Options

Forever (US PACE)

gaz141gaz141 Posts: 1,049
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Couldn't see a thread on this.

Anyone watched the pilot? I quite enjoyed it. Will defintely give it a go when it starts late September. Will be interesting to see where they go with it and I only ever saw the first Highlander movie and didn't watch the TV seriers so have no comparisons to compare to really.

Comments

• Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's a new show on ABC in the US, this was the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXp8W4wqyU
  • Options
    chocolategagachocolategaga Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    just outta interest will this be a us or uk pace thread? oh was picked up by sky along with the flash just to mention those who might not know
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry didn't know Sky was picking this up. I'll be watching US Pace, can a mod amend the title of this thread to US Pace please
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gaz141 wrote: »
    I'll be watching US Pace, can a mod amend the title of this thread to US Pace please

They've done this for me before but you'll need to let them know as they don't read every post

If you click the alert on your opening post and ask them via that then they'll usually oblige
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank you, I shall do that
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am looking forward to this as well.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is one I'll wait on, see if it survives to season 2 before I start watching.

I suspect I'd enjoy it, but just reeks of an annoying cancelled after one series cliffhanger.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That was definitely a good first episode. I liked the main character and the chemistry between the 4 main cast.
    Good use of flashbacks.

It was very similar to Highlander, but that's not a bad thing.

It could do with a good mix of stand alone episodes and arc stories.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it too koan.

Hope though that the arc introduced in ep 1 doesn't drag on too long, as it will put me off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    I enjoyed it too koan.

Hope though that the arc introduced in ep 1 doesn't drag on too long, as it will put me off.

I know what you mean, that's why I nope they get the mix right.

Person of Interest got the mix right between stand alone episodes and arc episodes.

I've been disappointed too many times by shows that have this big ideal and then in the end, end up with a Deus Ex type ending, (looking at you Lost).

Here we have the idea that someone can become immortal just because they die in a certain way (not sure if it was the sea, or protecting the slave, or something else that made him immortal).

But is there really a reason why he became immortal (e.g. Destiny, fate, God etc) or was it just an accident?

When the other immortal dies, does he come back in water or does he come back the way he died, assuming he died differently?

What happens to their body? It seems to disappear, but if that is the case then when he was hung (in the past) did he disappear in front of people?
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The voice overs were dreadful. The closing one in particular was like a student exercise to see how many cliches could be compressed into the shortest space. When plot exposition depends on voice overs, you know that money and imagination are both in short supply.
  • Options
    GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Watched this and thought it wasnt too bad.

Slightly annoyed that the have made the lead character a replica of Sherlock - merging Uk Sherlock with Elementary Sherlock, embodied by a British actorr too!

That said, the opener was enjoyable and has me enough intrigued to keep watching, I enjoy police procdurals and am enjoying these new ones that come with a twist. I just hope that the Immortality twist is really worked into the plot and isnt just a gimmick.

After watching episode 2 which aired the night after, good to see that the Immortality plot is more than a gimmick and will form part of the background story - who is Adam - another immortal who claims to have been around for 2000 years?? I thought this was an interesting concept! I just hope we are not left too long in the dark as to Adam's identity. If introduced into the series proper, he could very well serve to introduce a whole new range of ideas, stories as well as insights into World history which I personally love.

Seems like the lead is fated to not discover why he is immortal considering that Adam is still not any closer to finding out despite having been around for 2000 years.

On another note, really liked seeing Judd Hirsch in this. Ive always liked this actor. He looks really well considering he is 80 in real life, and still acting too! Thought it was a nice twist to have him play Abe, Henry's adopted son, and thought their backstory was interesting.

Looking forward to see how this series plays out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping the twist is that 'Adam' isn't a bad guy and that they will work together to try to solve the mystery of their immortality.

It will be too much of a cliche if he is a bad guy and it will be too much like Highlander if he uses other immortal's immortality to recharge his immortality.
  • Options
    jette52jette52 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it and will continue to watch.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early viewing figures in the US are not that great. Sadly not as yet looking too hopeful it will make it to a renewal.

Adjusted to 8.79 million and a 1.7 rating - not unlike Under The Dome - but losing over 3 million from its DWTS (US Strictly) lead in, which itself is down.

Not yet a disaster but little room to drop further.

Starts on Sky next week.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems very similar to New Amsterdam to me.

In fact the more I think about it, it's almost a remake, with a few tweeks.
  • Options
    111roy111111roy111 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    ChrisE wrote: »
    It seems very similar to New Amsterdam to me.

In fact the more I think about it, it's almost a remake, with a few tweeks.

I was thinking the same.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    111roy111 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same.

It wasn't just me then.:D
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really liked it, got a feeling this adam bloke could be or should be played by mark pelligrino (Jacob from lost and jedikiha from the tomorrow people). Reckon he would suite the character down to the ground
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens to the body when he re-spawns?
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lardness wrote: »
    What happens to the body when he re-spawns?

The body disappears .
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The body disappears .

That would look very strange to those who witness it....
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only 5 episodes according to epguides and it looks like Sky will only be about a week behind anyway.

Just watched the pilot and really enjoyed it. Nice easy watch and certainly an intruiging premise. I'm also in the camp of those who check to see if a show is cancelled or not before committing, but since season one is only 5 episodes, i'll probably watch it either way.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like that Ioan is allowed to keep his accent as it makes him more relaxed as an actor. I was wondering about his name and wondered if he was also Captain Henry Morgan which would have been interesting. He was around late 17th century whereas we first encounter Henry in the 18th century I think.

I wish they had not included the Sherlock Holmes aspect. Just because he is a Brit and it is very popular at the moment.