Gabrielle should have been fired.

jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
Forum Member
✭✭
Common sense should tell you that you don't spend £300.00 on painting products for old furniture, also the way she did up that furniture was awful. yes she tried but failed imho.

Jane did'nt sell much because she was pulling in the people from outside the shop.

Comments

• iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not just about 1 task though she had credit in the bank from designing the tshirts and her attitude, whereas the Irish girl had been in the final three 3 times already and hadnt impressed Nick or Karen.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabrielle may have gone overboard on the extras, but she made up for it by selling the most stock.

Jane seems to be good at what she knows, but isn't versatile enough. And I'm not sure what Laura's good at. I'd have fired her.

Gabrielle was the safest of the three, and rightly so.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gabrielle comes across as a follower..She was in the boardroom and said that no one told her that she/they shoudl'nt/could'nt spend x amount of £££. To me that is a major fail purely on basic business common sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would've agreed had she not been the top seller - I think she deserved to escape for that reason alone.

There was another six people in the team. They made a profit of £700, didn't they? Gabrielle sold £400 of that.

I'm not sure if Jane was the correct candidate to be fired, but then I have no idea who did what. The only candidate that was 'picked on' was Gabrielle, so we only got to hear about her flaws in the task.

What did Duane, Nick and Ricky do in this task?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura didn't come across well at all to me - I'd definitely have fired her. Even though you could argue it's 'common sense' not to spend as much as they did on materials, as PM it seems like 'common sense' to set a firm limit for Gabrielle and co. to work from.

I think Sugar likes Gabrielle but I'm not sure how far she'll progress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Gabriel's creative streak and the fact that she sold more stuff than anyone else stand her in good stead.

I don't think she was brilliant because she did get carried away with her creativeness by spending too much money on materials but she certainly wasn't hopeless either.

Whereas Jane only managed to sell 10 pounds worth of stuff. If Jane had sold as much as Gabriel, they would have won the task!

And the PM, Laura, seemed completely out of control and was also worthy of being fired this week too IMHO.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,968
    Forum Member
    Gabrielle was in a team with Jenna and Nick and though I appreciate she was pretty much the leader of this sub team in terms of creativity, no one else questioned how much was being spent least of all Laura, the project manager, well at least until the result was revealed :rolleyes: All of them went along with Gabrielle's ideas and anyway I think she only spent £200 of the £300 and if this was too much to spend on these extras why did Laura give her that amount.

Gabriell was creative, had ideas and sold well and according to YF they'd have lost anyway even without what Gabrielle spent so there is no way she should have been fired.
  • EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buying door knobs for £4.00? Gabrielle got carried away, she may have creative flair but a business woman she isn't. However L.S seems more impressed with creativity these days and he likes polite people, so hey ho expect Gabrielle in the final. Laura should have gone but I'm pleased it was Jane.
  • DixDix Posts: 78,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Gabrielle may have gone overboard on the extras, but she made up for it by selling the most stock.

Jane seems to be good at what she knows, but isn't versatile enough. And I'm not sure what Laura's good at. I'd have fired her.

Gabrielle was the safest of the three, and rightly so.

Except their team failed, and Gabby only thought of spending more money, and hence she had to sell more stock to make up for over-spending which isn't the way to do things.If she worked for LS and did that, she wouldn't last long.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sold the most, but spent the most too.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabrielle may have gone overboard on the materials for upscaling but she was a great team member and did put her heart and soul into doing up those quirky items.

I’d have bought the footstool with the numbers embossed on it and you can’t fire anyone for coming up with ideas, seeing them through and selling well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Headlock wrote: »
    Laura didn't come across well at all to me - I'd definitely have fired her. Even though you could argue it's 'common sense' not to spend as much as they did on materials, as PM it seems like 'common sense' to set a firm limit for Gabrielle and co. to work from.

I think Sugar likes Gabrielle but I'm not sure how far she'll progress.

I think Laura came across as a very good PM throughout the task. It's only when she got to the boardroom that she let herself down, in my opinion.

Naturally, if you do more (Gabrielle, Laura) you're going to be in the firing line because the more you do, the more the responsiblity lays at your door.

I'd be interested to hear what the others did (we've figured Jane was outside all day, and Jenna was the second best seller). So what did the boys do?

Jane definitely was the weakest female in this task, she doesn't seem to have done much at all, so her firing is justified but if we throw the males into the mix, then I'm not convinced she should've been fired.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    capekdeh wrote: »

To be fair, the team spent £600 overall.

Gabrielle sold £400's worth. I think she more than made up for her share of spending.

Had the other six candidates pulled their socks up as much as her when it came to selling, then they would've stood a better chance.
    Forum Member
    Dix wrote: »
    Except their team failed, and Gabby only thought of spending more money, and hence she had to sell more stock to make up for over-spending which isn't the way to do things.If she worked for LS and did that, she wouldn't last long.

Yes the team failed. If Jane had sold more than only £10 they might have had a chance. If Laura had given the sub team only £50 they might have had a chance. If any of the other members of the sub team had thought about the financial side and tried to reign Gabrielle in they might have had a chance. Gabrielle offered the most in that task through ideas, creativity and hard sales. It would have been outrageous to fire her.
    capekdeh wrote: »

On YF they said they'd have lost even without Gabrielle's purchases so what they really needed was more sales and Gabrielle was the best at that, the others let the team down there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Order wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear what the others did (we've figured Jane was outside all day, and Jenna was the second best seller). So what did the boys do?

