LEGO Question

EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,229
Forum Member
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but one of my hobbies is buying/building/collecting LEGO. I was in America last month and I noticed that the LEGO is a lot cheaper there, and I was wondering if there was a way I could buy LEGO online at US prices from the UK?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the cost of shipping and import duty would most likely negate any real saving.
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but one of my hobbies is buying/building/collecting LEGO. I was in America last month and I noticed that the LEGO is a lot cheaper there, and I was wondering if there was a way I could buy LEGO online at US prices from the UK?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Probably, but bear in mind that you may well be hit for import duties, which includes the duty itself (a couple of %), VAT (20%) and usually an admin fee (£8 for Royal Mail), so it needs to be a good saving to make it worthwhile!
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    I've been buying Lego from Ebay (UK), mainly from sellers in Germany and Denmark. Think it works out a fair bit cheaper!
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been buying Lego from Ebay (UK), mainly from sellers in Germany and Denmark. Think it works out a fair bit cheaper!

if i could find the ghostbusters car and the vw camper van kits cheaper then i'm all ears.
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,229
    Forum Member
    Tavis75 wrote: »
    Probably, but bear in mind that you may well be hit for import duties, which includes the duty itself (a couple of %), VAT (20%) and usually an admin fee (£8 for Royal Mail), so it needs to be a good saving to make it worthwhile!

It is more for the bigger sets, as that's when you'll get a bigger saving. That, and I like buying LEGO when we go to the shops, and I don't want to stop doing that, so I would continue to buy the smaller ones when we're at the shops, and keep the bigger ones for online. Kind of like what I do now, but hopefully at a cheaper price.

If I don't get much of a saving, I probably won't bother, but I was just curious to see if it was possible, and where.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can sometimes get cheaper stuff from Bricklink. A lot of sellers do deals on bulk buys.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest using LEGO mules to smuggle it in. "Hidden" if you catch my drift.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    I would suggest using LEGO mules to smuggle it in. "Hidden" if you catch my drift.
    There forms an idea;
    have the sets opened at source (not the brick bags! just the carton) and have the instructions mailed separately. Then the "value" for duty/VAT purposes will be minimal on each package.
  • alr837alr837 Posts: 1,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've often found sets to be cheaper in certain European countries, so worth comparing prices on the different amazon sites - no duty. Even with a delivery charge, its been cheaper and very quick.
    I got the Tower Bridge set for £100 from the italian amazon, when it was close to £200 here - and £5 delivery.
    I now do a couple of big deliveries a year to cover all the kids I need to buy for, never for me of course.....