Cat clawed carpet under door. Can it a be stretched?

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
I locked my cat in the bedroom today after the little shit hid under the bed not realising it was in there I locked it in. Came home tonight and it's pulled the carpet from under the door and shredded about one inch wide by about 2 inches long off the grippers. Wondered if it was possible to just get a carpet fitter to stretch it back over and regrip it. Not got the money to pay for a new carpet and I can't just leave it as the cat will just keep pulling at it now that it's loose. It doesn't feel amazingly tight so hoping it can be done.

I've cut off the loose threads but it's left a bald patch which i'm hoping can be stretched out.

Any ideas?

Comments

• _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Now that's just cruel!
  • Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    Now that's just cruel!

Might be able to make a little rug out of the cat perhaps? :D:D

Sorry Wizzie. :o
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might be able to make a little rug out of the cat perhaps? :D:D

Sorry Wizzie. :o

No I totally agree with you. If it was up to me it would be down the cats home tomorrow. Even though I locked it in it's got a habit of hidin under the bed. I tell ya what, I bloody feel like it. That carpet is less than a year old. Waited 5 years to get it done and it's ruined already. Wife's gone ape s**t. Cost us £250 and the local firm who did it is no longer in business so don't think i'll even get a new carpet to match up now. The whole house is done in the same stuff. To top it all off some idiot ran into my wife's car tonight causing £300 quid's worth of damage and did a runner so i'm not having a good weekend so far.
  • Katana1000Katana1000 Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    I locked my cat in the bedroom today after the little shit hid under the bed not realising it was in there I locked it in. Came home tonight and it's pulled the carpet from under the door and shredded about one inch wide by about 2 inches long off the grippers. Wondered if it was possible to just get a carpet fitter to stretch it back over and regrip it. Not got the money to pay for a new carpet and I can't just leave it as the cat will just keep pulling at it now that it's loose. It doesn't feel amazingly tight so hoping it can be done.

I've cut off the loose threads but it's left a bald patch which i'm hoping can be stretched out.

Any ideas?

You might be able to stretch it a bit, hard to say without seeing it first hand, or you could disguise it by fitting a second aluminium divide beside the original one or one of same material?

My current cat has done this to the carpets of doors he wishes to enter in my house so I'm going to bite the bullet soon and lay laminate down everywhere ... that will fox him :p

Also since he loves to claw at my best carpet, I'll save a bit from it once I go laminate and make a scratch post with it that he'll hopefully use in future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I totally agree with you. If it was up to me it would be down the cats home tomorrow. Even though I locked it in it's got a habit of hidin under the bed. I tell ya what, I bloody feel like it. That carpet is less than a year old. Waited 5 years to get it done and it's ruined already. Wife's gone ape s**t. Cost us £250 and the local firm who did it is no longer in business so don't think i'll even get a new carpet to match up now. The whole house is done in the same stuff. To top it all off some idiot ran into my wife's car tonight causing £300 quid's worth of damage and did a runner so i'm not having a good weekend so far.

These things always seem to happen at once. Could you perhaps put a small mat down to protect the carpet there? At least then it wouldn't scratch the carpet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katana1000 wrote: »
    You might be able to stretch it a bit, hard to say without seeing it first hand, or you could disguise it by fitting a second aluminium divide beside the original one or one of same material?

My current cat has done this to the carpets of doors he wishes to enter in my house so I'm going to bite the bullet soon and lay laminate down everywhere ... that will fox him :p

Also since he loves to claw at my best carpet, I'll save a bit from it once I go laminate and make a scratch post with it that he'll hopefully use in future.

Don't mean to sound cruel but i'm seriously thinking of getting shut of the animal. He's clawed wallpaper in 3 rooms and had to strip all the paper off and make do with painted walls one of which was so bad underneath I had to have it replastered. He's constantly having a go at my sofa. It's not ruined yet but soon will be if he carries on as i'm cutting threads off it every week. It will be threadbare before long.

I really regret ever having a cat. They are nothing but ungrateful destructive eating, crapping machines.

Can't do with laminate but it's no good in a bedroom. The only other option is to see if I can get a really wide gripper or something to cover it. I don't think a patch up job will work as cats always seem to find the weak spot.

Again i'm sorry to sound cruel but if it wasn't for my wife i'd have got shut of it years ago. No animal is worth having your home wreaked for. It's not as if I get any love off it. All it does it eat sleep and and crap and bring in mice and dead birds but my wife won't let me get rid of it. It's even gone for my son and swiped his face once. It cost me about £100 a year to flea and vaccinate it not to mention about £140 a year to feed the damn thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These things always seem to happen at once. Could you perhaps put a small mat down to protect the carpet there? At least then it wouldn't scratch the carpet.

