Great Canal Journies

David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
Forum Member
Just saw the trail for this with Timothy West and Prunella Scales. I'd heard she had been unwell so good to see her back in front of the cameras again

Comments

• justannejustanne Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw the trail for this with Timothy West and Prunella Scales. I'd heard she had been unwell so good to see her back in front of the cameras again

Did you see their first series? It was lovely.

Prunella has dementia, it's not a secret, and Timothy talked about it in the first series.

Looking forward to it.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too big for More 4?
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Didn't watch John Sargent's one because he's annoying and I knew about this one.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. I misread the title as "Great Carnal Journies". :blush::D
  • dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Brilliant programme.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    Too big for More 4?

Looking at the TV Guide, it's showing up as being on at 8pm on Sunday on Channel 4.
    Timothy West and Prunella Scales embark on a waterway adventure, starting in the romantic city of Oxford, where they began their courtship many years ago. They follow the gentle contours of the Oxford Canal through the Cherwell Valley, where they meet novelist Philip Pullman and are joined by their son, fellow actor Samuel West. Tim and Pru follow in the footsteps of author Tom Rolt, whose vivid account of his journey down this canal in 1939 ignited a campaign that went on to save Britain's canals from extinction.

Might get some of the Top Gear crowd who aren't impressed by the Red Arrows :D
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a new series or a repeat of the last one?
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Is this a new series or a repeat of the last one?

I assumed at first it was the last one repeated on Ch 4, til I read what it actually said about it.
    I can't wait, I absolutely loved the first series. They're a lovely couple - a lovely family - and I'm just glad the first one wasn't a one-off.

From my TV mag:

A huge smash hit last time round, Prunella Scales and her husband Timothy West hit the waterways of Britain for another batch of narrowboat journies.
    The duo begin with a trip down memory lane to where it all began - Oxford Canal.

During their journey they meet author Philip Pullman, discover the inspiration for The Wind in the Willows, and also take part in a town crier competition.

WATCH FOR Touching family moments when joined by their son Sam, with lots of talk of last chances, reflections on growing older, and Pru's memory condition.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,544
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    LOL. I misread the title as "Great Carnal Journies". :blush::D

I scrolled down the UK tv forum page quickly and read it as Great anal Journeys :o
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha ha that's even worse! :D
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so pleased to see that we have a second series of Tim and Pru's 'Great Canal Journeys'. Such a lovely gentle and relaxing watch; and they are such a lovely couple too.:)
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed that.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    scotch wrote: »
    I enjoyed that.
    Me too - but with Tim steering, it is more like dodgems..:o
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great programme to unwind to.The older I get the more I appreciate TV like this.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,544
    Forum Member
    The first episode of series two is on again now. Pru and Timothy's journey starts in Oxford. It started at 11am so if anyone wants to see it from the beginning you can watch it on More4 +1 :)
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    justanne wrote: »
    Did you see their first series? It was lovely.

Prunella has dementia, it's not a secret, and Timothy talked about it in the first series.

Looking forward to it.

Prunella does so well with the locks at her age as they can be quite hard.

What a beautiful couple and love this programme. Glad it is back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode two on now. :)
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never even been on a canal boat but it does look appealing and quite an adventure.

Shame to see that hoodlums are even on the canals.

It's Andrew Sacks :o On the trailer, I could have sworn it was Woody Allen and was intrigued to find out what their relationship was :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thoroughly enjoyable episode tonight.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London looks such a nicer place since it got fantastically rich! (pity about the yoboes at Camden locked though).

I refuse to believe they didn't know where they were though - they must have a map :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I've never even been on a canal boat but it does look appealing and quite an adventure.

Shame to see that hoodlums are even on the canals.

It's Andrew Sacks :o On the trailer, I could have sworn it was Woody Allen and was intrigued to find out what their relationship was :)

I don't know why, but I thought Andrew was Tom Courtenay in the clip last week. :D

But no. Of course it had to be Manuel. "Basilll!"
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's entertainingly luvvie :D
  • JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder when this was actually filmed. No mention whatsoever of Timothy being in Eastenders which since they went thru parts of East London you would of thought been a talking point.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this. Been to the Three Bridges. Great feat of engineering.
    treefr0g wrote: »

It's great fun. Especially when you're doing a sharp right into a lock and a gust of wind blows you into the bank.
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    London looks such a nicer place since it got fantastically rich! (pity about the yoboes at Camden locked though).

I refuse to believe they didn't know where they were though - they must have a map :)

Yes,those undesirables need kicking out of Camden Lock.