2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    BB USA for me ,,,,im getting bored with our format
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, I've revised my opinion. While I do still enjoy BBUK, I'm starting to prefer BBUS. It's hardly BB though, only in name.

That said, it's still a superior entertainment show to ours. And I'm tired of the constant Z-List culture associated with ours now.
  • ohboyohboy Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as a bb u.s. person who watched bbuk for the first time this year, i think your bb is hardly bb.

the outside influence, tampering with nominations, revealing diary room sessions (!!!), new HMs added into the game with outside knowledge -- all of that is hardly big brother. from what i've gathered, you take it as normal that a HM will walk and others may be added. that never happens in the u.s.

oh, and, yeah -- we have 24/7 live f'ing feeds.

so i think the u.s. is much closer to the big brother concept in terms of the bb and HMs' experience. the winner is decided differently, but the concept of watching what happens when HMs are isolated from the outside, that to me is the most important thing, and bbuk hasn't preserved that core part of the concept.

i also prefer the game and competition of bb u.s. vs. the popularity contest of bbuk, but i did enjoy both the regular season and cbb, so it's not like i think it's horrible. i just prefer the game, which is why i was an aaron fan.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    ohboy wrote: »
    as a bb u.s. person who watched bbuk for the first time this year, i think your bb is hardly bb.

the outside influence, tampering with nominations, revealing diary room sessions (!!!), new HMs added into the game with outside knowledge -- all of that is hardly big brother. from what i've gathered, you take it as normal that a HM will walk and others may be added. that never happens in the u.s.

so i think the u.s. is much closer to the big brother concept in terms of the bb and HMs' experience. the winner is decided differently, but the concept of watching what happens when HMs are isolated from the outside, that to me is the most important thing, and bbuk hasn't preserved that core part of the concept.

i also prefer the game and competition of bb u.s. vs. the popularity contest of bbuk, but i did enjoy both the regular season and cbb, so it's not like i think it's horrible. i just prefer the game, which is why i was an aaron fan.

I understand what you're saying but US BB is constantly being interfered with only by the producers who seem to regularly manipulate events. And though the audience actually have live feed and get to see how they cope while properly isolated the constant game playing is actually a very false enviroment to watch. Sometimes it is very tiring and I miss some of the more fun elements of the UK BB house.

However, I do like that the house mates decide the winner and the evictess. That is so much more enjoyable than mass voting from a public who get it wrong so much imo.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KillerJoe wrote: »
    You should check out last years and the year before.. Rachel would surely change your opinion! The selection of HMs in the US is so good, the dramas are massive and you see some nasty fights break out!

I saw the year that Rachel won, I did like her actually. I still don't really like the idea that they're playing a game though.
  • ohboyohboy Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you're saying but US BB is constantly being interfered with only by the producers who seem to regularly manipulate events. And though the audience actually have live feed and get to see how they cope while properly isolated the constant game playing is actually a very false enviroment to watch. Sometimes it is very tiring and I miss some of the more fun elements of the UK BB house.

However, I do like that the house mates decide the winner and the evictess. That is so much more enjoyable than mass voting from a public who get it wrong so much imo.

oh, bb definitely manipulates the housemates. it's actually very "big brother" of them to do so, too.

the housemates have to decide whether they want to play with or against bb. in the last two seasons, both of the winners were acutely aware of bb's manipulation, but for very different reasons.

rachel knew that bb would purposefully manipulate the game because she went through it before. but in the previous season, hayden, who was recruited to the show by randomly meeting a casting person on an airplane and hadn't watched it before, figured out bb's manipulations almost immediately, and then went on to play a perfect game, outplaying bb. i don't like hayden as a person, but he played an amazing game and it was great to watch.

i think bb in the u.k. manipulates its HMs also. last season, i saw bb encouraging/manufacturing showmances (alex and tom?!), encouraging jay to make peace with aaron, making jemma paranoid about aaron, etc.

i think bb manipulates the u.k. audience more than the bb u.s. does, and the campaigns they run for and against HMs on BOTS are outrageous.

about bb u.s. being a "false environment," i don't see what goes on in bbuk as being real at all, because you can absolutely see people playing to the audience. i think after a decade of bb, the "social experiment" aspect isn't really possible anymore. cameras and reality shows and the bb concept are no longer new. everyone in the u.k. knows how to please the audience, how to play to the cameras. and they all do it, no matter what they say.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with quite a lot of that and even though I've only seen the last series of the US show I was about to say they do have Pandora's Box, they do decide what type of competitions to have (which may favour some HMs), they decide who is allowed to take part in them etc.

However if we still had live stream in the British version I think you would see more natural behaviour as people can't really act 24/7.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    ohboy wrote: »

I completely disagree. BBUK is way more 'Big Brother'. In BBUK, the housemates are under a lot more pressure and it's a lot harder for them in the house. In BBUSA, everything is luxurious and they're under basically no pressure. Yes, in BBUSA the gameplay concept does make it harder for the housemates to live with eachother but not in the same way as BBUK. In BBUK, they pick such a variety of people from appalling people to normal people and have so many twists that the housemates turn crazy. Also, 'Big Brother' is about being watched. We see way more of what actually happens inside the house. In BBUSA, it's so bloody edited and stagy that they're isn't anything real we see. As for the use of public in BBUK, it adds more pressure and turns the housemates even more crazy. Overall, I think BBUK is more un-predictable and exciting while BBUSA is predictable, boring and fake.
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched BBUSA a couple of years ago or something and I liked it but nowhere near as much as BBUK. I don't really like the fact that they are playing more of a game and concentrating just on winning etc.

Its better that way. And lets be honest, they are exactly the same in the UK but just play it differently (suck up/be nice etc)

BB:US has become meh over the last couple years I feel but still 100x better than BB:UK
  • scotslassiescotslassie Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the US big brother. (Dan should've won last year)

Someone tell me exactly when does it start, please. Is it this Wednesday night?
  • BadmkBadmk Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the US big brother. (Dan should've won last year)

Someone tell me exactly when does it start, please. Is it this Wednesday night?

Yep starts this Wednesday or Thursday morning for UK viewers! So exciting! As for which format is better just look at viewer retention over the years there is a clear winner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Badmk wrote: »
    Yep starts this Wednesday or Thursday morning for UK viewers! So exciting! As for which format is better just look at viewer retention over the years there is a clear winner.

There really is no atmosphere with BB USA really dreary
  • steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BB USA for me as at the end of the day BB has and will always be a game & BB USA Embrace that
  • MariaLeFrink2MariaLeFrink2 Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »
    tbh BB USA kicks the UK Version out of the water.

Its a Game Show there unlike here. theres a reason why The USA version is still pulling in the viewers.

Our version is full of fame hungry people. The fights are rubbish.

The tasks on BB USA are better and all about endurance our HM's give up way to easily.

BB UK Died for me when i watched BB USA for the 1st time from season 8 onwards.

I accidentally stumbled onto the us version of BBUS via E4, I think they were airing BB9 and was positively titillated at how drastically different it was, I watched every other season pretty much non-stop on YouTube and I was very hooked.

The tasks are much more enjoyable, I love the strategy and the almost kind of pot luck that come along with it. BBUK nearly always the same formulaic winners, the public always vote out the same kind of personalities... I like people fighting to win the prize money, not just relying on being a dippy/eccentric/uneducated personality.