Options

Which do you prefer - country or city for short break?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    Short, long, or whatever, it would always be the country.

To be honest I can't understand why anyone would want a city.

All that concrete, crowds, and traffic would just drive me berserk.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like both.
    I suppose that's because I live in neither. I live by the seaside, so I'd never dream of a short break to another seaside place.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Lol, do you walk across the middle of farmers fields :D

:D:D:D There just seems to be poo everywhere. I maybe have just had bad experiences :eek: I just equate country holidays with bleak, rainy dull fields and the over riding smell of cow poo :eek:
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    I like both.
    I suppose that's because I live in neither. I live by the seaside, so I'd never dream of a short break to another seaside place.

Same for me. I love visiting a city though, especially London. When you go once in a blue moon, then it's great !
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Citys totally for me - London, Barcelona, Berlin and New York are favourites. Heading to Tokyo and Rome this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Citys totally for me - London, Barcelona, Berlin and New York are favourites. Heading to Tokyo and Rome this year.

I'd love to go to New York. Was hoping to go later on this year for my birthday but not sure we'll be able to afford it :(

Rome was great. Especially the Colosseum which was mind blowing. Apparently they are opening the area beneath the arena to tourists in March I think. This was where the gladiators waited to go in and where they kept the wild animals.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Definitely city - I like the noise and the fact there's always people out and about and it's easy to get around. Country is too quiet for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to go to New York. Was hoping to go later on this year for my birthday but not sure we'll be able to afford it :(

Rome was great. Especially the Colosseum which was mind blowing. Apparently they are opening the area beneath the arena to tourists in March I think. This was where the gladiators waited to go in and where they kept the wild animals.

You HAVE to go, it's like walking through a giant film set. If you're not overly fussed about where you stay - it is only a bed after all, and you spend hardly any time there - you can get flights and accomodation in a hostel through Expedia for around £500 per. person. Totally worth it :)

Very much looking forward to Rome!
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love a nice weekend break to just relax and stay in a hotel without leaving the room so not sure I have a preference but...I love beaches and think British people don't explore the UK enough so i'd choose a nice break along the coast . Wales , Scotland or Brighton would be nice.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    :D:D:D There just seems to be poo everywhere. I maybe have just had bad experiences :eek: I just equate country holidays with bleak, rainy dull fields and the over riding smell of cow poo :eek:

Oh well, you must have had a bad experience.

I equate country holidays to relaxing, peacefulness. Taking a drive out and finding a nice restaurant that serves fresh local produce. Amazing views, friendly people and nowhere else I'd rather be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Countyside for me all the time. I hate cities.

I'm a carvanner and love history so do the castles, old houses, museums and country estates..

I spend at least 3 months touring in the caravan.

I live 25 miles from my nearest city, is Carlisle a city:D, and haven't been there for over 2 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have a look at virgin atlantic site. Last year I got a £300 return to NYC in May when i booked 3 months early. NYC is great when you're not in the touristy areas. I did a central park tour it's truly beautiful and didn't realise how vast it is.

Also i went to Rome aswell last year and i definitely preferred Rome as there was more to do and see as a "tourist". Seeing the roman ruins and the tour of the Colosseum was beautiful. I definitely like to go again.
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love being near the sea and I love tacky. I tend to head for Blackpool, I know I will be seen as very uncool but I don't care!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SwanGirl wrote: »
    I love being near the sea and I love tacky. I tend to head for Blackpool, I know I will be seen as very uncool but I don't care!

Try Barcelona then - city and a beach, plus there is a lot of tack in places like La Rambla and Port Olimpic.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A cottage with mym good friend and his uncle monty, all made by mistake x
  • Options
    SwanGirlSwanGirl Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    Try Barcelona then - city and a beach, plus there is a lot of tack in places like La Rambla and Port Olimpic.

I wish I could! Been dying to go there for years, would love to visit the Nou Camp.
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was a mini-break with my friends then I'd go to the city.

If it was a mini-break with a man, I'd go to the country.
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in the countryside, close to the coast. I visit cities for day trips to see concerts, football matches etc but the thought of having a holiday in a city is my idea of hell. Visiting them for the day is fine. But staying there for any length of time?? No thanks. I don't like getting black bogies :o Done Barcelona recently. Stayed at a quiet place on the coast and went in for the day. Lovely, lovely city. But too noisy!
    During the summer we spend practically every day after work and at weekends at the beach, jet-skiing, windsurfing, surfing, or just chilling with a good book and a glass of wine or two. It makes it very difficult to take a holiday anywhere else!
    We're all different. And very lucky that, whatever our preferences, we are able to take holidays and make visits to other cities, here and abroad.
  • Options
    ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer city breaks.
    I think thats because i live in the country though and i just like to go to places where thing are open after 6pm once in a while.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like city breaks, as there's more to see and do during the day. What I dislike, particularly about London, is that it's just too busy at night.

I've never been on a country break, but I can see the attraction re peace & quiet.

Ideally, city during the day and country at night. :p