Lilian Board

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
My mum and dad were talking about this girl last night. I didn't know anything about her, she died before I was born, so I looked her up after my dad said she would have been the best British female runner ever, had amazing potential, would have gone on to as far as Moscow in 1980 and been up there commentating today on the BBC alongside Michael Johnson.

As I said I looked her up and what made me smirk was how differently they dressed on the track back then. She wore what looked like Bridget Jones big pants - contrast with KJT and Jess Ennis's almost bikinis!

Does anyone else actually remember this girl, anyone old enough?

Comments

• An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I have heard of her. She is someone my mum mentions from time to time along with Fanny Blankas Cohen (SP?)
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/lillian-board-of-great-britain-winning-the-womens-800-news-photo/473938960

These are the "big pants" from about the late 60s I think.

Interesting to see the evolution of athletics gear over the years.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I don't remember her running but I do remember the news of her death at a shockingly young age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    I don't remember her running but I do remember the news of her death at a shockingly young age.

Yes I looked it up as I knew nothing about it as it was well before my time, my dad was talking about it. She was only 21.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only heard of her a few months when I came across her biography (presumably long out of print) in a charity shop, very sad story.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    I know of Lillian as I'm interested in athletics history. A bit of a shocker. Of course the East German doping system was starting to produce good results by the early 70s and that would have affected her future success. Our other great sprinter of the past Kathy Smallwood Cook lost a shed load of medals to East Germans and other questionable Eastern Europeans.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I remember her........we didn't have many top class athletes back then

She won a medal at the Olympics but died of cancer in her early 20s

very sad
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason I can still see the front of the newspaper the day she died. I was only a kid and it was perhaps the first time I'd known a young person die.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I know of Lillian as I'm interested in athletics history. A bit of a shocker. Of course the East German doping system was starting to produce good results by the early 70s and that would have affected her future success. Our other great sprinter of the past Kathy Smallwood Cook lost a shed load of medals to East Germans and other questionable Eastern Europeans.

Wish they could sort all that out and take them off the cheating arses.
  • floppydogfloppydog Posts: 1,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember Lilian Board, a lovely girl (a twin I believe). She was engaged to a journalist David Emery (may have that wrong) and I can remember the battle to save her life culminating in a stay in a clinic abroad and some revolutionary treatment that was all for naught. Awful to see the last photos of her in the papers.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floppydog wrote: »
    I can remember Lilian Board, a lovely girl (a twin I believe). She was engaged to a journalist David Emery (may have that wrong) and I can remember the battle to save her life culminating in a stay in a clinic abroad and some revolutionary treatment that was all for naught. Awful to see the last photos of her in the papers.

That's right- and David Emery wrote her biography.

Tragic story. A couple of grainy clips on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBqUn39p0Go

The 4x400 metres finish is simply brilliant, together with a very excited David Coleman.

This is her Silver medal at the Olympics in 1968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A3ryJX4aFc
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they could sort all that out and take them off the cheating arses.

It'll never happen there's too many of them.
  • trevorptrevorp Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    My first athletics memory as a young child was seeing Lillian on tv at the Mexico Olympics. Just over two years later she was gone; I remember going to the loo for a good blub when news of her death on Boxing Day came through.

It wasn't until a few years later that I was able to put her performances and achievements into context, and appreciate just how special she had been. Reading her biography, you realise just how amateurish athletics was in those days: had she been running in the modern era, with decent coaching, nutrition and medical care, she would have been a world-beater.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    That's right- and David Emery wrote her biography.

Tragic story. A couple of grainy clips on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBqUn39p0Go

The 4x400 metres finish is simply brilliant, together with a very excited David Coleman.

This is her Silver medal at the Olympics in 1968

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A3ryJX4aFc

Thanks for these Chris. I've sent the links to my dad as well !!
    Forum Member
    ... Fanny Blankas Cohen (SP?)

Fanny Blankers-Koen
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Kathy Smallwood Cook lost a shed load of medals to East Germans and other questionable Eastern Europeans.

Not to forget certain Americans and others!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe look up Mary rand and Ann Packer too. The latter married a 400 metre runner, Robbie brightwell.
  • Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember seeing photos in the press of her in hospital undergoing treatment for the cancer that eventually took her life. IIRC it was at a private hospital in Switzerland.
    She was a phenomenally natural athlete and even though at the time I was a mere slip of a lad, I can remember even then her death had an effect on me. She was the Darling of the nation at the time and the whole country was deeply saddened at her passing. She would have been the best on the planet at her sport had she lived. And can I finally say it's fantastic to see that she is still living in the memories of people some 45 years later.

RIP Lilian, long gone but most certainly not forgotten.
    Forum Member
    Fat Buddha wrote: »
    IIRC it was at a private hospital in Switzerland.

It was just outside Munich, in Bavaria, a beautiful part of the world. She was under the 'care' of an utter charlatan called Josef Issels, who later had Bob Marley as a patient, but I don't think there was a doctor on the planet at that time who could have saved her.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe look up Mary rand and Ann Packer too. The latter married a 400 metre runner, Robbie brightwell.

And had two sons who both played for Manchester City.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for these Chris. I've sent the links to my dad as well !!

No problem. Its amazing what you can find on Youtube.

Click on the keyword "Lillian Board" on the main photo and there some fabulous old photo's here:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/lillian-board-of-great-britain-winning-the-womens-800-news-photo/473938960
  • sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

David Coleman's commentary on Ann Packers 800m victory in 1964 Olympics is wonderful.
    Board died far too young.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    No problem. Its amazing what you can find on Youtube.

Click on the keyword "Lillian Board" on the main photo and there some fabulous old photo's here:

The bikini pictures of them :)
  • Cornish_PiskieCornish_Piskie Posts: 7,489
    Forum Member
    I never knew Lillian Board or her exploits but she sounds like a wonderful talent taken from us too soon.

There has been some talk about women's sportswear in the modern era. I'm not worried that Jess Ennis-Hill wears a bikini. If she's comfortable in it and it gives her freedom of movement to enhance her performance then all good, I say.

What I have noticed though, looking at some of the images of British athletes over previous Games, is that Britain, up until Seoul '88 used to compete in an all white kit with two bands around the chest, one red and one blue..

I quite liked that kit. It was very distinctive and it seemed to say "Great Britain" in its very design.

The first Olympics I ever watched was Barcelona '92 which was when we started to play silly buggers with our kit. Rio's Team GB kit, with that ridiculous Royal Cypher on it was silly. Stella McCartney should never be allowed anywhere near a British sports team design ever again.

Big pants or bikini bottoms, I don't care. But I really would like to see a return to the white kit with the red and blue band.