Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If all this was indeed just a tragic accident and OP story is true could a reasonable person live with what he has done and get on with the rest of their life?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »
    I'd like to see you deliver the same verdict in her native language.

Well, I have several decades to practice it in before I get to that age. Meetcha back here in 30.
    Goodness, 66. I'm surprised she's still alive at that age!

Her fave show is One Foot in the Grave.
  • Jean_KellyJean_Kelly Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    She looks more like 76 to me.
  • BarbaroonieBarbaroonie Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Second morning in a row I've awoken to news (in the US) that makes me feel like the earth is off its axis. WTF is wrong with this judge, this "system" (of corruption), a society that can so quickly forgive and lionize the worst kind of characters?!? I am having trouble finding the words to match my outrage at this abortion of justice.

OP's entire clan are despicable and smarmy and my heart hurts for the Steenkamps. Just had to ring in with my sentiments. >:(>:(>:(>:(:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Regardless of the truth behind the Pistorius case, it's now obvious (not just in SA) if you shoot someone without being seen, you can just claim accident. Everyone gets 1 free murder when you have routine use of guns. Much harder to do with any other weapon.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panic, fear, not necessarily 'ha, ha - I'm gonna kill this person!'.

Can we forget about Steenkamp for a second. We've heard a lot about the hypothetical intruder and how it doesn't matter if he killed Steenkamp or if he'd killed an intruder.

So imagine that it had been an intruder and a notorious intruder who, it turned out, had a long record of breaking into houses, killing, raping, etc. etc.

If Pistorius had killed this intruder then what sentence do you think he would've got?

All of this is irrelevant as it wouldn't have been known to OP at the time he pulled the trigger. Also OP should, like in this case be culpable of Dolus eventualis and therefore be guilty of murder.
    Forum Member
    Second morning in a row I've awoken to news (in the US) that makes me feel like the earth is off its axis. WTF is wrong with this judge, this "system" (of corruption), a society that can so quickly forgive and lionize the worst kind of characters?!? I am having trouble finding the words to match my outrage at this abortion of justice.

OP's entire clan are despicable and smarmy and my heart hurts for the Steenkamps. Just had to ring in with my sentiments. >:(>:(>:(>:(:cry:

Loads of us on here agree with you.
  • Eliza_MacleanEliza_Maclean Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    :confused:

1. Straker is not a judge and has never claimed to know Afrikaans (or whatever the judge's native language is).

2. This judge was willing to hear the case in English. If there was a problem with her language skills, she should have admitted this from the start. Also, if she is hard of hearing, unable to follow proceedings correctly, too tired, unwell or confused about basic points of law, it was her responsibility to stand down.

BIB: Not Afrikaans, Annie, that is one of the things I learned during the trial (pretty late, considering my age & profession) - Afrikaans is the language white people spoke/spoke in South Africa. Roux, Nel, OP etc. They all speak Afrikaans (has to do with Dutch/German).

I think Masipa's native language is Zulu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All of that is irrelevant to me. We will never know what went on between them that night. What we do know is that OP believed that there was an intruder in his bathroom. As a result he loaded his gun and shot into the room 4 times. There was somebody behind the door and they died. If you take an action like that you are guilty of murder, irregardless of who was behind the door. If there had been an intruder and he had killed them would it all have been ok then?

Yes, it would have been.

Do some of you understand what goes on in South Africa, especially to people who are rich!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    She must.

She`s 66, unable to pronounce words in her own written statement and as shown throughout the trial seemingly incapable of understanding simple phrases and scenarios. Senility is an entirely reasonable conclusion to draw given her pensionable age.

I doubt she was the author of any of that garbage she read out in court. She has always been nothing more than a puppet whose mandate was to deliver an already decided 'not guilty' verdict.

l
  • Eliza_MacleanEliza_Maclean Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jean_Kelly wrote: »
    She looks more like 76 to me.

See, I agree with that, too. ;-)
    (just deleted the rest of my comment .... too nasty; she's not in good health with the Arthritis and the way she moves, but I used to say that was heroic .....)
    Forum Member
    See, I agree with that, too. ;-)
    (just deleted the rest of my comment .... too nasty; she's not in good health with the Arthritis and the way she moves, but I used to say that was heroic .....)

We are SO ON THE SAME WAVELENGH it's scary. :D
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Panic, fear, not necessarily 'ha, ha - I'm gonna kill this person!'.

Can we forget about Steenkamp for a second. We've heard a lot about the hypothetical intruder and how it doesn't matter if he killed Steenkamp or if he'd killed an intruder.

So imagine that it had been an intruder and a notorious intruder who, it turned out, had a long record of breaking into houses, killing, raping, etc. etc.

If Pistorius had killed this intruder then what sentence do you think he would've got?

