DS Fantasy Eurovision 68: Are you all-In? Take a gamble in Monte Carlo

dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello everyone, and welcome to the world famous Monte Carlo, Monaco. We have finally arrived in this incredible quarter due to the amazing Marina Kaye, and her song "Dancing with the Devil". I will be your dealer for this contest, lets have a good one.

This contest will consist of both picks for one of your countries, as well as teams for a second and third country. Of course these will both be optional, however if you do pursue both, you can take a gamble that may affect how you do...

The Rules

1. As its a pick contest, you need to PM me your sign-up with 5 countries you'd like to represent. Please rank these in order, with 1 being the country you'd like most. Country list is available here. (As usual, the countries from Rome's bonus round are not eligible, but Australia is). If you want random picks, I will also accommodate for that, you pick your country first.

2. As for team work, when you sign up, I also want you to send a list of 5 other players you'd like to play with. Same with the countries, please rank these 1-5. Even if there's only one player you want to work with, I need a full list, as I'll be using that info elsewhere.

If you are a new/newish player, and don't know people well enough to make a list, but still want to work as a team, just let me know, and I'll again accommodate trying to get a perfect partner for you. Aswell if you don't want to work as a team, just let me know, and you'll just get a single solo second country.

3. Twisto's Twist time. The final thing to include in your sign-up is if you want to take a gamble or not. Heres how the gamble will work. If you take the chance and say yes, you will be somewhat sacrificing your solo game, for your group game.

If you take the gamble you firstly will not get one of your picks (or if you chose random, you won't get a top tier country). You will instead get one of the lower tiered good country. You still get a good country, but maybe not the one you'd like. However in return, you ensure you definitely get the better second tier countries.

This may not sound appetising, whoever if both team members take the gamble, you get two good second tier countries, but you also will revert back and both will get one of your 5 picks. So your decision, is either gamble, and hope you are paired with a like minded player, or don't gamble, to ensure your own safety. Hopefully that makes sense.

Usual song rules apply, they are:
1. The song must be performed by an artist who was born in or lives in the country, or has ancestry from that country. Ancestry links are acceptable up to grandparents. No random great-great-great grandparents please. If the connection isn't obv then please include some proof of eligibility when you send.
2. The song cannot exceed 5 minutes in length.
3. The song cannot have been in the UK top 40 at the time you submit it. If it ends up in the top 40 at some point during this contest, then be aware some players will hate you.
4. Former Eurovision contestants are allowed, but cannot enter with the same song they performed in the contest, or at any national pre-selection.
5. The song must have been released after the year 2000.
6. Covers are allowed so long as the original obeys all the other rules. Usually around a third of the players will be angry you have sent a cover though.
7. No songs that have been entered into DSFE before. Please check the Wikia, exquisitely maintained by AxG, before you send your songs.

Sign-ups will close 6PM on Tuesday 28th, get your PM's in

Comments

• dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to make things easy aswell, your PM's should look something like this:
    Countries: (Just say if you want random)
    1 Georgia
    2 Slovakia
    3 Turkey
    4 Azerbaijan
    5 Libya

Players: (Say if you don't want team, or if your new and want me to put you in a peal)
    1 Dylan
    2 Dylan
    3 Dylan
    4 Dylan
    5 Dylan

Gamble: Yes (or no ofc)
  • ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    Ooh, this looks interesting. Definitely count me in! :D
  • mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this :) I've signed up
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats on winning, Dylan!

I'm personally just hoping that nobody sends anything which has ZERO eligibility like last time *cough* Turkey *cough*.

Or else I'm sending my favourite singers regardless of their nationality in protest x
  • GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    How this team thing works?
    Sounds fun :)
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Interesting format. :) Will start deciding what to do tonight.
  • PooleyPooley Posts: 5,062
    Forum Member
    Signed up - after last contests axe in the qfs (not happened since contest 6!!!) I am back with a vengeance - I will win haha
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will sign up later when I've decided who I want to work with
  • aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats on winning, Dylan!

I'm personally just hoping that nobody sends anything which has ZERO eligibility like last time *cough* Turkey *cough*.

