Femtocells from different networks in the same location

paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
Forum Member
✭✭
As per the thread,

Is is possible to successfully operate a signal box from EE and the sure signal from Vodafone in the same room in the house.

I realise they will send/receive signal on a similar frequency but not the exact same.

Will there be interference?

Lucan???

Comments

• Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will both change frequency to avoid interferance with each other so I doubt it will be an issue.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    As per the thread,

Is is possible to successfully operate a signal box from EE and the sure signal from Vodafone in the same room in the house.

I realise they will send/receive signal on a similar frequency but not the exact same.

Will there be interference?

Lucan???

Absolutely fine. As you say they will be operating on a different frequency within each network's own spectrum which has to be carefully controlled. They stop working for a bit if they can't ensure frequency accuracy.
  • RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    The Femtos utilise the operators own frequencies so there would be no issue in having one from each operator in the same room.
  • Gaz82Gaz82 Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the previous poster said, I don't think the frequency will be an issue, but you might have a problem with using them both on the same internet connection.

I could be wrong but I think the signal boxes connect back to their specific service providers via a VPN that is created so you may have conflicting port issues if using both at the same time.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't put them too close to each other.

In the same room - fine. On top of each other - probably less fine and might degrade performance a bit.

All radio hardware "leaks" small amounts of interference well outside it's designated frequency range. It's kept to a minimum, but is impossible to be gotten rid of completely. Consumer-grade hardware tends to be worse. Due to the inverse square law, this only really becomes a problem at distances on the order of a few feet or less.