Jane definitely was the weakest female in this task, she doesn't seem to have done much at all, so her firing is justified but if we throw the males into the mix, then I'm not convinced she should've been fired.

I'd have liked to have found out everyone's sales figures from that team - with Gabrielle and Jenna making £800/£1400, it's not out of the question to think that some of the others apart from Jane had pretty weak sales too.
  • DixDix Posts: 78,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the team failed. If Jane had sold more than only £10 they might have had a chance. If Laura had given the sub team only £50 they might have had a chance. If any of the other members of the sub team had thought about the financial side and tried to reign Gabrielle in they might have had a chance. Gabrielle offered the most in that task through ideas, creativity and hard sales. It would have been outrageous to fire her.

On YF they said they'd have lost even without Gabrielle's purchases so what they really needed was more sales and Gabrielle was the best at that, the others let the team down there.

Gabby has a very expensive creativity sense, especially as the money wasn't hers in the first place. You could be creative with a lot less...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The edit was bad for Gabrielle it only showed the awful union jack stuff, showed her going gaga over buying materials, and showed her team critising her.
    When in reality it seems she did the union jack stuff but she did other stuff as well, that stuff sold, she also sold really well generally, and worked hard.

LS had no intention of firing her, based on this task, but i have a feeling he likes her cos shes 'creative' and it dosent matter isf she messes up several times she'll go far.
    Forum Member
    Gabby has a very expensive creativity sense, especially as the money wasn't hers in the first place. You could be creative with a lot less...

That's an interesting criticism. Obviously it wasn't any of theirs so maybe Laura, the holder of the money as the project manager should be held responsible as she gave so much out unlike Tom, the other project manager.
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe she could have but Jane didn’t make a terrific job of anything. Instead of coercing customers into the shop she frightened them off. Flapping 10% off flyers at people didn’t help her either. She wasn‘t seen suggesting the 10% be used to buy the stock displayed outside or maybe she did and that‘s how she managed the risible £10 in sales.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Gabriel wasn't supposed to go overboard on the decoration why did the PM give her £300 to spend? Yeah, she didn't have to spend it all but don't give her the option in the first place.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Order wrote: »
    There was another six people in the team. They made a profit of £700, didn't they? Gabrielle sold £400 of that.

I think it's a bit misleading to give someone's sales as a share of the profit, rather than of the total sales.
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    If Gabriel wasn't supposed to go overboard on the decoration why did the PM give her £300 to spend? Yeah, she didn't have to spend it all but don't give her the option in the first place.

That's what I keep saying. Why did Laura give her that much in the first place? I really think it's a bit of a red herring though. Laura heard the details in the board room and decided to use it to her advantage but as was mentioned on YF they would have lost even without what Gabrielle spent.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »

Agreed. Laura clearly trusted Gabrielle to be the leader of their sub-team in any way she may see fit and that includes the handling of the £300 budget.

In honesty, £300 was way too much. If Gabrielle really needed the materials to upholster some items, Laura could make that part of the buying team's task. Source and buy retro junk textiles (curtains, bed spreads, rugs and so on) at bargain prices and recycle items (use knobs and handles off damaged furniture items at a skip or whatnot), and use those to prettify the items.

This does mean making Gabrielle part of the buying team, which may not be good because I think Gabrielle may resist that by insisting she should be in the 'creative' team.

Gabrielle has a lot of great ideas, creativity and enthusiasm, but I think not being that practical (and probably, frugal) may be her downfall. But it was a pleasant surprise that she turned out to be the best seller, which suggests she's most suited to working in advertising (creativity and sales).

That said, Laura was the weakest link in this task because she didn't seem to be detail-oriented. She just allocated roles to her team members and got on with it. Perhaps she trusted too much?

While I think it was good that Jane went, Laura should have went on the basis of her poor debating skills in the boardroom alone.
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like it when the 'creative' person gets the blame in a situation where they were the only one offering some sort of solution (like with laura and the bathroom riot shield, she didn't force it on anyone just came up with an idea). Gabrielle spent too much but there was no one else offering guidance and its not like she was an expert - just trying her best.

If you steamrollering your creative input then yes, get fired, but if you are taking on all the responsiblity and creativity and sell well, then its madness to get fired!

Laura should have been fired for thinking she could just act cute and that would motivate people, with no eye on detail or expenses.
  • blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Agreed. Laura clearly trusted Gabrielle to be the leader of their sub-team in any way she may see fit and that includes the handling of the £300 budget.

In honesty, £300 was way too much. If Gabrielle really needed the materials to upholster some items, Laura could make that part of the buying team's task. Source and buy retro junk textiles (curtains, bed spreads, rugs and so on) at bargain prices and recycle items (use knobs and handles off damaged furniture items at a skip or whatnot), and use those to prettify the items.

This does mean making Gabrielle part of the buying team, which may not be good because I think Gabrielle may resist that by insisting she should be in the 'creative' team.

Gabrielle has a lot of great ideas, creativity and enthusiasm, but I think not being that practical (and probably, frugal) may be her downfall. But it was a pleasant surprise that she turned out to be the best seller, which suggests she's most suited to working in advertising (creativity and sales).

That said, Laura was the weakest link in this task because she didn't seem to be detail-oriented. She just allocated roles to her team members and got on with it. Perhaps she trusted too much?

While I think it was good that Jane went, Laura should have went on the basis of her poor debating skills in the boardroom alone.

I agree - and what the hell were the boys doing? who was in charge of budget? Laura could have allocated the creative team budget to jenna.