The Digital Spy Apprentice - Series Two - Task Three Boardroom

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    I think the weaker point was the Support Acts - there was a lot of controversy over the ones we had picked and whether they were suitable as a support act.
    gav016 wrote: »
    I'm really happy with our overall pitch, however, the commenters seemed to criticise our act selection in relation to the number of dates we had.

And do you think these criticisms are fair?

In regards to the teams as a whole, it looks like there was a lot of infighting and criticism going on within Team Reflections; is that true? And Viveza, did you guys get along fine throughout?
  • xKatieLxxKatieLx Posts: 4,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went through a lot of acts to find a suitable artist and Louise and Justin i believe came up with the idea of using a disney artist and then we chose Demi Lovato as a result. Not everyone wanted Demi including myself but everyone worked on it and it was a good atmosphere.

I think the weaker point was the Support Acts - there was a lot of controversy over the ones we had picked and whether they were suitable as a support act.
    Satanel wrote: »
    I would say our weakest point of our pitch were the supporting acts. I'm not really basing this on my personal opinion (though, I didn't necessarily agree with all the supporting acts used), I'm basing it more on the questions that were asked at the end of our pitch. Of the six-or-so questions that were asked, about five of them regarded the supporting acts.

I would just like to say, whenever I was deciding on support acts. The whole team aside from Justin was present and and to my knowledge neither of yo two raised these concerns at the time. Also the whole team agreed on the final support acts and I did ask for team member's opinions on the support acts before the final decision on who were support acts was made.
  • NarutoFan100NarutoFan100 Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anactoria wrote: »

In regards to the teams as a whole, it looks like there was a lot of infighting and criticism going on within Team Reflections; is that true? And Viveza, did you guys get along fine throughout?

I thought the criticisms were fair, some of the supporting acts could be seen as bigger than the main act, which was a fault.

We didnt have any major fights or disagreements, but a couple of issues surrounding the artist we were using were bought up to the surface. Apart from that, everything was fine and we all worked together.
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't say we were arguing since I wasn't bringing it up too much. I definitely debated against Katie at the start because I was sure Katy would give a good concert, but I didn't fight against Jess' opinions because we'd already done a lot of work. There was no point in the debate carrying on, I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,389
    Forum Member
    I didn't notice anything, but I wasn't here during the day of Saturday, this whole afternoon no one squabbled at all.

& Although I understood the questions and thought they were fair, the task guidelines said nothing about promotion and costings, so, it's not really something we would have done.
    Forum Member
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    I would just like to say, whenever I was deciding on support acts. You were there and to my knowledge you didn't raise these concerns at the time. Also the whole team agreed on the final support acts and I did ask for team member's opinions on the support acts before the final decision on who were support acts was made.
    Actually, regarding support acts, I have a question to both teams:

Why did you feel the need to include so many support acts when this was a minor, non-mandatory part of the task? I mentioned that you could choose 'a' support act, but both teams decided to pick several, which might have been detrimental to other parts of the task. I recognise that many acts do have more than one act to support them on tour, but for this task, it wasn't necessary.
  • I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dondfan998 wrote: »
    To be honest, you were MSN'ing me the whole of the next morning saying 'I can't believe we're using Katy, Katie Melua would be so much better'. We are a team and the decision we make together sticks, it was something I don't particularly think you got over.

That isn't true in the slightest, for one, I didn't even go onto MSN until around 12pm, and when I was on there, I was discussing the content of the poster with Gav. Throughout the weekend, I jokingly said 'Katie Melua ;)' which was of course meant in sarcasm.

If I was as negative as you are making me out to have been, I would have done minimal work with minimal effort, but I think it's clear to our advisor Pete- who received every bit of work I have done- that I put my all into it, and thought positively.

On the evening in question, I was simply campaigning for the act I had spent 2 hours debating about!
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member

Not especially - people seemed to have trouble understanding the concept of a realtively lowkey artist touring to improve recognition within a certain area - acts like Ellie Goulding toured in the US before they had any big breaks, and we felt like Katy was the kind of act who could do something similar - tour to gain a loyal fanbase as a sort of promotional activity.

I think our team, on the whole, worked quite well, but there always was an undercurrent of tension between people, but everyone did pull together in the end, and over last night/today I think we came up with some great stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just like to say, whenever I was deciding on support acts. The whole team aside from Justin was present and and to my knowledge neither of yo two raised these concerns at the time. Also the whole team agreed on the final support acts and I did ask for team member's opinions on the support acts before the final decision on who were support acts was made.

In the discussion, i never heard of Jason Derulo, that might be because i was not there but i wasnt present for that supporting act getting chosen. Also, there were a lot of suggestions that were better in my opinion, e,g, Victoria Justice that never got chosen, and would not have caused a fault.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why did you feel the need to include so many support acts when this was a minor, non-mandatory part of the task? I mentioned that you could choose 'a' support act, but both teams decided to pick several, which might have been detrimental to other parts of the task. I recognise that many acts do have more than one act to support them on tour, but for this task, it wasn't necessary.

