Options

Does your dog look embarrassed when squatting?

seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

We have a large menagerie of pets including dogs.

The dogs have a large covered tiled toilet area out the back which is hosed down, they have all be trained to use this area for their toilet needs.

Now the dogs large and small when they want to go, no messing they go there and do their thing but occasionally one of the dogs, Zobi, just squats where ever just outside the toilet area.

The thing is his body language, the look on his face, it's one of embarrassment if I catch him doing so or am I reading to much into his look?

His look does come across as one being caught with his pants down, I haven't noticed this look with our other dogs.

I was wondering if other dog owners experienced this look with their dog/s?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    My boxer used to look embarassed too if we happened to glance out the kitchen window when she was doing her business, but only if it was a number 2!! used to make me chuckle, and i have no idea why she used to look so horrified to be caught having a poo.
  • Options
    bazpabazpa Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    You're not alone seacam, my female German Shepherd does it too. I sometimes feel like apologising to her when I look over and catch her pooing, she looks so embarrassed :-D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It always makes me laugh when some dog owners say dogs don't know they are doing wrong, yes they do! and it shows :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazpa wrote: »
    You're not alone seacam, my female German Shepherd does it too. I sometimes feel like apologising to her when I look over and catch her pooing, she looks so embarrassed :-D
    :D that's how I feel with him, he gets it right most all times just the odd occasion out side the penn.

I so wish I could ask why not the extra 3 feet? he looks so embarrassed and maybe a tinge of guilt.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we accidentally look at Duncan he just stops going and moves off to find some more private spot - we have to turn our backs sometimes so he will go ! Only does this with no.2's he will happily pee in our sight :D
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog hates it if anyone walks past him while he is pooing, he glares at them with a kind of "do you mind, I'm trying to have a poo here" look on his face until they have walked out of sight.
    Then he kicks the dirt up with his back legs, usually just as I am bending down with my poo bag to pick it up..more than once I have ended up with a face full of mud :o
  • Options
    BaileyBigIdiotBaileyBigIdiot Posts: 4,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My German Shepherd wont go number 2 if you are standing by the door he waits until you are out of his sight but you still have to be in the kitchen, if you go through to the living room he runs inside incase you are leaving him outside alone.
  • Options
    kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D My dog always had her back to you when she 'went', but my OH's family dog puts his ears back and gives you the puppy eyes when you look out the window and see him cocking a leg :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90% of the time, my border collie doesn't care if we see him but, every now and then, you'll catch him squatting and he just seems to look like he'd prefer we weren't looking. He'll turn his head away and looks all shy.

My cat never looks happy if we look at him at the wrong moment. I don't know if I'm reading too much into it or not but I always just turn my back and give my pets privacy if I suspect they might not want an audience - just to be on the safe side!
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Nope - quite often he sort of half-closes his eyes like he's REALLY enjoying it :D

And from the back, he looks like this while taking a dump :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My yorkie does this, she will usually pee with her back towards the door but that means her back end is up hill so the puddle she makes flows and she gets all of her paws wet... lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    Nope - quite often he sort of half-closes his eyes like he's REALLY enjoying it :D

And from the back, he looks like this while taking a dump :D
    Hello Carlos,

That's a Chrysler what?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine does sometimes! I look away to give him 'privacy!':o
  • Options
    dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:
    completely ridicoulous ........cesar milan would have a field day if he came over here .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    completely ridicoulous ........cesar milan would have a field day if he came over here .
    What you meann humanizing an animal, yeah I know but I'm so glad I'm not the only one that see this look in a dog.
  • Options
    dan44762000dan44762000 Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    What you meann humanizing an animal, yeah I know but I'm so glad I'm not the only one that see this look in a dog.

dogs dont look embarrased when going to the toilet...are u people for real ? ? ? need your bloody heads testing the lot of you..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dogs dont look embarrased when going to the toilet...are u people for real ? ? ? need your bloody heads testing the lot of you..
    Your probably right, Fido is making an appointment for me as I write.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Alsation always looks quite content during/after he's had a dump.

He will only do it on grass, the longer the better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right of course:p:p
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would Cesar Milan care? I thought his thing was "training" out of control dogs?

Honestly, why take it so seriously? its fun to imagine what a dog might be thinking by the strange looks they sometimes give us.....they do sometimes look embarassed...it doesn't necessarily mean we think they are embarassed...just that they look that way

It amuses me to see the black looks my dog appears to give people when they walk past while he is in the act of relieving himself....I know he is just looking at them warily because he is a nervous dog, and pooing puts him a vulnerable position..but it makes me chuckle none the less

I see nothing wrong with enjoying and having fun with my dog, as long as it doesn't affect his quality of life or prevent him doing doggy stuff :confused:
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Mine look embarrassed too. However, given that I've got to watch that 2 of them remember to do it at all (they're serious OAPs, what that twt of a Labour candidate would no doubt deem canine coffine dodgers) and that one of them doesn't eat it, they just have to put up with it.
  • Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    rosemary wrote: »
    Then he kicks the dirt up with his back legs, usually just as I am bending down with my poo bag to pick it up..more than once I have ended up with a face full of mud :o

haha, me too. guess we're lucky if it's just mud.....:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Border Collie looks embarassed when having a number 2 - doesn't care about number 1's though.

It's funny, he used to take his number 2's in the middle of the lawn, but he kept catching eyes with me whilst doing it and looking all embarassed. More recently he's taken to practically hiding his whole body in the bushes at the end of the garden and doing it. I reckon it's cause we can't lock eyes when he does it back there! LOL :D

Does make is hard for hubby to pick up though :D:D:D

Edited to say: He does not poop whilst out on a walk, he will hold it in, then sit by the back door when we get back so he can go into the garden and do it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wouldn't dare come here, he tends to stick to places he knows everyone will love him and think he is Mr Wonderful, people with opinions would be too much for him I'm sure !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry - I just read your name as Mollie Plops! Must be this thread! :o:o