Amadeus

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Saw a bit of it last night. It was crap, a total travesty. Mozart was a genius; Salieri was a friend and even at times collaborator of his. Constanze would not offer herself to Salieri.
Mozart and Salieri were friendly rivals. Salieri in old age, when he became demented, felt guilt because Mozart died so young at 35. Salieri lived to twice his age.

Comments

• blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Saw a bit of it last night. It was crap, a total travesty. Mozart was a genius; Salieri was a friend and even at times collaborator of his. Constanze would not offer herself to Salieri.
    Mozart and Salieri were friendly rivals. Salieri in old age, when he became demented, felt guilt because Mozart died so young at 35. Salieri lived to twice his age.

The film was never intended to be a fully accurate biography. As a piece of entertainment I think it was excellent.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw it on TV a few years ago and thought it was a terrific film
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a terrific film imo.

I've just bought it on Blu-ray, but I'll keep my old DVD 'flipper' disc, too, because it's the theatrical version.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The film was never intended to be a fully accurate biography. As a piece of entertainment I think it was excellent.
    This.

I also think it's kind of sexy the way Lizzie says Wolfie in her New York accent :D
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    I much prefer the shorter version and I think it's one of the best films I've seen - the dialogue is superb (I've never heard music described any better) and the soundtrack... well, what do you expect from one of the greatest composers ever!
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    I much prefer the shorter version and I think it's one of the best films I've seen - the dialogue is superb (I've never heard music described any better) and the soundtrack... well, what do you expect from one of the greatest composers ever!

I also prefer the original theatrical cut (ie the shorter version) - unfortunately the director's cut doesn't really work for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Absolutely. It's based on the play Amadeus which itself is completely fabricated. It makes for a really nice fake myth imho, and I love that even today people think it's based on fact.

Who goes to the movies expecting to see anything factually accurate anyway? :D
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    This.

I also think it's kind of sexy the way Lizzie says Wolfie in her New York accent :D

The one thing that did grate me : too American. There's a whole (great) scene about whether Mozart should be commissioned an opera in German or Italian (or Turkish!), and it ends up being shown in English, and whilst minor characters put on italian or german accents, none of the leads make any efforts to reflect the nationality of the characters!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Oh I agree. The first time I saw the film I had a little giggle at that.

I wonder if we're used to hearing Eurpeans in films with British accents?

Sometimes it's hard to judge whether an actor should put on an accent or leave it alone. The Hunt for Red October with some actors putting on an Eastern Euopean accent but Connery, as per usual, not bothering one jot :D

I recently watched the remake of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Daniel Craig said he didn't bother with an accent because he thought his wasn't/wouldn't be any good and distract from the performance.

Then there's the famour Costner as a US midlander. Again, I think it was both himself and the director who thought that it would be best not to attempt an accent.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We watched this for A Level English Literature, and I thoroughly enjoyed. Regardless of whether it was true to real life or not, I thought it was an excellent film.