A "this is where I walked today" ap.

zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
Forum Member
✭✭
Going on a walk from point A to point B

Is there a simple ap that will track my route (either by continuously recording my location or by letting me mark specific points along the route) so I can go back from B to A by following the reverse route ? (and also repeat the A to B journey without the 10mins of wrong directioning I took cos I stopped "being at one" with my google-maps generated directions printout. >:( )

I haven't got an ap phone yet but will be buying one in the not-to-distant future.

Oh yes and I'm an ap newbie. :blush:

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one called my tracks. I don't use it an awful lot but seemed pretty good the last time I used it.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ looks promising though (understandably) kinda hard to test it out without me having a darn phone :doh:. And where there's one there's gonna be others. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'My tracks' is great if you get an Android phone. Shows you your current speed, and average walking/running speed too at the end of it.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mate of mine has the tracks app, really sucks his battery dry, although he leaves it on all the time.

Maybe it's because when he goes inside a building the gps is continuously trying to get a signal?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    ...Maybe it's because when he goes inside a building the gps is continuously trying to get a signal?
    There are two parts to GPS;
    The radio receiver which will use constant power when it is active. It is just listening for data from the transmitters on board the satellites,
    The calculating chip, which when there are valid signals received, has lots of numbercrunching to do to first work out where each satellite is (from its prescribed orbit and the onboard atomic clock), then work out the position of the phone from the subtle phase differences between the different satellites signals.
    Inside and without GPS data, there's no reason for the chip to be busy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do any of these apps need the internet to work. I ask because were I to get one for a pay-as-you-go phone that hadn't been topped-up for a long while, which iiuc would mean I'd have no internet access, would the app simply not work.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve not used My Tracks for awhile now but from memory it does not need the internet other than to updating the app itself.
  • millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Almost any of the cycling apps - such as Strava, MapMy Ride or RideWithGPS will do what you want.
    I use RWGPS and can confirm it does not need a data connection while in use ( but does have a handy 'live logging' feature so that others can see where you are - this feature does need mobile data, but can be disabled/enabled)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^:woot:
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