The Apprentice - 'Junk Shops'; BBC1 9PM

1262728293032»

Comments

• Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E05297535 wrote: »
    But she was spending money like nobody's business!! And he sees the potential of having said Gabby as a business 'partner'??? Maybe I'm overlooking something here!!

Still the PM should have gone outright as she didn't assess the overall business strategy and got carried away with 'Crabby Bleak'...i mean shabby chic!! LOL

Gabby's strategy was sound - "upcycling" (oh, that word!) those items potentially added value and gave them unique products to sell that wouldn't be available in any old boot sale or second-hand shop. The execution was appalling, and in my view de-valued to original pieces, but the idea was reasonable enough, and it should have been the PM's call as to how much they spent... that's what LS meant by "enthusiasm", I think.

Anyway, by coincidence or otherwise, Gabby & Jenna had the biggest sales in the team (two-thirds of the whole team's sales between them), so they were always going to be safe, as LS loves good salespeople, and as soon as they said Jane only sold £10 of stuff, I knew she'd be canned if she was in the final 3...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    D.Page wrote: »
    There were a couple of priceless moments in last night's episode:

(at 07:18) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3s0sAI9Z_k

I could not believe what I was hearing straight after Laura was chosen as PM:
    Laura: "Being an attractive businesswoman can have it's ups and downs, but people shouldn't be fooled by that because I have also been described as a Rottweiler in the past"

Whaaaaat!!! :eek: It's not for her to say whether she's attractive or not, that's for others to judge (I had to rewind my SkyBox just to make sure that she did actually say that!).

(at 12:23) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFDlDoGWVQ&feature=relmfu

To be honest I was amazed Dara didn't pick up on it on You're Fired. It's one of the greatest self proclamations I've ever heard on the show, couple that with her statement about how awesome she was when asked who impressed her, methinks young Laura has a bit of an ego.

As an aside, Adam and the guy with the eyes need to step up to PM. Both of them have shied away from it so far despite their boasts... Adam particularly is starting to grind my gears.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aside, Adam and the guy with the eyes need to step up to PM. Both of them have shied away from it so far despite their boasts... Adam particularly is starting to grind my gears.

Yes, yes, yes! It's interesting and annoying that both tend to be quiet when comes to stepping up, but so vocal about PM's management and the like.

Well, Adam (red-faced blonde) was a bit better in latest episode as he's started to acknowledge others' efforts and did his best to ensure team work. He still needs to sort out his smugness, though.

It's Ricky who sorely needs to step up as he's always critical about the others' efforts yet made himself invisible during each PM selection process. Get on the platform, man!

Stephen (crooked jaw) wasn't as bad as I thought. I thought he would be like Ricky and Adam, but so far he might be boastful and know-it-all, but he has so far supported his team whenever possible. I'd still like him to step up, though.

I'd also like Jenna (That Voice) to step up, too. I think she'll be a surprise. In both good and bad ways.
  • AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    (at 12:23) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDFDlDoGWVQ&feature=relmfu

The market scene, when Stephen, Adam and Jade were haggling with the market trader to lower the price of one of her items to a pound "OK, you can have it for a pound ... as long as you promise you'll go away!!!" :D:D:D

I LOVED this! I nearly died laughing because it was so true, they were so annoying. A pound is a small price to pay...
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Poor Jane, seems like she lost all her killer instinct. She was like an empty shell this episode.
    She was my favourite initially, and also in episode 1, but after that my opinion plummeted. But I did like Jane on You're Fired though. Was also surprising to have the female candidates talk about her always being happy and always smiling. :D Where was that Jane?

I'm glad Gabrielle survived. She's a bit of a trainwreck, but I like that she is passionate and really commits to it. I'm not sure if she's good at raising her voice, she always sounds like she's about to crack and suddenly massacre the whole boardroom.

Was supposed to be Tom's breakout episode, but wasn't really impressed with him. There was practically a question mark above his head the whole time. He's not unlikeable but certainly the blandest candidate of all. :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    I switched off when I found out which team had won, one of the dullest Apprentice episodes ever. None of the candidates are even slightly interesting.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabby's strategy was sound - "upcycling" (oh, that word!) those items potentially added value and gave them unique products to sell that wouldn't be available in any old boot sale or second-hand shop. The execution was appalling, and in my view de-valued to original pieces, but the idea was reasonable enough, and it should have been the PM's call as to how much they spent... that's what LS meant by "enthusiasm", I think.

Anyway, by coincidence or otherwise, Gabby & Jenna had the biggest sales in the team (two-thirds of the whole team's sales between them), so they were always going to be safe, as LS loves good salespeople, and as soon as they said Jane only sold £10 of stuff, I knew she'd be canned if she was in the final 3...
    The idea of upcycling is reasonable, if you have the time and expertise to do it. They had neither. In the time available the winning strategy was buy quality items cheap, clean them up and sell them dear.

