. He doesn't like the media intrusion so he's not going to bounce in front of the camera looking for the next interview. I think he's the sort to let his talent be the focus.

I think that's right - I know he has an agent and stuff but as a sports person you need that to be able to get the sponsorship deals or maybe it's an acknowledgment on his part he needs a bit of help with the media side.

At the end of the day the guy's in the spotlight because he can play tennis not because he's a media darling. Some people interact with people easily and enjoy being in the spotlight some don't - there is nothing wrong with either temperment and both exist in all ways of life.

He did get pretty cross with himself when he was losing but then a lot of people would get annoyed with themselves for failing and doing it seemed to work in motivating himself to do better. I think you have to be pretty tough to be a top flight sportsperson - you don't necessarily have to be charismatic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure that's entirely true, at the end of his US Open he seemed more concerned about finding the sponsors watch he needed to wear as he lifted the trophy than in he did about the fact he'd won the whole thing.

And I say that as a strong supporter of Andy in his endeavours.

thats a different kind of media behaviour...simply honouring his no doubt hugely lucrative contract with a sponser....not trying to become gary friggin linekar mark 2
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always liked him, never seen him as dour, just a bit socially awkward and shy, which can come across as moody or miserable (I should know, i suffer from this fate myself :rolleyes:).

I think he actually is quite charismatic. Charisma isn't necessarily about being a smiley, flirty media pro. It can just as much be about having an air of mystery and vulnerability, and quiet self confidence, all qualities which Andy does possess.

I think there has been quite a bit of media training and PR on his side in the last couple of years which has helped him project his personality better. Everyone in the public eye can benefit a little from that, and it doesn't seem to turned him into a gurning, fake media celebrity thank god.

Also, his girlfriend seems really lovely, after watching the documentary. Very down to earth, not at all showy or spotlight hungry. If his taste in partner says anything about him at all then it's safe to say he is probably a good guy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Have to admit I have never really liked him, but recently he has started to grow on me, his talent is without question, and I hope he does well today. I saw the post match interview he gave on the Beeb on Weds and the journalist asked him what he thought of the media saying he had an easy route through to the final now, he basically said how wrong it was and disrespectful to the other players as he knows how good they are as he has played most of them. He comes across as a quite shy guy who knows he has to play the fame game and certainly not a big look at me personality. Respect where its due he is ranked No 2 in the world and has worked his nuts off to achieve that.
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Bjorn Borg was a bit non-descript and never said anything to embarass himself or others.

AM has probably decided to let people 'think what they like about him, and not provide evidence when talking'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    thats a different kind of media behaviour...simply honouring his no doubt hugely lucrative contract with a sponser....not trying to become gary friggin linekar mark 2

Well said he is a media personality whether he likes it or not but he is a good role model he sees the media has part of the job not his actual job...Andy will be remembered for his tennis unlike brand Beckham who became a famewhore and will be remembered for that than a great footballer, sad but true!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised how well he scrubbed up in the photoshoot which featured in the programme about him.

With his wild hair tamed and his excellent bone structure accentuated, he looked like a professional model.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Murray is playing up to the media. He is just himself, a tennis player. He makes money from sponsorship.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    Well he played brilliant today!
  • Options
    MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Roll on Sunday go on Andy you can do it :D