Options

Sky Player

Hi i wanted to watch sky player on my xp desktop but it stutters a lot when playing and also buffers every five seconds. However on my vista laptop the streams work perfectly does anybody have any idea whats going on. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your XP laptop is probably underpowered, in need of more RAM I'd guess. Do you connect wirelessly on both?
  • Options
    81westley81westley Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    What channels can I watch on Sky Player without any Sky subscription?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    no my laptops are fine with sky player. Its my desktop which has the problem. Its an xp run desktop and whenever i access sky player on it the streamting stutters and buffers every five seconds which is really annoying :mad: also i've got silverlight installed and all the plugins needed for the player to work. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Look at the CPU usage with Windows Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del).

It's probably at 100% when it stutters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a problem. You are allowed 4 PC registered to use Sky player - 1 for Sky player appliation and another 3 for using sky sports online video live channels. However, I have used the same PC and when i change from say Sky Sports 1 top Sky Sports 2 it uses another license up even tho i am just flicking channels! why is this? i have inevitability used all my 4 licenses and because I already made a license change I cant make anymore for a month! Please help!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a problem. You are allowed 4 PC registered to use Sky player - 1 for Sky player appliation and another 3 for using sky sports online video live channels. However, I have used the same PC and when i change from say Sky Sports 1 top Sky Sports 2 it uses another license up even tho i am just flicking channels! why is this? i have inevitability used all my 4 licenses and because I already made a license change I cant make anymore for a month! Please help!

I've had that too, only use 1 PC but my router keeps disconnecting and changing my IP address so it thinks more PCs are trying to use my account. It's a crap system I'm gonna ring to complain I'll let you know what they tell me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I forgot to get back, phoned 'em and explained and they reset the account so I can watch again. Trouble is I can see same thing happening again pretty soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this problem is pretty much solved now. Everyone else think so?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    normally just Sky news can be watched with a basic Sky subscription, but until the middle of June the channels on any pack subscribed can be watched.
    Already a Sky customer?
    Between 13th April and 14th June Sky TV customers can enjoy Sky Player for free! With up to 30 live channels and a vast selection of TV on demand, Sky Player allows you to enjoy top shows when and where it suits you. It's a great way to get the most from your Sky TV subscription. To make the most of this fantastic offer register now or sign in with your Sky ID
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    Hi all,

My sodding council is putting up scaffolding so it looks like my Sky is stuffed for a while.

I have a couple of questions about the Sky Player.

1) Can I download shows (not films) onto my PC HD to watch later or offline?

You can with the BBC iplayer but not with the ITV one.
    I prefer to download as you don't get the buffering issues so much.

2) As a Sky subscriber is it free for me to watch the TV shows anytime or only for the first 7 days after broadcast?

I looked at the Sky Player webpages and got totally lost. I got that I need to download their player 10mb.
    Not sure about peer to peer stuff.

The Sky Player software makes use of a peer-2-peer technology, which means that your computer will automatically share programmes you've downloaded with other Sky Player users.

Isn't that the same as all these torrent sites that the media companies hate? I can understand peer to peer with Sky but other people that use Sky Player? Isn't that just file sharing of their material?

Any help you could give me in "Sky Player for Dummies" explanation would be gratefully recieved.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    Some of the programs on sky player are blocked if you are just a sky player subscriber especially on UK Gold.

Another problem I have had is downloaded programs also suffer from buffering which I don't understand as they are on my PC and not streaming.

I un-subscribed after the latest special offer 3 months for the price of 2 because of the buffering problem.

On the plus side when it worked it was ok and I got to see some programs that I wouldn't normally have been able to watch because I can't have a sky dish where I live.

The basic entertainment pack is best value I think as the full set of channels on sky player is a bit over priced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I am thinking of downloading Sky Player software on my laptop, and I was wondering what others are experiences with that product (I am a Sky subscriber); and also about there's something that I do not quite understand, and it says "The Sky Player Software uses secure peer-2-peer technology, which means that your computer will automatically share programmes you've downloaded with other Sky Player users. This is done by software called Kontiki (including KService and KHost) as part of the installation.."
    Can anyone explain what it means? Will my laptop be in any danger?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Sky Player works well on my laptop. On my Win 7 laptop it's a plugin service for Windows media player (meaning that I launch WMP to run it). Don't worry about Kontiki. The program's been around for a long time and is safe. It can obviously be configured for private system and I'm guessing that strong encryption stops it the Sky Player service being hacked. You'll soon hear about it if it does get hacked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Sky Player works well on my laptop. On my Win 7 laptop it's a plugin service for Windows media player (meaning that I launch WMP to run it). Don't worry about Kontiki. The program's been around for a long time and is safe. It can obviously be configured for private system and I'm guessing that strong encryption stops it the Sky Player service being hacked. You'll soon hear about it if it does get hacked.

Have you actually downloaded the software to view programs when offline?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I downloaded the software for my desktop PC when Sky Player first launched. But with Windows 7 Media Center (not player like I said) Sky Player is built in. Has always worked well. Don't like the fact that you need broadband or multiroom to watch all channels live if you're already a subscriber.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks, and is there a workaround the problem that skyplayer always forget which PC is registered. I am not as advanced as Windows 7, I am a XP user.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've not had that problem to be honest. I have a desktop, laptop (the master sky player unit) and xbox all registered. No problems with any of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then it must be the operating system
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It may be that I don't use enough on my computers to have come across the problem. I only watch Sky Player through my Xbox now because it's connected to my TV of course.