Or else I'm sending my favourite singers regardless of their nationality in protest x

We seriously heard you the first time, now you're just starting to sound bitter, like I said, i made a call with the eligibility of the song based on other producers also being entered previously.

Congrats Dylan once again, i look forward to entering this contest!
  • March MorningsMarch Mornings Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be able to take part as I'm in Sweden from July 30th to August 7th. I'll be back for DSFE 69 though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come to think of it, I'll be gone from Monday afternoon to Friday afternoon of next week too, but I think that as long as it's only song-searching then, I'll be able to participate still as I will have wi-fi where I'm going and time enough to look for songs with my team
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an intense gamble! Exciting.
  • TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might just be stupid here but I don't think I fully understand these rules.

How do we get a third country?
    The gamble I don't really get especially the bit about what your other team members wants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just on lunch break, had a few people confused by the gamble, and reading it, it is a bit confusing. So here are what the results would be in each case:

Both players gamble - They each guarantee one of their top 5 choices, along with better team countries.
    One player gambles - The team countries will have one of the better worse countries.
    - Player who gambles - Will not get one of their top 5 choices, but still get a good country.
    - Player who doesn't gamble - Is in the normal draw for their top 5 countries.
    Neither player gambles - You'll be in the normal draw for their top 5 countries, but won't have any guarantee about the strength of their bad countries.

I dunno if I expect many people to gamble, so may not have any real effect. But I want this theme, so lets go...

I'll be back later so can properly go through pm's, and post who's joined and stuff like that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    I might just be stupid here but I don't think I fully understand these rules.

How do we get a third country?
    The gamble I don't really get especially the bit about what your other team members wants.

You get three countries if you are in a team, one for yourself, and two shared with your teammate. And hopefully post above explains the gamble a bit better...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now see the way i read this. It looks like there is no reason not to gamble. You get one of your top 5 countries plus good team countries.

It just wouldn't make any sense not to gamble surely?
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless you want to destroy your partner :kitty:
    Forum Member
    Now see the way i read this. It looks like there is no reason not to gamble. You get one of your top 5 countries plus good team countries.

And then not everyone can have good team countries? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'd have to put all your trust in a teammate you don't yet know who they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well destroying your partner would be pretty cruel lol.

And yes if everyone gambles like i see as being the only option, some won't get good team countries. But if you dont gamble your not going to anyway.

I've probably way over analysised this, but i am a bit sad like that haha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd have to put all your trust in a teammate you don't yet know who they are.

Yeah but why wouldn't your teammate gamble, there really isn't any reason for them not too. When if you both gamble you guarantee good countries.
  • nunaneynunaney Posts: 1,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone want to be in a team with me? I need all the help I can get. I'm tired of being stuck in the QFs.
    Forum Member
    nunaney wrote: »
    Does anyone want to be in a team with me? I need all the help I can get. I'm tired of being stuck in the QFs.

I would, but I'm in the same boat. :D
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aliyah101 wrote: »
    We seriously heard you the first time, now you're just starting to sound bitter, like I said, i made a call with the eligibility of the song based on other producers also being entered previously.

Oh please, what has it got to do with bitterness? It's more just that the rules should be complied to otherwise it would be a "Enter a song of your choice" contest as opposed to a Eurovision styled contest. I'm honestly not sure why I'm the only one really mentioning it because at the drop of a grandparent heritage connection all hell breaks loose usually! But one which has no form of eligibility whatsoever is flying under the radar. :confused:

I can't actually remember any other songs being allowed solely due to a producer, and especially songwriter (as you said last contest). From memory, the ones that I can remember have all been entered have usually ended up being disqualified or exchanged. But if you can find the ones that were allowed I would like to see, just to see who else is guilty. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but why wouldn't your teammate gamble, there really isn't any reason for them not too. When if you both gamble you guarantee good countries.

But I think many people wouldn't gamble just to ensure they get a country in their top 5. To be honest, I find the gambling thing very confusing and might need to rethink if I want to gamble or not. But yeah, there's no reason not to, unless you have doubt in your partner...