This I DID bring up in the conversations we had. Katie said she would like to have four support acts for each night, I followed this up with "Do you not think four is a bit extreme? I've only ever been to concerts where they have two support acts at a maximum." I then researched Lady Gaga's latest tour to find she only had one support act a la The Darkness, but this was ignored. Also, I thought we could have chosen much better supporting acts than what we decided on eventually - I think my suggestions would have worked in our favour more so than the likes of Jason Derulo & Pixie Lott.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,389
    Forum Member
    We actually only used two supporting acts for each leg, one for the whole tour and a different one per leg. We wanted the support act to be recognizable to the country they were performing in which would attract people, who say don't even know who Katy is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it was Louise who delegated me the role of choosing support acts. She delegated me nothing else so I tried to write as much as possible for the part of the pitch about support acts. I felt I could have brought more to the task so also contributed by writing a full evaluation for the task which was ignored by the PM and I also wrote an evaluation for the support acts too.
    Forum Member
    Amroussi wrote: »
    I didn't notice anything, but I wasn't here during the day of Saturday, this whole afternoon no one squabbled at all.

& Although I understood the questions and thought they were fair, the task guidelines said nothing about promotion and costings, so, it's not really something we would have done.
    The task guidelines didn't say you should include costings, yes, but realism was still a large part of the task, and cost is implicitly included in that. I appreciate that your team chose to focus on smaller venues, but there's still a lot of cost involved when you have several artists to accommodate and 72 venues, and you guys seemed to sidestep that a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That isn't true in the slightest, for one, I didn't even go onto MSN until around 12pm, and when I was on there, I was discussing the content of the poster with Gav. Throughout the weekend, I jokingly said 'Katie Melua ;)' which was of course meant in sarcasm.

If I was as negative as you are making me out to have been, I would have done minimal work with minimal effort, but I think it's clear to our advisor Pete- who received every bit of work I have done- that I put my all into it, and thought positively.

On the evening in question, I was simply campaigning for the act I had spent 2 hours debating about!

Jess, I have no problem with you, so this is a case of what happens in the boardroom stays in the boardroom.

When you said Katie Melua - repeatedly, I must say - there was no winky face or intention of sarcasm. And when we had our private MSN conversations you CERTAINLY had a go at our act. I remember you saying along the lines of 'A Katy B concert would just be Lights On 10 times over, how boring' and 'This concert's gonna be terrible, I think Katie Melua would be better'

Too late, sadly. You had your chance to appeal. We had a long appeal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the discussion, i never heard of Jason Derulo, that might be because i was not there but i wasnt present for that supporting act getting chosen. Also, there were a lot of suggestions that were better in my opinion, e,g, Victoria Justice that never got chosen, and would not have caused a fault.

Well no one mentioned the name Victoria Justice to me. And I seen you a lot in the task and you never brought it up once that I heard and if ou were so keen for it to be chosen why'd you not PM me about it, e-mail me about it or MSN me about it if you wanted Victoria Justice to be chosen because no one mentioned about it to me and that's news to me.
    Forum Member

We didn't spend too long on the support acts, but we felt they were necessary to make the tour a little more exciting. The write ups on our acts didn't take too long to produce, and we were all in agreement on the acts themselves, so we thought it was just a fun extra touch to add a little more detail and enhance the 'party tour' vibe we had envisioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well no one mentioned the name Victoria Justice to me. And I seen you a lot in the task and you never brought it up once that I heard and if ou were so keen for it to be chosen why'd you not PM me about it, e-mail me about it or MSN me about it if you wanted Victoria Justice to be chosen because no one mentioned about it to me and that's news to me.

You can ask any other team member that i did mention Victoria Justice, and you were the one to create the support acts lists so should have considered all the possibilties.
  • cheekypetercheekypeter Posts: 6,552
    Forum Member
    gav016 wrote: »
    I wanted to take everyone's choices into account, so we went through a long, drawn out process of researching into different areas - quirky acts, big acts, comebacks etc and then narrowing it down. We had quite an intense discussion on Friday that lasted too long, but eventually we settled on Katy B as opposed to the other viable suggestion - Katie Melua.

Watching this discussion was unbearable. I was actually glad when my PC broke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What do you expect to be honest when you have four people with four different ideas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can ask any other team member that i did mention Victoria Justice, and you were the one to create the support acts lists so should have considered all the possibilties.

I'm sorry but you never once mentioned this to me and I'm sure David (Tyjet / Nick) will back me up on that point. :)

I'm not in your team but this made me laugh. :D
    Forum Member

I would probably agree, not my best moment - Friday was a bit of a bad night all round for me. But I think I brought it back from there in the next two days.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but you never once mentioned this to me and I'm sure David (Tyjet / Nick) will back me up on that point. :)

I'm sorry Katie, but Victoria Justice was mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In regards to the support acts, I spent this afternoon writing intensively about three of them, but that was because I had finished my delegated task, and we believed that a little more detail could be added, so I was happy to do that.
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member

I just checked and he did actually mention Victoria Justice to you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This wasn't the finest hour from any of our team's perpective!