Options

Later... with Jools Holland - Series 44

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b041j817
Episode 1

Later... with Jools Holland, Series 44 Live Episode 1 of 7

Duration: 30 minutes
Later... with Jools Holland returns for a new run of seven episodes, with the now-regular live show on Tuesdays and a full-length show on Fridays.
Joining Jools in the first programme are Elbow, making a welcome return with numbers from their recent chart-topping album The Take Off and Landing of Everything, including their recent single New York Morning.
Neneh Cherry, who made her solo TV debut 25 years ago while heavily pregnant, performs tracks from her long-awaited solo album Blank Project, which features collaborations with Four Tet and Robyn, plus her classic 1988 tune Buffalo Stance.
From Leeds, and making their UK TV debut, are post-punk five-piece Eagulls, whose songs express their anger and discomfort with all around them through their stark lyrics, combined with punchy choruses and brilliant melodies.
On the other side of the musical coin, with 50 years in showbiz and still packing them in, is Leicestershire's own Engelbert Humperdinck, who joins the line-up with a chat and a classic number at the piano.
Also in the studio and making their TV debut are Cambridge-based baroque-house-pop foursome Clean Bandit, performing one of the biggest singles of the year so far - Rather Be - with vocalist Jess Glynne, plus a couple of other tunes.
Completing the line-up is Danish singer-songwriter and pianist Agnes Obel, whose debut album Aventine saw her sweep up various accolades across Europe and became the soundtrack to many a Scandinavian drama

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to tonight's live opener. Sadly there isn't anyone in the line-up who takes my fancy.

I am curious about pianist Agnes Obel, she could be interesting. Also curious about Clean Bandit. I was out of the country when their single Rather Be was released and apparently it was a Top 10 hit so would like to hear what the song sounds like.

Old fart of the day goes to Engelbert Humperdinck who i'm positive appeared last year on the show. Wish they would stop with these old timers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree. Getting Gerry on is almost a novelty for a laugh. Not really a fan of Elbow and I haven't heard of the rest.

ETA: I've heard of Cherry.

Hope the post-punk band is good.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Engelbert Humperdinck is good enough for this show then it is about time Cliff Richard was given an appearance too. Shocking that he has never been on.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neneh Cherry looks absolutely great for a near 50 year old. I was a big fan of hers and loved her last album which was released about 16 years ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nw0307 wrote: »
    Neneh Cherry looks absolutely great for a near 50 year old
    I was thinking the same thing. But did think it was strange of her with that style of yoof music
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Hope the post-punk band is good.
    Disappointing. Sounds like The Cure.
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing. But did think it was strange of her with that style of yoof music

yeah I liked it when she did a bit of chillout stuff with Portishead on her last album. Buffalo Stance and Manchild are absolute classics though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, Engelbert:blush:
    The rest of it's been OK, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought exactly the same about Neneh Cherry, as I looked and recalled Manchild, her hit from 25 years ago this spring. She looked much the same now as then.

Engelbert looked like he had been having his springtime creosote. What a colour. Unfortunately, what a voice.....quite a few bum notes there tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He seemed to forget the words at one point, too!
    Agree with everyone on Neneh though - she looks terrific!
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elbow finished the show on a high.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elbow - first song 'meh', second song absolutely beautiful - loved it.
    Neneh Cherry - exciting. Very edgy.
    Clean Bandit - just pants. Did this song really get to No1?!
    Agnes Obel - dull.

Is Neneh Cherry really 50? Goodness, i was thinking she's really fit for someone in her early 40's! :blush:
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason Cliff hasn't been awarded points on the PMN scale [ post modern and naff ] by the hip cats that run the music industry.

The top twenty hits of lmedia lauded 60s artists like Tom Jones, Engelbert, Tony Christie combined don't get anywhere near Cliff's chart success.

It's rather a mystery, maybe he's pissed the media off by daring to being a Christian in a Christian country [ the HORROR ] not discussing his private life , or having the audacity to NOT being found drunk at the wheel of a car , or found licking cocaine out of the belly button of a 16 year old rent boy.
  • Options
    MarkBluemelMarkBluemel Posts: 1,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding "Eagulls",
    Disappointing. Sounds like The Cure.

We said much the same. Sounded like a Cure out-take, but with less flair.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    For some reason Cliff hasn't been awarded points on the PMN scale [ post modern and naff ] by the hip cats that run the music industry.

The top twenty hits of lmedia lauded 60s artists like Tom Jones, Engelbert, Tony Christie combined don't get anywhere near Cliff's chart success.