Not without shaving the door. I could put something over it but then i'd not be able to close the door. I shouldn't let such a thing upset me but I really do feel like breaking down and crying. Ever since we moved in this house it's been slowly wrecked by cats. Wallpaper, furniture, carpets not to mention bringing in mice, sometimes live who only 2 weeks ago managed to do a runner from the cat straight into my shoe rack and decided make a nest and totally chew it's way though my best pair of All Stars. He brings in birds not always dead and have to spend ages cleaning up blood, bird poo and feathers. He's clawed the bottom of my stair carpet, sofa and generally just a bloody pain in the ass.

I can honestly say cats cause more cost and nuisance than what I get back.

At first it seemed like a good idea but after the birth of my son we just don't have time for them anymore. It's not fair on them really. I think we should find them a better home but my other half won't agree to it.

Anyway that still doesn't change the fact that my carpet is knackered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't mean to sound cruel but i'm seriously thinking of getting shut of the animal. He's clawed wallpaper in 3 rooms and had to strip all the paper off and make do with painted walls one of which was so bad underneath I had to have it replastered. He's constantly having a go at my sofa. It's not ruined yet but soon will be if he carries on as i'm cutting threads off it every week. It will be threadbare before long.

I really regret ever having a cat. They are nothing but ungrateful destructive eating, crapping machines.

Can't do with laminate but it's no good in a bedroom. The only other option is to see if I can get a really wide gripper or something to cover it. I don't think a patch up job will work as cats always seem to find the weak spot.

Again i'm sorry to sound cruel but if it wasn't for my wife i'd have got shut of it years ago. No animal is worth having your home wreaked for. It's not as if I get any love off it. All it does it eat sleep and and crap and bring in mice and dead birds but my wife won't let me get rid of it. It's even gone for my son and swiped his face once. It cost me about £100 a year to flea and vaccinate it not to mention about £140 a year to feed the damn thing.

Hmmm, obviously a cat is not for you but possibly your wife wanted one? Pets should be for life and I hope if you do get shot of the cat as you suggest, that you do the decent thing and find it a decent home who's owners are aware of the pitfalls and pleasure of owning such a pet.

Not all Cats do this BTW, my last one never but my new one does ... but I love animals and Cats especially, so I'll work around it ... there may be other solutions to your problem that other users might chime in with yet ... so hold fire with your thoughts of getting shot of the Cat until others have responded.

If you decide to get another pet please do a little more research into the potential pitfalls of each different animal before taking the plunge again ... I'm not being hard on you, you seem fairly responsible in paying its vets fee's and feeding costs so far, but its seems you grudge that too?

Good luck and don't be hard on the Cat, it does not understand right and wrong like we do and was just trying to get out of a room to another part of its universe it knew existed ... maybe entice it out from under the bed with a laser pen toy next time, no Cat can resist chasing the red dot.
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Insurance is your friend. Carpet and car
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents protect their sofas with throws. Seems to work reasonably well. As long as you get ones that cover all the sofa.

You can solve the wallpaper problem by not having any. Best not to when you have cats.

To be fair, not all cats make it their life mission to destroy carpets. I can understand its upsetting though. You just have to find ways to pet proof your house.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wizard - do you have a scratching post for your cat? Couldn't you put a few around the house for her to scratch and get her used to using them? And putting citrus oil down in areas that you want to encourage her to stay away from.

Lots of good advice here:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-a-Cat-from-Clawing-Furniture
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Our kitten has done the same to our carpets :(

Purchased some pet behaviour spray from Pets at Home and sprayed the carpet every day for a couple of weeks - he stopped doing it.

Whenever I hold up the bottle or one of similar size - he does a runner now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you cut your cat's nails... not violently, but sometimes trimming the sharp edge off helps. Having said that, my cat is a housecat, so I know that makes a difference as yours may lose in fights without nails.

As for the carpet, do you have any offcuts left? There is plently of advice on the web on how to fit a patch to cover a damaged piece, may be worth a look. Ironically, I'm about to do the same as my lovely cat damaged around a door. I don't blame him though, his scratching post had started to die and I'd not trimmed his nails.

I think you and your partner need to discuss the pets as you clearly have some resentment, perhaps its better off elsewhere?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magenta01 wrote: »
    Do you cut your cat's nails... not violently, but sometimes trimming the sharp edge off helps. Having said that, my cat is a housecat, so I know that makes a difference as yours may lose in fights without nails.

