Windows 10

Are you getting it or not? Even through its a free download to Windows 7 or 8 users. They may be a problem with downloading it in the workplaces until its gets approval from bosses.

Comments

• shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my Windows 8 laptop, yes. I only use it for web browsing and basic stuff.

On my Windows 7 PC, no. I use that for playing EVE plus I have a lot of software which may or may not be compatible.
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I will be getting it when some clever bod produces a stand alone installation disk and I will then install it as a fresh install on another hard drive. I will then dual boot it and evaluate it whilst getting it up and running. I can also still go back to windows 7 when I've had enough of watching things install.

Trouble is that my Windows 7 install is so complex with all the other programmes that I must have and it also runs my entire HTPC set-up with many Satellite and Freeview cards. So it will take many days to transfer all that across and getting it set up just how I want it before I make the final jump to Windows 10.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am using it at the moment, although it is running inside a virtual machine on top of 8.1. It seems to be a pretty decent OS. There have been a few bugs so far like the start menu corrupting and the store app crashing but that is to be expected with a beta OS.

I will probably be upgrading most of my pcs to Windows 10 when it is released next month.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    I am using it at the moment, although it is running inside a virtual machine on top of 8.1. It seems to be a pretty decent OS. There have been a few bugs so far like the start menu corrupting and the store app crashing but that is to be expected with a beta OS.

I will probably be upgrading most of my pcs to Windows 10 when it is released next month.

The problem is it is pretty close to not being beta and if they can not get the menu sorted then what other bugs is there to watch out for?

I am running build 10130 at the moment and the menu still got the same problems. I may download the free version and store it, but I would not risk it as my main OS
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll wait. perfectly happy with 7 at the moment and in no rush to upgrade.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. Updates are great. Even Windows updates.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    I'll wait. perfectly happy with 7 at the moment and in no rush to upgrade.

They'll force it on you what ever you decide sooner or later like they don't give people the option of whether they wanted to install Windows 8.1 or not
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not for a while anyway. I downgraded my new laptop to 7 and it's working perfectly for me and I don't want to do an unnecessary change for change sake.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    They'll force it on you what ever you decide sooner or later like they don't give people the option of whether they wanted to install Windows 8.1 or not

To be honest that wouldn't surprise me. If they do, I'll just reformat back to 7 again unless they pull an Apple and start to make downgrading increasingly more difficult
  • stripestripe Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had to downgrade my laptop to xp, as i do a tad of multitrack recording and the delay on windows 7/8 is a joke, have tried every workaround on the net but that slight delay is always there.
    xp is spot on.

on a seperate note only threw away my windows 95 computer last month when i cleaned the shed out,
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    My plan is to stick it on my Windows 8 notebook to try it out. Limited downside as I'm not that keen on W8 anyway.

Then if all goes well I'll put it on my W7 desktop too.
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stayed with 7, 8 had loads of issues and kept causing me to crash so I'll update it only if and when I have to.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I may get a window 10 laptop in the future, but I'm not upgrading. I have never had good experience with running a computer with a different operating system than what it was shipped with.
  • OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate 8, with a passion. I've been running it for over a year now and still don't know my way around it. I'll get 10 as soon as it prompts me to.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be getting it when some clever bod produces a stand alone installation disk and I will then install it as a fresh install on another hard drive. I will then dual boot it and evaluate it whilst getting it up and running. I can also still go back to windows 7 when I've had enough of watching things install.

Trouble is that my Windows 7 install is so complex with all the other programmes that I must have and it also runs my entire HTPC set-up with many Satellite and Freeview cards. So it will take many days to transfer all that across and getting it set up just how I want it before I make the final jump to Windows 10.

theres been a standalone disc image available for ages and you can clean boot from the start, but you could just clone your existing setup for another HDD, update that and see how it works, and/or play around with that in a VM

i've been using it in a VM for a while and it's pretty decent. i stuck it on an old small form factor pc for someone to just use to browse online and it works great on old hardware
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you use Windows Media Center for Satellite + Freeview, then you're SOL with W10 - WMC is being retired and cannot even be installed as a paid for addon (as with 8). Story here

I use WMC + quad HD tuners for TV, so I'm sticking with W7 for the time being

{ SOL = sh*t outta luck ]
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to do all these updates to stop them pestering me so no doubt I'll download Windows 10 when I get fed up of pop ups about it blocking my internet usage
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »

Not on me they won't.

My version of Windows 7 isn't.... entirely legal and my hardware was designed for Vista so won't be able to run W10 anyway! :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    I hate 8, with a passion. I've been running it for over a year now and still don't know my way around it. I'll get 10 as soon as it prompts me to.

You'll get the Start menu back for one thing, without having to install a third party program.

The file will come down as a .exe I've been told, so you can burn that to a DVD or upload it to a cloud service.
    shaddler wrote: »
    On my Windows 8 laptop, yes. I only use it for web browsing and basic stuff.

On my Windows 7 PC, no. I use that for playing EVE plus I have a lot of software which may or may not be compatible.

The Get Windows 10 icon functionality tests for software and hardware compatibilities, but whether it is fully accurate may be a different story.
    Are you getting it or not? Even through its a free download to Windows 7 or 8 users. They may be a problem with downloading it in the workplaces until its gets approval from bosses.

You shouldn't be downloading it at work anyway, unless that's part of your job. Somebody else will take care of that. You'll need administrator access anyway to install it and not all W7 users are eligible. You have to have SP1 installed and an activated copy of Windows..

Anyway, I'll install it initially to a separate partition, so I can test it first, particularly for hardware incompatibilities. That's the proper way to do it, rather than upgrade W7/8 straight away. Microsoft tell me this will work, but knowing them you'll need W7/8 installed first, rather than installing on a blank partition.
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    If you use Windows Media Center for Satellite + Freeview, then you're SOL with W10 - WMC is being retired and cannot even be installed as a paid for addon (as with 8). Story here

I use WMC + quad HD tuners for TV, so I'm sticking with W7 for the time being

{ SOL = sh*t outta luck ]

No I used DVBViewer which whilst not free, it's quite cheap and updates forever. I brought it a few years ago now and just update it every so often.

Could never get on with media centre.
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Not on me they won't.

My version of Windows 7 isn't.... entirely legal and my hardware was designed for Vista so won't be able to run W10 anyway! :D

That's why I'm waiting for some clever bod to errrr ummm produce the stand-alone full install and try that out on a separate hard drive.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll probably wait until 10.1 or the first service pack to come out, which will address many of the initial problems. I am happy to let others find the bugs and other usability issues first, and wait for Microsoft to fix them.

My Windows 7 and 8 boxes work fine at the moment, and as I rely on them heavily for my work and therefore my income, I will only upgrade once I am certain there will be no issues.
  • swishbabyswishbaby Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Quite happy with Vista thanks all the same.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I'll probably wait until 10.1 or the first service pack to come out, which will address many of the initial problems. I am happy to let others find the bugs and other usability issues first, and wait for Microsoft to fix them.

My Windows 7 and 8 boxes work fine at the moment, and as I rely on them heavily for my work and therefore my income, I will only upgrade once I am certain there will be no issues.

According to Microsoft there will not be any service packs for windows 10, just incremental updates that come in through the windows update service.

With the home edition of Windows 10 you will not have a choice whether to install critical updates as they will be installed automatically.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, perfectly happy to get the free upgrade as soon as it's available.