Options

Microsoft Set To Do A U-Turn On Windows 8

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    A lot of people I talk to don't use the start button
    A lot of people at work are amazed at my using the keyboard to access the Start menu while they are scrabbling looking for the mouse. ALT+TAB to switch windows comes as an eye-opener to them too. :p
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I don't know why they struggle and it has got a bit better over time but it always seems to take an age to install any Microsoft application.
    ( I remember the hours it took installing visual studio 2003

Yes, pretty much all MS apps take longer to install than comparable apps from other vendors.

I've been told that this is because they do more checks than other vendors. I don't know what those additional checks are though.

I gather there was some Live Mesh update a while back that got pushed out without notice and which could conceivably (and legitimately) take half a day to install! :eek:
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    A lot of people at work are amazed at my using the keyboard to access the Start menu while they are scrabbling looking for the mouse. :p

For me a start screen and a start button for that matter is a bit of a non-issue. When I need to go there, it's usually 5-10 seconds affair. Win-Key, type, enter, done. Works in W7 and W8, only in W8 it's faster. I really don't do any start menu spotting all day :D All I need for my work is started in first 5-10 minutes of my working day.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wait for Windows Pink. It comes with money printing software as standard. We'll all be happy, merry and skip along outside without a care in the world. Flashy our wads of money without the briefest thought of start menus or tiles entering our day dream filled heads. We be far too busy working out ways to spend our free money.

Like buying a top of the range Apple Mac :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people I talk to don't use the start button from one day to the next.

But a lot of people I talk to, do use the start button. We use it at work as well, everything we use is on the start menu,
    Lets be honest, you and a couple of other DS members just have a bug in a dark place about W8 and it give you something else to drone on about lol

If you don't like it then why do you waste your time replying? as i said, people use their computers different ways, so what was the harm of MS giving us the choice

i tell you why, because they want Windows to be a closed system, like Android and IOS, where the only software you can get is via MS.
    simple as that, but it is not working, because none of the apps on Metro is worth looking at.
    as we all know your feelings about W8 please feel free not to post anymore about it please as you've become tiresome on the topic:D Turn the light off on your way out.

Then don't reply or read it, I am not forcing you to, go and do something more interesting since you keep bragging about what you got, where you go and what you have not got .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I class as one of the mistakes.

Maybe in time people may have got used to it, but with so many applications available to put a start menu on windows 8, it really did not give people time to play around with the Metro ui.

i know a few people who got windows 8, either on new machine or took advantage of the upgrade price and the first thing they did when they installed, switched on the machine is to go to the desktop and put a start menu on.

At least I did give the Metro a bit of a try.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people I talk to don't use the start button from one day to the next. Lets be honest, you and a couple of other DS members just have a bug in a dark place about W8 and it give you something else to drone on about lol

As we all know your feelings about W8 please feel free not to post anymore about it please as you've become tiresome on the topic:D Turn the light off on your way out.

I find these kind of posts more tiresome, people are entitled to their opinions, and I think the critisism of Microsoft is well justified.

I mean how can you have confidence in a company run by this man ?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    But a lot of people I talk to, do use the start button. We use it at work as well, everything we use is on the start menu,

I also use the Start button a lot because i don't like the screen cluttered with icons.

Where I work we have a standard image loaded on to our laptops, but we all have Admin rights because we all use our machines in different ways and everyone has set up their machines to suit the way they work.

There is no right or wrong way to use a PC or laptop, it is down to personal preferences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also use the Start button a lot because i don't like the screen cluttered with icons.

Where I work we have a standard image loaded on to our laptops, but we all have Admin rights because we all use our machines in different ways and everyone has set up their machines to suit the way they work.

There is no right or wrong way to use a PC or laptop, it is down to personal preferences.

This is absolulty correct and the reason windows 8 is getting such bad press in the way it forces the Metro UI on you.

There seem to be some nice new features like the multi screen task bar in W8 which is ruined for me by the misguided metro UI.

Another killer feature would be a proper app store for desktop apps. I know many people think this is a negative step to a walled garden approach but it would be great to be able to distibute software via a mehcnism that gives people confidence that it's trusted and free of malware and viruses etc..
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What worries me about Metro, is that it means apps are running when you don't want them to.

I want a blank canvas when windows starts up, and then to add only what I want running.