Not only that, but a Cat might make a jump outdoors and expect its claws to grip ... its a waste of time though because its claws will just grow back sharper and the Cats instinct is to claw at things to retain the sharpness all the more, so you will just make matter worse ... and as you say, outdoors it wont be able to defend itself.
    I think you and your partner need to discuss the pets as you clearly have some resentment, perhaps its better off elsewhere?

Agreed.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    If your cat is behaving like this then it has no respect for you. Claim on your insurance, that's what it's there for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    If your cat is behaving like this then it has no respect for you. Claim on your insurance, that's what it's there for.

And expect your future insurance premium to rise ... do you think any insurer is going to pay out for something like this.

And no doubt some will say, mine did.

But the point is, the Cat will strike again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately I don't have house insurance but even so i'd still have to pay the excess, risk my premiums going up. For £200 I can get a new carpet. Not worth it. Anyway I didn't come on to ask cat advice. I wanted to know how or if the carpet could be repaired/stretched.

To answer previous posts, yes i've tried the keep off sprays, the plug in deterants. Got scratch posts all over the house. Even tried spraying the furniture with really strong aftershave. Nothing works. He just scratches wherever he happens to feel like it. I've so had enough now. This thing has ruined my home and caused me more stress than anything else and now it's time it went. What's the point in keeping a pet that causes you nothing but stress and upset?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Goodness, such negativity! Cats are cherished angels and watch over you.
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately I don't have house insurance but even so i'd still have to pay the excess, risk my premiums going up. For £200 I can get a new carpet. Not worth it. Anyway I didn't come no to ask cat advice. I wanted to know how or if the carpet could be repaired/stretched.

You should have home insurance. What happens if you have a flood or a fire?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should have home insurance. What happens if you have a flood or a fire?

Well I didn't see the point as it's council property. Contents insurance doesn't cover carpets as far as i'm aware.

Plus the fact that whatever we'd have been paying in premiums would have been a lot more than the cost of a new carpet so it's cheaper to take the chance. I might think about it now though.
    Forum Member
    Well I didn't see the point as it's council property. Contents insurance doesn't cover carpets as far as i'm aware.

Plus the fact that whatever we'd have been paying in premiums would have been a lot more than the cost of a new carpet so it's cheaper to take the chance. I might think about it now though.

Of course they cover carpets. They cover practicly everything.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just get a wide gripper or make one out of a thin but strong bit of wood and stain it screw it down tight.

Train your cat not to claw anything with a squirter water bottle or pistol I have never had a cat destroy anything.. I would pick them up mid scratch as kittens and take them to their scratch post and press their claws out and run them down the post, scratch anywhere other than that and you get water squirted they soon learn without ill affects .. Do not spray them in the face just a quick squirt up the back end or side is enough makes sure it has a good range
    Forum Member
    Just get a wide gripper or make one out of a thin bit of wood and stain it screw it down tight.

Train your cat not to claw anything with a squirter water bottle or pistol I have never had a cat destroy anything.. I would pick them up mid scratch as kittens and take them to their scratch post and press their claws out and run them down the post, scratch anywhere other than that and you get water squirted they soon learn without ill affects .. Do not spray them in the face just a quick squirt up the back end or side is enough makes sure it has a good range

Plenty of cats love water, so this doesn't always work. Some are often in sinks playing with the plug and the tap for drinking and splashing around purposes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodness, such negativity! Cats are cherished angels and watch over you.

No they are ungrateful unloving animals. They are not loyal and will go wherever someone will feed them. They're out most of the night then spend all day sleeping. When he's not sleeping he's bringing in birds, mice or trampling in with muddy paws then walks all over my nice clean bath, window etc. He keeps jumping in my linnen basket causing the lining to rip. This is now my second one. When it's not that he's having a go at the carpet, the walls or my sofa. I even caught him trying to have a go at my shed door last week. The thing is nothing but a pest which is costing me money to keep. I'd save more money and have less mess and damage by getting rid of the thing.
  • springtimeloverspringtimelover Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of cats love water, so this doesn't always work. Some are often in sinks playing with the plug and the tap for drinking and splashing around purposes.

A couple of mine loved water but hated the water pistol as it wasn't on their terms and they wasn't able to play with it.

Do not spray other than when it doing something it should not do, do not spray for your amusement as then its just a waste of time and you wont teach it anything other than to run when squirted