Jenna's agressive haggling over 5p was ludicrous. Jane desperately demanded people buy stuff. She claimed to be trying to get punters into the shop but there was a lot of footage of here trying to sell too.
  • SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Poor Jane, seems like she lost all her killer instinct. She was like an empty shell this episode.She was my favourite initially, and also in episode 1, but after that my opinion plummeted. But I did like Jane on You're Fired though. Was also surprising to have the female candidates talk about her always being happy and always smiling. :D Where was that Jane?

I'm glad Gabrielle survived. She's a bit of a trainwreck, but I like that she is passionate and really commits to it. I'm not sure if she's good at raising her voice, she always sounds like she's about to crack and suddenly massacre the whole boardroom.

Was supposed to be Tom's breakout episode, but wasn't really impressed with him. There was practically a question mark above his head the whole time. He's not unlikeable but certainly the blandest candidate of all. :yawn:

What a shock exit! I never expected Jane to be fired, what was LS thinking? I feel Jane was playing a bit of a strategic game, staying out of the spotlight and aiming to shine later on, maybe thinking that on the basis of her CV she'd be safe for a bit.

I think it's a shame she's gone, I'd have liked to see more of her.

What I liked about Tom was that in the boardroom he unequivocally said that he didn't have a bad word to say about anyone in his team, before the numbers had come up.
  • D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Socha wrote: »
    I feel Jane was playing a bit of a strategic game, staying out of the spotlight and aiming to shine later on, maybe thinking that on the basis of her CV she'd be safe for a bit.

I don't believe that this was her plan, and that tactic is never going to work with Lord Sugar, anyway. She just failed to live up to her application form of achievements sufficiently enough, up to now. Shame, she is a decent person, unlike some of the others.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched it on iPlayer and the first thing that struck me was what a completely stupid idea it was to buy stuff, then spend more money on materials and lots of time in 'upcycling' them - why not just buy stuff and sell it on as it is? That union jack stuff was just an horrendous pile of tat. And Gabriel's idea of 'wanting a 'brand' stencilled on it just for ones day's sales was equally as daft

I think all three deserved to go, Laura was useless as the PL, Gabriel too twee and mumsy and Jane for not doing a lot. Jenna has one of the most grating voices I have ever heard and think she deserves to go for that alone :D

I was wondering if there is much animosity in the house between tasks after all the shrieking at eachother in the boardroom each week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have just seen the episode.

few things.

laura is a bitch. Azhar lost alot of confidence. Gabrielle is a passionate worker. ricky is slimy. Jane was unlucky to get fired. Should have been laura.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering if there is much animosity in the house between tasks after all the shrieking at eachother in the boardroom each week

It's hard to say how personally they take it. Gabrielle and Laura seemed quite amiable together afterwards in spite of fighting in the boardroom. I think some of them see it as "Well, it's the boardroom, you've got to fight as hard as you can, and there's no point staying angry at someone for fighting their corner".

Some, of course, do take it personally. Remember Melissa Cohen proclaiming that her competitors would be karmically retributed? :D
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Jane needed to go, so did Laura.

When you give someone a "float" to use in a particular way (as Gabby was for materials) then it doesnt take a business degree to realise that it may get spent!.

At no time did I hear Laura say that they had to rein in the materials spend, until it became the issue in the boardroom.

Laura failed totally in controlling the budget, she failed in the whole "shabby chic" idea, and completely failed to realise the time it takes to renovate tat.

So for all Janes failings, Laura should have been given the old heave ho this week......
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with this episodes as I was away,

I haven't real all the other posts but I doubt I'm the first person to be reminded of this Harry Enfield sketch whilst watching
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    If Jane needed to go, so did Laura.

When you give someone a "float" to use in a particular way (as Gabby was for materials) then it doesnt take a business degree to realise that it may get spent!.

At no time did I hear Laura say that they had to rein in the materials spend, until it became the issue in the boardroom.

Laura failed totally in controlling the budget, she failed in the whole "shabby chic" idea, and completely failed to realise the time it takes to renovate tat.

So for all Janes failings, Laura should have been given the old heave ho this week......

I disagree. Gabby should have realised that spending so much money on renovating tat was a mistake. The materials and time it took to renovate something of such low purchase price was a huge mistake. Also, it was obvious that there just wouldnt be the time to renovate in a professional way. Waiting for paint to dry comes to mind! And, the Union Jack designs? OK for tourists but would they pay for shipments home? Gabby is creative and a really nice girl but she was totally out on this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Just caught up with the last episode. Made me laugh a couple of occasions (Duane misquoting 'looking a gift horse in the mouth', and the car boot lady saying she would sell the items to them if they would go away.

Gabrielle's enthusiasm was impressive but her upcycling of the union jack furniture was just ugly. Not surprised at the lack of interest in them.