I don't want a wall of apps using up resources and screen space.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apps do not run at startup, unlike various native applications that put themselves into startup, eat up resorces and delay the system start up time. Apps can have live tiles which does not mean the app itself is running. They registered code that should run when updating the tile. But you can turn it off.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What worries me about Metro, is that it means apps are running when you don't want them to.
    There is a way to close a Metro app. Being Metro, it's well hidden but it does exist.
    I don't want a wall of apps using up resources and screen space.
    At the moment Metro can only display a maximum of two apps on screen at a time. If only one app is displayed then it takes up the entire screen. If two apps are displayed then together they take up the entire screen (split 80/20 or thereabouts I think). I think I read somewhere that Blue will allow a 50/50 screen split. Metro can't run programs in windows.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Like buying a top of the range Apple Mac :)

I've already done that - twice :D
    IvanIV wrote: »
    There was a well-known undocumented registry setting in W8 previews that allowed to switch between start screen and start menu. If absolutely necessary I think they can bring it back and add one checkbox somewhere in settings for it.

Really? If that's true then they should have brought it back as a menu option in the Control Panel. Interestingly, I remember reading somewhere that there was a way to edit the Registry in Windows 95 to allow the user to use the Program Manager from Windows 3.1 as their default shell instead of the Start menu. I no longer have my old Windows 95 computer so I can't test it out to see if it works, but I read once that it was possible. You just changed the shell name to Progman.exe instead of Explorer.exe somewhere in the W95 registry. I think you could use File Manager instead of Windows Explorer as well.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    There is a way to close a Metro app. Being Metro, it's well hidden but it does exist.
    Do you mean Alt&F4 or something else?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people I talk to don't use the start button from one day to the next.
    We have to use the start button at work, as that is the only way to access apps due to user restrictions, so I am very used to using the start menu and button.
    If you are used to working in one way, it is harder to swap to another method.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Do you mean Alt&F4 or something else?
    The method I was thinking of was to move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen (where it changes to a hand) and dragging to the bottom of the screen.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    It's madness! Why can't they just have an easy setting so that you can simply switch it between Desktop mode and Tablet Mode?

Tablet Mode: Boots up to the Metro interface.
    Desktop Mode: Boots up to a standard Windows environment complete with start button.

There is simply no technical reason why that can't be done.

That way is caters for everyone. Surely in business, that is what you want to do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's madness! Why can't they just have an easy setting so that you can simply switch it between Desktop mode and Tablet Mode?

Desktop Mode: Boots up to a standard Windows environment complete with start button.

There is simply no technical reason why that can't be done.

That way is caters for everyone. Surely in business, that is what you want to do?
    The third party utilities do that, and as things stand at the moment it seems very likely that the same functionality will be added by Microsoft with the Blue update.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its good to see the queen cut back on her duties and Charles take over more; he's a rather nice chap and will do a good job.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I find these kind of posts more tiresome, people are entitled to their opinions, and I think the critisism of Microsoft is well justified.

I mean how can you have confidence in a company run by this man ?

As I do replies such as yours. There is a hard core of lifes natural moaners, life's whiners on DS; they are all tiresome, dull and boring oiks to be honest who seem incapable of 'changing the record'.

I am rather annoyed at the delay of the Surface Pro though, really can't wait to get my hands on one in the next few weeks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    For me a start screen and a start button for that matter is a bit of a non-issue. When I need to go there, it's usually 5-10 seconds affair. Win-Key, type, enter, done.

Certainly since Win 7 I use the start screen far less than I used to. When I do it is often just to view the hierarchy of programs/folders.

Other than that it is either launching pinned applications or I also have the free Launchy app. installed which is a better version of Win-Key, type, enter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its good to see the queen cut back on her duties and Charles take over more; he's a rather nice chap and will do a good job.
    Is the queen w7 and charles Blue or something ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's exactly what I would have done had I been in charge of Windows! :)

What's the bet that there will have been people at MS who wanted to do this but whose wishes were overridden?
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But does the Queen agree with bringing back the start button?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I do replies such as yours. There is a hard core of lifes natural moaners, life's whiners on DS; they are all tiresome, dull and boring oiks to be honest who seem incapable of 'changing the record'.

I am rather annoyed at the delay of the Surface Pro though, really can't wait to get my hands on one in the next few weeks :)

In this case the moaning about the silly changes they've made is justified. Windows is the most important OS on the planet and they've messed up the latest version in the view of many people(Including Microsoft it seems) so it is worthy of debate.

The argument that anyone who makes any sort of a negative comment about it is a moaner is a real cop out and if they bother you then why read them ?