O2 UK requiring new customers to agree to mid-contract price rises

2»

Comments

• Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three wrote: »
    This does not excuse the damn right disgraceful behaviour from O2.

What is disgraceful about businesses charging what they think their product is worth?

As qasdfdsaq has stated O2 have been growing for years, have the most stable and satisfied customers of all the networks and have a premium brand.

If the customers don't like the prices they can change to another network.... simples!
  • Options
    qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should not be a part of life. This is awful of O2.

And BT. And Virgin Media. And Sky. And Vodafone.

I can't think of any communications provider I've been with that haven't put prices up.

P.S. You should have a look at the arguements going on over at Virgin Media about their "6.7% average" price rises.

Actually awful is what Vodafone did to me in increasing prices above inflation, then refusing to allow me out of the contract despite their own T&Cs and even their own price rise notification letter saying I could. They even made up some fake/incorrect math to justify it.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Funny, every other forum I complain about prices rises on I get slated and told to "deal with it, prices rises are an inevitable fact of life and everyone does it!"

I perfectly accept that I just can't see why O2 think this is a good strategic move it logically makes no sense at all in a market where it is extremely competitive at the moment and you are trying to gain ground why do something like this it's like shooting yourself in the foot. Not like energy companies who all rise prices so you haven't got much of a choice.

Don't even start on Virgin Media soon as my cabinet is upgraded to Fibre I'm switching my bill is shocking I pay about 20-30 pounds more than my friend and he gets 60MB and phone and I only get 30MB and phone. Tried complain but I get told that I'm on best rate for existing customers and normally get phone put down on me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I perfectly accept that I just can't see why O2 think this is a good strategic move it logically makes no sense at all in a market where it is extremely competitive at the moment and you are trying to gain ground why do something like this it's like shooting yourself in the foot.,
    I'd say the same about 3 putting their One Plan prices up from £15/£18 to £20+
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is disgraceful about businesses charging what they think their product is worth?

As qasdfdsaq has stated O2 have been growing for years, have the most stable and satisfied customers of all the networks and have a premium brand.

If the customers don't like the prices they can change to another network.... simples!

Then this is something O2 should consider when they release the packages rather than sneakily raising them mid-contract. This is dishonest.

This all at a time whilst other operators are giving their customers for no extra fee. (Three 4G)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This all at a time whilst other operators are giving their customers for no extra fee. (Three 4G)
    Actually O2 started giving customers 4G for no extra fee first.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the same about 3 putting their One Plan prices up from £15/£18 to £20+

True I agree on that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually O2 started giving customers 4G for no extra fee first.

Not for all customers and thus this point is invalid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three haven't given it to all customers yet either. Thus your invalidation is invalid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that offers little comfort to an O2 customer who is seeing this disgraceful behaviour from their mobile phone provider.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Three haven't given it to all customers yet either. Thus your invalidation is invalid.

You like to argue for the sake of it don't you...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure that offers little comfort to an O2 customer who is seeing this disgraceful behaviour from their mobile phone provider.

I don't see it as disgraceful, I get free 4G I can actually use now, rather than the promise of free 4G I may get to use at some uncertain point in the future.

The cynic in me would say 3's move smacks of desperation, as the smallest network and with below average customer satisfaction they need to throw in extra freebies to get customers. Nobody would pay extra for a 4G service on the smallest 4G network over a year behind the market leaders.

O2 could screw over and lose 60% of their customers and still have more than 3 do.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I don't see it as disgraceful, I get free 4G I can actually use now, rather than the promise of free 4G I may get to use at some uncertain point in the future.

O2 have a smartphone penetration of under 50%. Even less than that is the penetration of 4G smartphones. So not everyone will see a benefit of 4G for free on O2. Especially when the only "free" tariff comes with 1GB. This price increase by O2 will be seen as a huge negative by most people, even those with a 4G phone.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old 'bird in the hand' syndrome! They have 4G in areas now that is usable.

O2 obviously think their customers will pay the extra for their service and they must be very aware that the UK is one of the most competitive mobile markets on the planet.

If they do charge 60p a month extra and provide 4G to existing customers I'd wager that's a price that most would be happy to accept if they have a compatible device or plan to upgrade to one soon.

Time will tell if they have made the correct assessment of the mood of their customers. To date they have not seen anything other than customer growth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    O2 have a smartphone penetration of under 50%. Even less than that is the penetration of 4G smartphones. So not everyone will see a benefit of 4G for free on O2. Especially when the only "free" tariff comes with 1GB. This price increase by O2 will be seen as a huge negative by most people, even those with a 4G phone.
    Less than 20% of 3 customers have a 4G phone. How do the rest benefit from "free" 4G?

Even with the most recently reported 48% smartphone penetration, that's still a hell of a lot more smartphone users than 3 has.
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Less than 20% of 3 customers have a 4G phone. How do the rest benefit from "free" 4G?

Generally it will be those who use the most data who have 4G phones. If they can be moved off the 3G network then that will free up capacity for the rest of the users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old 'bird in the hand' syndrome! They have 4G in areas now that is usable.
    Indeed, they even have a few areas with 4G where EE don't. Will people pay more for this? I dunno, I don't see many people talking about O2 4G coverage.

Now that I think about it, I wonder how many customers with 4G phones O2 have. Even if it's half the percentage 3 have, it'd still be more in total.

Certainly, last I recall, the difference in smartphone penetration wasn't even remotely close to 100%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generally it will be those who use the most data who have 4G phones. If they can be moved off the 3G network then that will free up capacity for the rest of the users.

I'm not sure how that's different to O2 offering free 4G to their heaviest users as well.

The whole point was O2's behaviour was supposedly "disgraceful" and it's made worse because one other operator will be offering free 4G to their customers sometime in the next few months.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    And Virgin Media

When Virgin Media put their prices up though, customers are free to reject the increase and terminate their contracts (or affected services if the increase only affects specific services). Which is more than O2's customers can do
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, every other forum I complain about prices rises on I get slated and told to "deal with it, prices rises are an inevitable fact of life and everyone does it!"

And your point is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethorp wrote: »
    When Virgin Media put their prices up though, customers are free to reject the increase and terminate their contracts (or affected services if the increase only affects specific services). Which is more than O2's customers can do

Not always.

Only if it's above inflation, and the same would apply to O2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And your point is?

Point is price rises are the norm with most fixed and wireless communications providers. Some people seem to be trying to make out that O2 are the devil and the only company to have ever increased prices.