Scottish Independence not so unlikely

Comments

• AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, I did at the bottom, apologies. :D

However, I primarily meant business in general, although I do believe that several big businesses will be moving, too.

Not a good position for Scotland or its people.

Several will be staying and some will be moving in. It will be swings and roundabouts,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It undermines the claim that big businesses won't move though, and even if they aren't legally forced too some might want to move to avoid the chaos and confusion that comes with starting a new sovereign state...

Some might and some might not. There will be time for negotiations after the Referendum.
  • Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    Several will be staying and some will be moving in. It will be swings and roundabouts,
    Who would be moving in? Such a big risk to take. I'm fairly sure business would move out, I'm not so convinced business would be moving in, at least not for a decent enough time to see how things balance out, and that could be a decade or more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would be moving in? Such a big risk to take. I'm fairly sure business would move out, I'm not so convinced business would be moving in, at least not for a decent enough time to see how things balance out, and that could be a decade or more.

I take it you'll be voting no then. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it you'll be voting no then. :D
    Absolutely. :D
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EU has indicated a preference for new members joining the Euro, but I believe Salmond has found a precedent for it not being a necessity...

I hope that's correct but they may not allow entry to European Union if they are beaten on the Euro.
    I always hear the yes campaign saying UK cant stop Scots using Uk pound but I don't think an independent Scotland could use Bank of England backed pound.
  • zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do you know where Hadrian's Wall is? :o

As it is all in England I am not sure how many Northumbrians will feel about suddenly becoming Scottish! Who knows, they may be quite pleased!!

And, how will you ban us from using the English language?

It was a joke!

All in all I now know why Dave C has ordered the other air craft carrier.

Its clearly for the British campaign to take North Sea Oil from the rebel Scots!
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Just out of interest, do you know where Hadrian's Wall is? :o

As it is all in England I am not sure how many Northumbrians will feel about suddenly becoming Scottish! Who knows, they may be quite pleased!!

And, how will you ban us from using the English language?

Well I certainly wouldn't be pleased.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Who would be moving in?

Trump Interrnational. Donald's big pals with Salmond isn't he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Artemis1 wrote: »
    I hope that's correct but they may not allow entry to European Union if they are beaten on the Euro.
    I always hear the yes campaign saying UK cant stop Scots using Uk pound but I don't think an independent Scotland could use Bank of England backed pound.

Legally they can use the Pound, but without a formal currency union (which they appear to be unlikely to get at the moment) they have no say in decisions the Bank of England makes, and they can't expect the UK to come to the rescue in the event of a fiscal emergency (as they could if they got a formal currency union).

It's a solution that works (although it has very few advantages), but in the long run the best solution would probably be for Scotland to create it's own currency, and not get it's heart set on EU membership...
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mega-numpty Ed Miliband has made a 'yes' vote all the more likely with his manipulative nonsense about 'border security' and 'passport checks' between England and Scotland.

Demonstrating his usual degree of poltical savvy...

That's just a Daily Fail article, Milky won't even think to any of that Labour love Eastern EU immigrants, that could only happen if UKIP were to get in Gov
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Trump Interrnational. Donald's big pals with Salmond isn't he?
    Is he? Grand, a man who has already upset many of the Scottish people. Who better to bring on board.
    Forum Member
    It's a solution that works (although it has very few advantages), but in the long run the best solution would probably be for Scotland to create it's own currency, and not get it's heart set on EU membership...

Exactly. The SNP would have had this referendum wrapped up now had they just promised true Sovereign independence and a Scottish currency right from the beginning. Instead, they've muddied the waters with currency unions, EU membership and the like. I mean, bloody hell, most people are clawing for a referendum to get OUT of the EU and Salmond has the perfect opportunity on a plate!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. The SNP would have had this referendum wrapped up now had they just promised true Sovereign independence and a Scottish currency right from the beginning. Instead, they've muddied the waters with currency unions, EU membership and the like. I mean, bloody hell, most people are clawing for a referendum to get OUT of the EU and Salmond has the perfect opportunity on a plate!
    You raise a good point. I want the UK to leave the EU, but Salmond is promising we'll remain a part of the EU, and if we get kicked out he'll get us back in. I can't agree with him on that, either.
    Forum Member
    You raise a good point. I want the UK to leave the EU, but Salmond is promising we'll remain a part of the EU, and if we get kicked out he'll get us back in. I can't agree with him on that, either.

