Do you decorate for Halloween?

2»

Comments

• Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't answer the door to trick or treaters although I do like Halloween but because it's an excuse to have a party. Our friend always hosts it though, usually on the closest Saturday to Halloween. He really goes all out with the decorations though and his house ends up being genuinely freaky. The other year he boarded all the windows up so it looked abandoned and made every room different. The hallway was covered in hessian sacks and had smoke and strobe lighting with dolls body parts and actual pig body parts (that he got from the butchers) hanging on chains from the ceiling. There was even the pigs head in the corner. Another room was covered in plastic, Dexter style and had creepy messages written all over the walls in blood. Another had a swivel chair with restraints in front of a bank of TVs, each playing a different horror film on loop. The guy should do set design, he does an incredible job.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    We have some Halloween bunting and a blow up ghost that we put up in the window and we occasionally get a pumpkin (that's if sainsbury's hasn't sold out). I think when we have children it will be different. We always have a stock of sweets for any trick or treaters.

I loved Halloween as a child, it helps that my birthday is two days before so I could always do the Halloween party thing and have apple bobbing and Halloween cakes. I remember going trick or treating as a child, but I have noticed that recently some children go and don't bother dressing up.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We did up until last year, when some horrible kid over the road stole my sons toy from out of his hand,and now he doesnt want anything to do with it anymore so this year we are not doing a thing, I have had enough of it, handing out bag after bag of sweets , we are locking up for the night and going to the pub instead ;)
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there's nothing wrong with a black bin bag and a mask no need for fancy outfits, WELL ITS WHAT WE USE TO WEAR lol :D

Yeah that's what we wore too! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in this house, but my sisters do the whole party thing (for their kids, you see. Or so they say).

Halloween is an occasion anyway though because it's also my mother's birthday.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only to the extent that if the kids made something in school I would put it up. They are past all that years ago.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Also, FWIW, I thought it was supposed to be a good thing.
    I seem to recall that all the ghosts and ghoulies are supposed to come out on Midsummer's night and Halloween is when they go back to the underworld so you're celebrating seeing the last of them for another year.

Yeah, they're all sodding off because it's about to be All Saints Day, and that really ain't their kind of party.

Last year I rather imaginatively watched John Carpenter's Halloween on Halloween. This year I may, equally imaginatively, watch Halloween II.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i dont >:(
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I live in the Southern Hemisphere so it's not dark till about 9 so there's not much point tbh. I go round to a friend's who decorates majorly though.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    Halloween is my excuse to watch A LOT of horror movies.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Last year I rather imaginatively watched John Carpenter's Halloween on Halloween. This year I may, equally imaginatively, watch Halloween II.
    dee123 wrote: »
    Halloween is my excuse to watch A LOT of horror movies.

Which reminds me...

You're all bloody lightweights.

GhostWatch should be compulsory TV viewing on Halloween.

Missus had never seen it until I showed it to her a couple of years ago and it still had exactly the same effect it had in 1992. :D
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't, but I probably would if I had kids.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I realise Halloween isn't really a big thing in the UK (as big as it is in the USA anyway), but I was just wondering if any forum users decorate their place for Halloween?

I have never had the chance, but since I got my own place this year, I shall really enjoy decorating and going all out for Halloween, giving sweets to trick or treaters and whatnot. It's going to be a blast.

If you do decorate, where do you get your Halloween decor from? I have looked at the usual (Amazon, eBay, Etsy) and not really found much, and the supermarkets seem to be stocking up on Christmas stuff rather than Halloween items right now.

Halloween has always been the highlight of my year. I love it more than Christmas. :blush:

I don't decorate much for Christmas, let alone Halloween.

I left some Christmas lights along the stairs for a while in January and some person knocked on the door asking if the place was a brothel.

I said 'Of course it is. We have a good selection of Romanian girls here (trafficked of course). However, the bouncers will shoot you with AK47s if you don't pay up front. That'll be £100/hour per girl. If you don't believe me, look at Facebook, where there are a few vids of me juggling £50 notes and brandishing an axe.'

:p
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,267
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Which reminds me...

You're all bloody lightweights.

GhostWatch should be compulsory TV viewing on Halloween.

Missus had never seen it until I showed it to her a couple of years ago and it still had exactly the same effect it had in 1992. :D

>:( Excuse me but this year i'm going to try to cram in 31 horror movies this October.

So, Ooh stick you your mama too and your daddy :D
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. And definitely not on the 15th of September ;)
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Halloween is a great day to mug someone, bonfire night a great day to shoot someone.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I used to, but a neighbour told me decorating the house for Halloween is inviting trick or treaters so I don't bother any more. I had a lot of trouble with them.
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to, but a neighbour told me decorating the house for Halloween is inviting trick or treaters so I don't bother any more. I had a lot of trouble with them.

That's why I don't bother either.
  • Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    No i dont >:(

Why the >:( face ?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halloween is a silly tradition and that trick or treat thing is the worst.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I am concerned all it means is that the Freeview channels will (hopefully) put on a few decent horror films that I have not seen yet. :)
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    If you do decorate, where do you get your Halloween decor from? I have looked at the usual (Amazon, eBay, Etsy) and not really found much, and the supermarkets seem to be stocking up on Christmas stuff rather than Halloween items right now.

TKMaxx used to sell the best Halloween decorations and accoutrements, but they seemed to stop that about three years ago. Shame, as they had everything from large ceramic pumpkins, to dinner plates, Halloween snow globes and even toiletries and hand towels, etc.
    I think most people just get everything from pound shops now.
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pretty much ignore Halloween, though one year I made my son a 'pumpkin' latern out of a turnip, I left it on the grate next to the fire, when I got up the next morning it had completely vanished, only the string handle and tea light candle remained, I was really spooked, how the hell did it just vanish! I eventualy worked out that my boxer dog ate it, greedy pig!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we used to have parties when the kids were young.
    Our little estate has always been big on Halloween. Most of us stock up on sweets and decorate outside with pumpkins and so on so the kids know if they knock they will get goodies. I love it, I hate when I'm on the evening shift and miss out on the trick and treaters.
    Most years on here some of the more talented FMs post pics of their pumpkins. Which make me feel inadequate, mine is never as good.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope - although I am planning on going out dressed as *something* this year, since it falls on a Friday.