Can you download tunes from amazon to put on to a cd?

My daughter downloaded through her laptop some tunes for me from amazon on to a dvd-r but when I come to play it on my Bush cd player it won't play.
Are we using the right kind of blank cd or is it not possible to be able to make a cd to play on a cd player?

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible but your Bush CD player most probably won't be able to play music in the MP3 file format. Your daughter needs to convert them to the WAV format first.
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It is possible but your Bush CD player most probably won't be able to play music in the MP3 file format. Your daughter needs to convert them to the WAV format first.

Thanks. She's out at the moment but I'll tell her when she comes back.
    My Bush cd/radio player when I switch it to play a cd it also says cd/mp3. So I thought that meant that I would be able to play a cd with downloaded music.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    My Bush cd/radio player when I switch it to play a cd it also says cd/mp3. So I thought that meant that I would be able to play a cd with downloaded music.

In your first post you say you have it on a DVD - if that is the case then it won't play on a CD player
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    In your first post you say you have it on a DVD - if that is the case then it won't play on a CD player

Yes she downloaded some tunes from amazon for me and put them on to a dvd-r disc.
    She says you can't play downloads as they are files, you need to convert the files into a format suitable.you can't play mp3 files on a cd player.
    But if like you say you can't play the dvd-r disc on a cd player. She thought I was going to play the disc through my laptop which is quite old and we did try but it failed to recognize the disc.
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes she downloaded some tunes from amazon for me and put them on to a dvd-r disc.
    She says you can't play downloads as they are files, you need to convert the files into a format suitable.you can't play mp3 files on a cd player.
    But if like you say you can't play the dvd-r disc on a cd player. She thought I was going to play the disc through my laptop which is quite old and we did try but it failed to recognize the disc.
    Depends how old your laptop is but if it is say 9 years or older chances are it may only play commercially made DVD's. A DVD disc is never going to play on a CD player but many CD Players for some time have had the ability to play compressed MP3 files. Even if the CD player can't play MP3 files it is still very easy to burn music on to a CD-R which will play on any CD player like a normal CD. There are loads of software options including the obvious ones like Itunes and Windows Media Player which have this ability.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you still have the manual then check what the mp3 bit means. It could be that your cd player can actually play mp3 files on a cd or it may just refer to an auxiliary input for an mp3 player.

One other thing to check is if she 'finalised' the cd after the music files were copied. Some programmes do it automatically but others you will have to select the option. If the CD is not finalised then that could also be a reason it didn't play.

Edit: But if it was a DVD-R disk then that would definitely explain it!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although CDs DVDs and Blu Ray disks all look very similar they are three totally different formats. They all work by shining a laser at a disk with a bunch of microscopic pits that reflect the light back in a way that the player interprets as digital data.

However the size of the pits on a DVD is very much smaller than CD and Blu Ray even smaller still. The laser in a CD only player cannot focus the beam small enough to see the pits in a DVD disk, hence why it cannot play it.

So to play your music in a CD only player you must use a CD recordable disk.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...when I switch it to play a cd it also says cd/mp3. So I thought that meant that I would be able to play a cd with downloaded music.

Yep sounds quite positive. As long as it's on a cd rather than a dvd that should work.

On the plus side most dvd writers will also write cds (as CDs came first) - so all your daugther needs to do is get the right disk to start with
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of thanks to eveyone on here for their help. My daughter got some cd's and was able then to dowload and its playing on my cd player now.
    Much appreciated everybody's help on here.:)