Atlantic FM sold to Global

Comments

• -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,810
    Forum Member
    But it wasn't just the same music log, it was Heart, complete with idents and adverts.

Devon adverts?
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neilus wrote: »
    They must be doing some sort of test transmissions for Heart FM at the moment, I had music clashing with the news from Sky, and just before the news there was a 1KHz tone in the background! All other times there's tone that sounds every now and again in the background.

That'll be the test tone from the Sky News center.. Followed by the "this is sky news" intro.. *Radio nerd*:rolleyes:
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Devon adverts?

They sounded national as if it were the London version, that's probably what the Devon ads are mostly anyway, there's only the odd few local commercials left too, so who knows!
  • do aboutdo about Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Rodney wrote: »

Among our many competitions, you could be in the running for exclusive concert tickets and maybe even an intimate meet-and-greet session with a top music star.

Which will be Take That or Michael Buble again no doubt.....
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neilus wrote: »
    They must be doing some sort of test transmissions for Heart FM at the moment, I had music clashing with the news from Sky, and just before the news there was a 1KHz tone in the background! All other times there's tone that sounds every now and again in the background.

GWR / GCAP / Global still haven't fixed that? :rolleyes: Trent FM, Heart 106, and Xfm all suffer/suffered from this every now and again.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Notice this morning they're not mentioning the station name, just "The Heart of Cornwall"....
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,810
    Forum Member
    http://www.atlantic.fm/ all gone, except copyright notice in footer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have there been noticeable signs of Pirate upping their 'localness'?
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMedia can officially put Heart on their list of clinics now.
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have there been noticeable signs of Pirate upping their 'localness'?

I hope Pirate have got something up their sleeve because mentioning a few car boot sales and shouting about how they're the only commercial station based in Cornwall just ain't gonna cut it when the Heart marketing bandwagon rolls into town.

And to anyone who says Cornwall won't accept a station mostly networked from London - stop kidding yourself. People said the same about Devon, Dorset and Norfolk and they've been proved very wrong.

There's no love lost between Global and UKRD. Global have got the cash, the brand and the sheer arrogance to think they can blow Pirate out of the water. UKRD have the heritage and the local card - but will it be enough?

Cornwall's in for an interesting ride ...
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    I'd say the first thing they should do is ensure their news sounds better than Heart. Same goes for travel, weather, plenty of place name mentions etc. I know what you're saying Simon but I think the Cornish audience IS more deiscerning than that in Devon or Dorset - hence Pirate's continuing success ratings wise compared to Atlantic's 16% (which in an urban market would be considered healthy).
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon243 wrote: »
    I hope Pirate have got something up their sleeve because mentioning a few car boot sales and shouting about how they're the only commercial station based in Cornwall just ain't gonna cut it when the Heart marketing bandwagon rolls into town.

And to anyone who says Cornwall won't accept a station mostly networked from London - stop kidding yourself. People said the same about Devon, Dorset and Norfolk and they've been proved very wrong.

There's no love lost between Global and UKRD. Global have got the cash, the brand and the sheer arrogance to think they can blow Pirate out of the water. UKRD have the heritage and the local card - but will it be enough?

Cornwall's in for an interesting ride ...

You REALLY are geographically naive, and ignorant of local culture, aren't you??:rolleyes:

A bit like your mate who referred to the Radio Scilly afternoon show as "drive".......dear oh dear...:o
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wckartist wrote: »
    You REALLY are geographically naive, and ignorant of local culture, aren't you??:rolleyes:

No, I'm well aware that the Cornish have a certain pride and independence from the rest of the UK thank you.

So do the Scots - and the London-centric Capital's doing better than Galaxy, Xfm and Beat 106 ever did.

The only naive people are those who think Pirate have nothing to worry about just because they're local. Make no mistake, Global are throwing everything they've got at the Atlantic relaunch and know that while Cornwall is unique in some ways, listeners there like Take That and the chance to win £60k as much as everyone else.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Check the RAJAR in a years time - Pirate FM will have incrementally increased listener share. I guarantee it.

It's so depressing to hear an ILR in it's death throes - I've stopped listening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check the RAJAR in a years time - Pirate FM will have incrementally increased listener share. I guarantee it.
    Back that up, give some reasons why? Rather than just making meaningless predictions we'll forget about in 12 months time.
  • vcsvcs Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Come on guys...let's face it...tier two stations everywhere have been a failiure. It's very hard a second tier commercial station battling for revenue from the heritage local...not to mention a reduction in advertising costs over the years (internet being the culprit of a lot of this).

