Options

O2 Wi-Fi in McDonalds

raymartin01raymartin01 Posts: 1,898
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the past couple of weeks I've been unable to connect to the O2 wi-fi in McDonalds using my Blackberry 9360. I just get a message saying 'Please open your browser to connect to wi-fi' displayed in the browser! Never had a problem before, has anything changed?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem in a different branch yesterday, while the person next to me connected OK with his HTC. Obviously a problem with my phone/network.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you connect to other other free hotspots there. From memory there is usually one called "McDonalds Free WiFi' and 'The Cloud' ?
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried opening your browser?
    What happens when you do that?
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too had a problem this morning. It took several attempts to connect to McDonalds wifi. It kept dropping too. It could be the weather.
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Can you connect to other other free hotspots there. From memory there is usually one called "McDonalds Free WiFi' and 'The Cloud' ?

The Cloud no longer have hotspots in McDonalds. They used to provide the the free WiFi service in all McDonalds restaurants but in recent years McDonalds has awarded the contract to O2. This likely means the problem will be seen two on the 'McDonalds Free WiFi' network because they use the same access point to broadcast the signal.

On a slightly off-topic note, I rarely see speeds of above 2Mbps on O2 WiFi hotspots. These hotspots are widely advertised as being better than 3G because they're 'faster' and don't use your 3G allowance. I'm a Three customer and am used to speeds above 2Mbps over 3G. Same thing for The Cloud hotspots too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Have you tried opening your browser?
    What happens when you do that?

The message asking me to open my browser is displayed in the browser! If I select another address I just go back to the message.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh, what's the URL of the page displaying it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Eh, what's the URL of the page displaying it?

I'd have to be in McDonalds to tell you exactly, but I think it starts with O2wifi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's welcome.o2wifi.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's weird. Does the page have an O2 logo on it?

I don't suppose your browser has a "Desktop view" mode does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a problem with the built-in browser, as I can use other apps/browsers OK.

It's only a minor irritant, as as I say, I can use other browsers, it's just a bit annoying not knowing what's happened.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    On a slightly off-topic note, I rarely see speeds of above 2Mbps on O2 WiFi hotspots. These hotspots are widely advertised as being better than 3G because they're 'faster' and don't use your 3G allowance. I'm a Three customer and am used to speeds above 2Mbps over 3G. Same thing for The Cloud hotspots too.

But compared to O2's 3G service, 2Mbps probably is a lot faster. :)

Just as I wrote this, I double tapped on my Lumia 1020 and - yup - it's saying G!

That's despite me being in an area that has both 3G and 4G coverage. Shame it seems to disappear whenever the wind changes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be Edinburgh is either unusually good for O2 or wherever you are is unusually bad, I managed to do this whole route before I realized I'd left my phone on "Auto" accidentally because I never lost 4G on O2 the whole way...

Did you ever use it in a different phone or has it been the Lumia the whole way?