Will Virgin have any Customers left after everyone is forced to get a Tivo box?

Comments

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,306
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I know a few people that haven't even got aV+ box they just got the V HD I'd they're not bothering about recording they won't bother with the Tivo
    The V HD box that we have just launched is capable if we decide to take a download of the TiVo software
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/05/04/latest-virgin-boxes-can-run-tivo/
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,684
    Forum Member
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    Actually they didn't - it was still available if you wanted it. It just wasn't promoted
    Okay, but that's pretty much the same thing as who would know to ask for it :)
    Thanks Ben, but I and SOME others already knew that
    Okay, smart-alec. Let's count the things I've got wrong recently and the things you've got wrong and see who comes out with the most. Tip: It won't be me. :rolleyes:
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The day I'm forced to move to TiVo is the day I move to sky
    Forum Member
    Have you got any good reasons why you would do that ?
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

What a weird thing to say....

Any reason you would want to have the useless skyhd box over the much more advanced TiVo?
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

Why? it's a great product, far superior to V+ in almost every way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't like it, it's not very easy to use and I feel with the likes of V+ you can go straight to where you want with shorter button presses (I know TiVo can be slightly faster on the menu at times)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To play a recorded show:

TiVo: Press My Shows> highlight show you want to watch> press PLAY
    if you have viewed previously you'll go where you left off

V+: Press V+> Press 1 for recorded shows> highlight show you want to watch> press OK
    if you have viewed previously you'l get an option box before resuming playback

Which is faster?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    VM isnt because there forcing people to tivo If you want more HD Channels then you must upgrade to tivo. theres going to be the point were

a) V+ will be obsolete because it cant Do MPEG4 because of the frame rate/ 5.1 Sound that V+ Box cannot do.

B) Tivo is a better Box and it has a dual core chip. that there working to enable the second core when that happens the cisco box will be faster.

C) Once VM activates Mpeg4 streams of channels there will be more capcity of channels and HD channel and cheeper of the streaming technolgy and it could be posible for cheeper 1080P streams. so its really win - win.
  • withnailukwithnailuk Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derekb108 wrote: »
    VM isnt because there forcing people to tivo If you want more HD Channels then you must upgrade to tivo. theres going to be the point were

a) V+ will be obsolete because it cant Do MPEG4 because of the frame rate/ 5.1 Sound that V+ Box cannot do.

B) Tivo is a better Box and it has a dual core chip. that there working to enable the second core when that happens the cisco box will be faster.

C) Once VM activates Mpeg4 streams of channels there will be more capcity of channels and HD channel and cheeper of the streaming technolgy and it could be posible for cheeper 1080P streams. so its really win - win.

Tivo box costs a extra £5 a month imo it aint worth that:(
  • BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    They already have activated MPEG4, tis why Sky Anytime HD is only on TiVo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    withnailuk wrote: »
    Tivo box costs a extra £5 a month imo it aint worth that:(

I agree we pay enough as it is
    Forum Member
    If you want more HD Channels then you must upgrade to tivo.
    100% WRONG.
    theres going to be the point were

a) V+ will be obsolete
    That's right now. You can't get one anymore :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't like it, it's not very easy to use and I feel with the likes of V+ you can go straight to where you want with shorter button presses (I know TiVo can be slightly faster on the menu at times)

Pleeeeease! V+ is archaic to say the least!

TiVo is far easier to use and more logical too. There are lots of shortcuts to my shows, guide etc and its all under one menu.
  • muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    What a weird thing to say....

Any reason you would want to have the useless skyhd box over the much more advanced TiVo?

I agree and disagree , TIVO is more advanced and has the advantage of three tuners however it's incorrect to suggest Sky+HD as useless in my experience it's been super intuitive and generally reliable although I think its EPG is in need of a revamp.

Having used TIVO frequently at my parents I cannot understand why you would want to keep the V+ sure it's pretty reliable however it's EPG is ugly , it has limited recording space and can't record three shows at once like TIVO , the only plus I can see is your a fiver better off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having used TIVO frequently at my parents I cannot understand why you would want to keep the V+ sure it's pretty reliable however it's EPG is ugly , it has limited recording space and can't record three shows at once like TIVO , the only plus I can see is your a fiver better off.

I agree that the black and yellow is not a nice colour and it was better when it had the blocks and it was blue (when it was Telewest) but there are a lot of bugs on TiVo I can't remember exactly which part it was but it was when you pressed the right arrow and it didn't move and you had to press it again also I prefer the selections to be available not press this then the next page then play then watch now then ok it's too much gagging about they should just have everything on screen then press ok to play.

Also with storage I found this more of an issue as it meant I had stuff nearly a year out of date on my TiVo box at the time and it would take watching tv constantly for days to clear it and get up to date whereas with a smaller hard drive it's easier to manage and you know you have to watch it to clear it and you don't have so much of a backlog of program's to watch.