If the "intruder" had been black he wouldn't even have been charged. In fact, he would probably have appeared on the front of the Pretoria Herald receiving an award.
  • AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guy1968 wrote: »
    I doubt she was the author of any of that garbage she read out in court. She has always been nothing more than a puppet whose mandate was to deliver an already decided 'not guilty' verdict.

l

That is how it seemed. She seemed to get lost quite a lot and mixed up a lot of what she was reading. It was quite embarrassing really.
  • IamtiredmiladyIamtiredmilady Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but what sentence would he have got? (we're talking sentences now as the verdict, culpable homicide, is a done deal).

Surely as the law shouldn't distinguish between victims in the course of justice then from Judge Masipa he should receive the same sentence as she will hand down to him in this case assuming that circumstances were identical at the time of shooting. As we don't know what the sentence is going to be it's impossible to be precise.

Whether the sentence would be same we can only speculate, it's hypothetical, and Judge Masipa has confused me enough that I wouldn't be surprised at anything.
  • maringarmaringar Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    Jeremy99 wrote: »
    If Shakespeare were alive today he would change …

‘Something is rotten in the state of Denmark’.

To something is rotten in the state of South Africa.

Clearly the State have several grounds for appeal and I would expect them to do so, indeed if any members of the SCA were watching, which is an almost a certainty, they will guess it is coming their way.

On the lesser charge of the possession of ammunition the case law Masipa used to ‘justify’ her decision has no bearing whatsoever on the charge. She basically quoted that if a person is UNKNOWING in possession of a firearm or has just picked one up and is proceeding to hand it in to a police station then they should not be charged for not having a licence.’ Quite right of course, but this has NOTHING to do with Pistorius possessing ammunition. He KNEW he had it as he gave his father permission to store it in his safe and obviously he was not returning it in any way. So Masipa’s argument is clearly fallacious, indeed it stinks as this was used to dismiss the most serious charge with regard to severity of sentence.

It is the opinion of many legal experts Masipa erred both in judgement and the application of the law regarding dolus eventualis

Her judgement that a reasonable man would not foresee that firing 4 bullets into a small space knowing, on his version, there was a person in there, and that the person would not be killed is certainly not sound and needs revisiting by the SCA

As does her confusion on one hand talking about killing whoever, ie an unnamed person was behind the door to suddenly drifting into specifics by making that person Reeva. Indeed if I was suspicious I would say that this was constructed to deliberately negate the fact that Pistorius has stated on oath he was trying to kill an intruder, so she removed the intruder from the equation.

Very smelly indeed.

I think it suits these 'So Called Experts' to keep the hype going. How many of them have come out of the woodwork to give opinions and are getting paid for same thereby incensing already gullible listeners, who don't want to acknowledge the truth according to the Law and a very competent Judge
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loads of us on here agree with you.
    I don't.
    Forum Member
    via_487 wrote: »
    I don't.

Oh ok I know there are some that don't agree .
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    All of this is irrelevant as it wouldn't have been known to OP at the time he pulled the trigger. Also OP should, like in this case be culpable of Dolus eventualis and therefore be guilty of murder.

The verdict is culpable homicide. Do you think he should get 15 years in prison if the intruder had been real and if the intruder had been armed to the teeth with a history of violent break-ins? Yes or no will suffice.

I'm trying establish what people think the sentence ought to be now the verdict has been given as culpable homicide.
    Forum Member
    Oh ok I know there are some that don't agree .

I don't either.
    Forum Member
    Surely as the law shouldn't distinguish between victims in the course of justice then from Judge Masipa he should receive the same sentence as she will hand down to him in this case assuming that circumstances were identical at the time of shooting. As we don't know what the sentence is going to be it's impossible to be precise.

Whether the sentence would be same we can only speculate, it's hypothetical, and Judge Masipa has confused me enough that I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

So you think it would be acceptable, had he indeed shot a 'violent intruder', for him to get 15 years in prison for doing so?
    Forum Member
    I don't either.

Blimey I only said loads of us I didn't say everyone!:)
    Forum Member
    Blimey I only said loads of us I didn't say everyone!:)

:D Sorry, I couldn't resist :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The verdict is culpable homicide. Do you think he should get 15 years in prison if the intruder had been real and if the intruder had been armed to the teeth with a history of violent break-ins? Yes or no will suffice.

I'm trying establish what people think the sentence ought to be now the verdict has been given as culpable homicide.

Yes I do, mainly because he couldn't see the threat behind a locked toilet door!

I refer you to the SA gun license application form:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Legal Discussion after court proceedings from Channel 199 (audio)
    Bongani Bingwa with David Dadic and James Aveyard:
    https://soundcloud.com/giles-10/bongani-1/s-N4Uuj
This discussion has been closed.