Grey hair

hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
Forum Member
Is it normal to start seeing grey hairs in your 20s?! It's only a few but i'm worried about how i'll look in 10 years time.. :o

Comments

• PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can start going grey at any time. I think its genetics.

I started going grey at 30, about the same time as my Mum did. I now have a lot of grey, but I cover it up with blonde highlights.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was 27 when I found my first few, I'm now 37 and they are now a bit more noticeable :(
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know some people who have gone grey early. I've just gotten my first couple at forty. I'm afraid it's just down to genetics, my dad still had black in his hair in his eighties but my mum was completely grey in her thirties. Thankfully I took after my dad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Is it normal to start seeing grey hairs in your 20s?! It's only a few but i'm worried about how i'll look in 10 years time.. :o

This prob wont make you feel better (sorry). I started going grey at 17, now 51 and white. Other people rattle on about how it is so nice. Yep I love having white hair :rolleyes: but there again I couldn't be assed or be able to afford the upkeep. You are you, unique. Don't worry about it, just enjoy your life to the max. x
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started going grey at the age of sixteen. If you don't like grey hair, the only answer is to dye it. I never did, though ironically my hair went through a phase where the mixture of grey and brown made it look blonde and people thought I did dye it! :D
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I've been going white (apparently we go white in my family not grey) for years, it's only a few bits here and there and in the summer when my hair goes naturally lighter it isn't noticeable. My cousin was pure white at 30 and it actually looked really nice.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also started going grey at 16. I have vitiligo as well but the hair thing is genetic. My dad, grandad and great grandad were all white haired by age 30. Weirdly, my husband who is in his 50s, still doesn't have a grey hair at all and his dad only started going grey in his 80s! So my kids have a real genetic lottery.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A hairdresser told me recently about a woman who went completely grey, then years later her hair started growing her natural colour again! He said he had never seen that before, she had roots of dark hair and the rest white.

Maybe it was a hormone thing or something she started eating?
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my dad had to dye his hair when he got married at 18 and his hair was a nice white
    I started going grey in my 20s and I'm now in my 40s and have decided to let it grow through with no more hair dye..it's a nice silver colour and theres about an inch of it through
    my husband only started to get some grey hairs recently and he's 47..he does have dirty blonde hair but you can notice them and they are a white colour
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Middleton is going grey ... It was in papers yesterday.
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine start at about 20, it hasn't really gotten worse seven years later, just a few bits here and then.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not normal, but it's not a big deal either. Better some grey hair than no hair.
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    It's not normal, but it's not a big deal either. Better some grey hair than no hair.

Oh I think it's 'normal' in the sense that it happens a lot. My uncle was grey at 26 and white at thirty - he was a very handsome, fit and tanned guy though and looked wonderful.

It's just genes, like male pattern baldness, is it normal to be bald by thirty? For some.

I'm in my early fifties and have escaped grey so far - luck. My brother though is pretty bald, and what he does have is grey and he's two years younger.

He is however, still very handsome, has a great bod and cycles like a maniac. *shrugs*.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robin van Persie doesn't seem to care. It might be because he's filthy rich and adored by millions though
  • redprimeraredprimera Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Don't worry you'll be bald and known as cue ball by then.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I'm 27 and I get some grey hairs, mostly in my beard though.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    I know some people who have gone grey early. I've just gotten my first couple at forty. I'm afraid it's just down to genetics, my dad still had black in his hair in his eighties but my mum was completely grey in her thirties. Thankfully I took after my dad.

If your dad still had black hair in his eighties and you've found your first couple at forty, how do you take after him?

Both my parents didn't have any grey until their fifties (actually dad was probably nearer 60) but I have noticed a couple now - I am nearly 46.

As for going grey in your 20's, I've come across a fair few of those. Many moons ago had a boyfriend who at 21 was salt & pepper already and it looked gorgeous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I don't notice them when I look in the mirror, but when I go for a haircut and they put that black apron on you, oh hells bells I see them then, amongst the offcuts...

Why can't they make the apron grey so you don't notice them?
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not unusual. My first few started in my mid-20s. I'm now more grey than black (46).
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Not unusual. My first few started in my mid-20s. I'm now more grey than black (46).

>>>

Same for me. Started when 20. Jjust a few grey hairs , not obvious till about 38 or so. Its said that worry or stress will bring on going grey and I had plenty from the age of 40 which I put down to my hair also starting to thin out considerably . Prior to the worry and stress I had always had a a very thick head of hair, as had my father all his life. The lesson being try and keep clear of worry and stress. Easier said than done of course.