It highlights that he's just like every Westminster politician - beholden to the controls of their Brussels masters. He doesn't want independence, he just wants his own line into the EU mutual masturbation club.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It highlights that he's just like every Westminster politician.

That is not factual. He is not a Westminster politician! He is the First Minister of Scotland and represents Moray in the Scottish Parliament.

As for the EU debate...... Scotland will gain entry to the EU and it's right being part of a much bigger collection of nations, better together some might say! Meanwhile many in Westminster think that for the UK it's better being separate from the EU which is kind of hypocritical considering their stance re Scottish independence.
  • George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    B.Caine wrote: »
    It's a shame that the Scot's hate us so much, many south of the border have Scottish Mothers/Fathers/Grandfathers Etc, we are tied by so many things that I think we should stay together, remember that the UK people are not the ones stopping Scotland from getting all they want it's the this Tory lot that are doing it, surly it would be better to give the Scot's EVERYTHING but then let's stay together, I know the UK would be all the better for it and hopefully Scotland.

What a horrible comment, and more to the point, complete lies.

The only thing this whole thing comes down to is who we want to decide makes the decision for our country, that is it.

So take your xenophobic nonsense and put it back up your bum from where it came from
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes why did he not grab the opportunity gifted to him.
    He cannot offer independent Scotland a referendum in the future having been given a mandate in 2 weeks to join E.U
    What about the concessions to Scotland the chancellor talked about this morning.
    I didn't see the programme just caught the headlines on radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is not factual. He is not a Westminster politician! He is the First Minister of Scotland and represents Moray in the Scottish Parliament.

As for the EU debate...... Scotland will gain entry to the EU and it's right being part of a much bigger collection of nations, better together some might say! Meanwhile many in Westminster think that for the UK it's better being separate from the EU which is kind of hypocritical considering their stance re Scottish independence.
    Yet it's not hypocritical to say we're "better together" as a part of the EU?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You want the UK to leave the EU, but you want Scotland to remain in the UK?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artemis1 wrote: »
    What about the concessions to Scotland the chancellor talked about this morning.
    I didn't see the programme just caught the headlines on radio.

If these are genuine why did the UK government not put a Devo Max question of the ballot paper? If that option existed perhaps it would have attracted support but they chose not to offer it. Should Scots trust what is being offered by London based parties a week ahead of a referendum?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You want the UK to leave the EU, but you want Scotland to remain in the UK?
    Yes, I'm very happy being a part of the UK, but I'm not so happy the UK being a part of Europe. You could argue that's hypocritical, but it's two very different things. I believe the UK could do very well as it is without the EU. I'm not convinced the same could be said of Scotland if it leaves the UK.
    Forum Member
    That is not factual. He is not a Westminster politician! He is the First Minister of Scotland and represents Moray in the Scottish Parliament..
    Well, yes, I know. My point being that he constantly has digs at "Westminister politicians", when he himself acts just like every one of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'm very happy being a part of the UK, but I'm not so happy the UK being a part of Europe. You could argue that's hypocritical, but it's two very different things. I believe the UK could do very well as it is without the EU. I'm not convinced the same could be said of Scotland if it leaves the UK.

How condescending!

The Better together concept only works for some, not for all and small nations fare worse than bigger ones do they?

Ask the folks in Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark and elsewhere and I expect they will confirm they are prosperous, secure and optimistic about their prospects in the largest trading block on planet earth.

One thing I am pleased about is that Westminster politicians will be well practiced with their project fear agenda as they will need to be when they have to convince rUK voters about remaining in the EU in 2017.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How condescending!

The Better together concept only works for some, not for all and small nations fare worse than bigger ones do they?

As the folks in Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark and elsewhere and I expect they will confirm they are prosperous, secure and optimistic about their prospects in the largest trading block on planet earth.
    I have friends who live in Norway, and they don't confirm any of that. :)