Finally the box (in my opinion) looks really ugly and there is no option to see you are watching a recording on the front of the box or see what channel number you are watching which I use all the time (I know not everyone uses this)
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that the black and yellow is not a nice colour and it was better when it had the blocks and it was blue (when it was Telewest) but there are a lot of bugs on TiVo I can't remember exactly which part it was but it was when you pressed the right arrow and it didn't move and you had to press it again also I prefer the selections to be available not press this then the next page then play then watch now then ok it's too much gagging about they should just have everything on screen then press ok to play.

Also with storage I found this more of an issue as it meant I had stuff nearly a year out of date on my TiVo box at the time and it would take watching tv constantly for days to clear it and get up to date whereas with a smaller hard drive it's easier to manage and you know you have to watch it to clear it and you don't have so much of a backlog of program's to watch.

Finally the box (in my opinion) looks really ugly and there is no option to see you are watching a recording on the front of the box or see what channel number you are watching which I use all the time (I know not everyone uses this)

So you dislike the large hard drive because you're too lazy to watch things and a smaller hard drive discourages you from recording too many things and you didn't from your rather garbled description know how to work the box
    Forum Member
    but there are a lot of bugs on TiVo
    What are these " lots of bugs " ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people jump down your throat on here believe it or not I'm actually a big fan of Virgin Media and don't really like sky but I feel unless I say something which is what you want to hear that "TiVo is the best product in the world and sky is crap" then you will be happy.

People don't all like the same things you know and when you grow up you'll realise this.
    Forum Member

People don't all like the same things you know and when you grow up you'll realise this.
    You are the only person I know that likes these damn DOG's and wants to see more of them.

You don't seem to know how to use the Mini Guide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »
    You are the only person I know that likes these damn DOG's and wants to see more of them.

You don't seem to know how to use the Mini Guide.

I know how to use the Mini Guide on V+ and know how to use TiVo but it seems a long way for a shortcut on a lot of things on TiVo
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I know how to use the Mini Guide on V+ and know how to use TiVo but it seems a long way for a shortcut on a lot of things on TiVo

I must admit you are getting bashed abit.

I never had a V+ therefore cant comment. (when my upgrades were done all i could choose was Tivo at that time)

What i do know, is V+ has proper 'true' red button. the TiVo has what I call 'dud button'.

Ok sky red button is working fine, agreed. However I used to use the BBC Red button for news, weather and lottery results. I have to use a PC for that now, or record the lottery show which is a bit pointless.

IMO, I think the TiVo has more 'scope' to do things, admittedly even now I tend to click 'ok' to advance when TiVo defaults to >.

You arn't the only one who likes DOG's, what with TiVo not having any form of display, it can be hard to instantly tell what channel you are actually on. you can bring up the mini guide by pressing ok, but until recently I didn't know that pressing 'clear' got rid of it.

There are quirks but usually you can get round them.
    Forum Member
    I agree and disagree , TIVO is more advanced and has the advantage of three tuners however it's incorrect to suggest Sky+HD as useless in my experience it's been super intuitive and generally reliable although I think its EPG is in need of a revamp.
    If it can't even handle a change in broadcast day/time for a programme with an existing Series Link then it is useless :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You arn't the only one who likes DOG's, what with TiVo not having any form of display, it can be hard to instantly tell what channel you are actually on. you can bring up the mini guide by pressing ok, but until recently I didn't know that pressing 'clear' got rid of it.

I like having a DOG on the screen not a flashy one but something that is see through and not too bright so it is there but not causing an obstruction to the screen.

The way I think about it is that they are bringing out these things where you don't need to do anything to do things. I think that a quick glance at the box tells you the number quickly and easily (I know it takes literally a few seconds to press the guide button to bring up the mini guide banner to check the channel) but it seems a step backwards to remove something because they want a slimmer box when in fact the TiVo box is the same size if not bigger than the Samsung V+HD Box.

Thanks for the comments I don't want this thread to turn into an arguement :)
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    If Virgin, plan to force a tivo box on me, I will not be happy, now the V+ box is no angel! but it is far more stable than it has ever been.

If my box broke tomorrow and they said they could not supply me like for like, ie another V+ box then ill tell them to rip it out,

In fact if the nice people from virgin came to my door with a gift wrapped tivo box, id say no.

There is only 1 reason for virgin to use these and want us to use these and that in ££££

how, well I guess in the near future they will team up with several internet type media company's, and offer access via the tivo box, then you pay the extra fee either to virgin direct or to the company's concerned, and then virgin will take a kick back £ for what we use,

if you think they have say 500,000 boxes in use and only 200,000 take this service as an additional sub or pay as you view, that's a lot of extra income for the media content providers and a little more for virgin,