Atlantic has never raised great listening figures and has always sounded to me as a weak version of Pirate.

So, Cornwall is left now with a relay of a national strong brand with some local segments thrown in and a 100% locally focused station in Pirate...not to mention BBC R Cornwall.

I'd say Cornwall gets a pretty good deal there...especially as there are areas in the country with nothing but a Heart FM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMedia can officially put Heart on their list of clinics now.
    Looking back that post didn't make sense, what I should have put is clients not clinics.

But I'm sure you all worked that out. ;)
  • overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking back that post didn't make sense, what I should have put is clients not clinics.

But I'm sure you all worked that out. ;)

I assumed you meant that GMedia had moved into the private health care sector, opening a new Heart clinic. ;)
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Of course Pirate has plenty to think about with the advent of Heart. And I'm sure UKRD are savvy enough to know that you don't simply bombard the airwaves with "localness" trails and liner cards. This tactic simply draws listener attention to the fact that SOMETHING has happened in the market - which might just draw them away.

What Pirate has on its side is consistently good listening figures. Surely that's the bottom line.

In areas where Heart has replaced a heritage brand it's done well. But there are fewer areas where Heart has actually got a heritage brand left to compete with. On that count alone, Pirate should do well in the face of its new competition.
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Heart started in London in the mid 90s. Capital, at that point undisputed number 1 in the area with their CHR format, suddenly started playing The Eagles a lot. It sounded really odd and audience figures slipped. They did the same sort of thing when Kiss started challenging. I can't help feeling Capital wouldn't've suffered their decade-long decline if they had ignored the competition and just carried on doing what they did best.

How should Pirate FM react - do they make changes in response to Heart (and, if so, what), or just keep doing what they're doing?

I guess what makes this interesting is that, unlike a lot of new station launches, Pirate knows exactly what it's going to be up against.
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH wrote: »
    How should Pirate FM react - do they make changes in response to Heart, or just keep doing what they're doing?

A bit of both, actually (IMHO).

They need to acknowledge to themselves that there's a new player on their patch which will change the market for music-led radio (both listeners and advertisers). They need to suss out what that change will be and assess whether they're fit to meet it. And then they keep doing what they do best, and stop doing things which might drive listeners elsewhere (even if they were full of win 20 years ago).

I don't know Pirate, Atlantic or the Devon bits of Heart at all well, so I won't be more specific. But I'm still convinced by my oft-repeated mantra that 'good' beats 'local' every time (ie being local is only a selling point if you don't sound cut-price). If Pirate's audience is with them because they do both, they'll win.

(EDIT to add: And yes, Mapperley, I think it's important that Heart are moving in very much in second place. That gives Pirate a massive incumbent's advantage, although it's one that's easily pissed down the drain as Capital and BRMB have previously discovered)
  • KempoKempo Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See that the facebook page is still there, under atlantics name but with heart branding???? and a few negative comments have been posted. Suspect that this forum for opinion of what is happening will shortly disappear.:D
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit of both, actually (IMHO).

They need to acknowledge to themselves that there's a new player on their patch which will change the market for music-led radio (both listeners and advertisers). They need to suss out what that change will be and assess whether they're fit to meet it. And then they keep doing what they do best, and stop doing things which might drive listeners elsewhere (even if they were full of win 20 years ago).

I don't know Pirate, Atlantic or the Devon bits of Heart at all well, so I won't be more specific. But I'm still convinced by my oft-repeated mantra that 'good' beats 'local' every time (ie being local is only a selling point if you don't sound cut-price). If Pirate's audience is with them because they do both, they'll win.

(EDIT to add: And yes, Mapperley, I think it's important that Heart are moving in very much in second place. That gives Pirate a massive incumbent's advantage, although it's one that's easily pissed down the drain as Capital and BRMB have previously discovered)

I think this post is spot on. From observing the way 'normal' people consume radio just being local isn't good enough, the service has to be good to start with.

This could be Pirate's to lose if they aren't double checking that they are in touch with their audience.

I think they'll see some losses - how big they are depends on how they react/don't react.
    Kempo wrote: »
    See that the facebook page is still there, under atlantics name but with heart branding???? and a few negative comments have been posted. Suspect that this forum for opinion of what is happening will shortly disappear.:D

I liked the one from the person who said he had never listened to the station!
  • PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    I think this post is spot on.

Yes, I agree. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the website, Pirate FM appears to be jockless after 7pm every day of the week.