It's rather a mystery, maybe he's pissed the media off by daring to being a Christian in a Christian country [ the HORROR ] not discussing his private life , or having the audacity to NOT being found drunk at the wheel of a car , or found licking cocaine out of the belly button of a 16 year old rent boy.

Setting aside the issue that this isn't a Christian country, Cliff Richard is a pompous git and if he did get on Later he would just whine on about how he was the Big Thing back in the Dark Ages and how he is so unappreciated and how he is the real rebel for beiong so clean-living, blah blah blah...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Clean Bandit - just pants. Did this song really get to No1?!
    Did it? :eek:
    It's ok as far as being inoffensive - the kind of track that might come on the radio in the background that wouldn't bother you too much - but an actual popular hit?

I feel the same about KatyB. Her stuff seems like it's made for being in the background and it could be any session singer singing them.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    If Engelbert Humperdinck is good enough for this show then it is about time Cliff Richard was given an appearance too. Shocking that he has never been on.
    I don't consider either of them are suitable artists for Later. It's not just an 'age' issue either. Both Tony Bennett and Tom Jones have appeared in recent years and they both proved they are still convincing and relevant performers. EH is well washed out and his only major claim to fame in the 60s was being the first artist in 4 years since 1963 to hold the Beatles off the no 1 spot.. Even then he was just an average crooner. By the 70s he had been largely forgotten about.

Having said that there are plenty of younger modern artists who arguably should never have made it on to Later because they are just plain naff or unoriginal. But then again if it wasn't for Later a few of my favourite discoveries over the past decade or so. would have completely passed me by.. It's worth putting up with all the cr*p just to appreciate the odd musical gem that tends to surface on Later.
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Cliff has been asked to appear but declined.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »

Or Daniel O'Donnell, Vera Lynn or Val Doonican.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I don't consider either of them are suitable artists for Later. It's not just an 'age' issue either. Both Tony Bennett and Tom Jones have appeared in recent years and they both proved they are still convincing and relevant performers. EH is well washed out and his only major claim to fame in the 60s was being the first artist in 4 years since 1963 to hold the Beatles off the no 1 spot.. Even then he was just an average crooner. By the 70s he had been largely forgotten about.

Having said that there are plenty of younger modern artists who arguably should never have made it on to Later because they are just plain naff or unoriginal. But then again if it wasn't for Later a few of my favourite discoveries over the past decade or so. would have completely passed me by.. It's worth putting up with all the cr*p just to appreciate the odd musical gem that tends to surface on Later.
    I actually couldn't believe that having got Engelbert Humperdinck on Later they ended up being so utterly predictable and having him sing that tired out song Release Me yet again. The man must be beyond sick of the sound of it. Surely something a little different would have been par for the course? As for Jools stating what a wondeful song it was, I was deeply sceptical about how genuine he was being.
    Aidan11 wrote: »
    Maybe Cliff has been asked to appear but declined.
    I was thinking this myself. I find it hard to believe he would snub such a show. I reckon they are operating one of those typically superior snobby attitudes and just don't want him on the show. Trouble is that Later is a show that acts so pretentious and believes it is far hipper than it really is.
    Or Daniel O'Donnell, Vera Lynn or Val Doonican.

Vera Lynn is certainly getting on a bit, 97 I think, but on the face of it there should be no reason why not, she is a legendary singer with a historic relevance from wartime Britain.

Daniel O'Donnell, now that is pushing it too far! Might as well have Jedward on in that case. To compare him not ever being on with Cliff is an atrocious slight on Cliff Richard. The fact that this country's most successful male solo artist by a very long distance has never appeared almost sounds spiteful. ;-)
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was being flippant with Daniel O'Donnell. Maybe its past Cliff's bedtime.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    or found licking cocaine out of the belly button of a 16 year old rent boy.

Dare one say
    yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week you have Paolo Nutini, Royal Blood, Neil Finn, Joan as Police Woman and Lucius.

No one really takes my fancy in that line-up either. Paolo Nutini will be interesting because he's been away for 5 years and has apparently come back with a rather excellent album according to most reviews. Neil Finn i know of, as for the rest no idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think any new band that decides to call themselves Eagulls is on to a loser from the start. Not only is it an appallingly bad pun worthy of the headline writers of the red top national rags but it simply sounds like the well know Eagles and there is no real way to make it sound different enough. Major fail in the band naming stakes.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme is really beyond a joke. How can anybody have lost so much joy and enthusiasm in their life that they actively choose to listen to the dreary and turgid dross served up on this show. It's truly a music programme for coffin dodgers.