Options

Panasonic Upscaler

Hi,

Does anybody know of a Panasonic product that will upscale files using a memory stick to USB input?

Has to be Panasonic due to the HDMI inputs on my Panasonic Plasma being unfriendly to other makes.
The no audio 'handshake' problem.:mad:

PS Not made of money!

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do?, is it just play external video from an HDD or FlashDrive?, and does the TV not have a USB socket for doing that?.

If it's not got a USB socket, then you just need a MediaPlayer - there are many different types, from very cheap to very expensive.

If the Panasonic won't give sound, then get it repaired - there's obviously a design flaw if it won't play sound via HDMI (and it probably just needs a software update).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do?, is it just play external video from an HDD or FlashDrive?, and does the TV not have a USB socket for doing that?.

If it's not got a USB socket, then you just need a MediaPlayer - there are many different types, from very cheap to very expensive.

If the Panasonic won't give sound, then get it repaired - there's obviously a design flaw if it won't play sound via HDMI (and it probably just needs a software update).

Hi thx for the quick reply:)

I have one of those Sumvision Cyclone upscalers.
    When connected by HDMI there is no sound.
    Research has shown this to be a general fault with Panasonic Plasma TVs.
    Other makes such as Samsung, Philips and Sony also appear to have HDMI problems with Panasonic Plasmas.
    This has led me to accept only a Panasonic device will work.
    The TV software is up to date, according to the updater anyway.

Basically I want something to upscale video files via USB.
    I know some Blu-Rays upscale DVDs, but wonder if they also upscale media files.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi thx for the quick reply:)

I have one of those Sumvision Cyclone upscalers.
    When connected by HDMI there is no sound.
    Research has shown this to be a general fault with Panasonic Plasma TVs.

Have you approached Panasonic about it?

Other makes such as Samsung, Philips and Sony also appear to have HDMI problems with Panasonic Plasmas.
    This has led me to accept only a Panasonic device will work.
    The TV software is up to date, according to the updater anyway.

Basically I want something to upscale video files via USB.
    I know some Blu-Rays upscale DVDs, but wonder if they also upscale media files.

If they will play from USB they will upscale as well, but upscaling doesn't really mean much - your TV upscales anyway. Upscaling doesn't make SD in to HD, it just makes it fit the screen.

BluPay players usually have pretty good scalers, so you may see a slight improvement over the TV's own scaler - but it still won't be HD, or anywhere near it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you approached Panasonic about it?

Yep and no reply!:mad:

Am wondering if the problem is down to the Viera link.

There is a noticeable picture difference using the Cyclone with HDMI against RCA leads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep and no reply!:mad:

Am wondering if the problem is down to the Viera link.

Have you tried turning it off?, or tried using the other HDMI?.

There is a noticeable picture difference using the Cyclone with HDMI against RCA leads.

What sort of RCA (phono) connection?. Component ones (using FIVE) is just as good as HDMI, but Composite (using THREE - yellow, red, white) is the poorest possible method (apart from RF). Most small mediaplayers don't have Component, only HDMI and Composite.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, all the boot ups you can think of.
    It really is frustrating.
    What sort of RCA (phono) connection?.

Composite
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes, all the boot ups you can think of.
    It really is frustrating.
    What sort of RCA (phono) connection?.

Composite
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    That doesn't sound right at all,t he only issue i've ever heard of is with audio return channel, and that only applies to soundbars.

I use a panasonic and it takes hdmi inputs fine from bluray, dvd, a western digital wdtv, and a pc, i've thrown everything I've had at it, and it works.

I'm not sure why you are concerned with upscaling. Everything is upscaled before it hits an hdtv screen, it has to be remapped to fit the pixels, that is upscaling, it does not improve the picture quality, only avoids as many artifacts from the enlargement as it can, so either your player, or your reciever, or your tv can be used to upscale. When you open up a low resolution youtube video to full screen on your pc...that is upscaling. That is all it is.

From the looks of it that thing actually manages to degrade the image.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/streamers-network-media-players/1210764-sumvision-cyclone-mkv-enclosure-video-quality.html

Looking at how cheap that sumivision player is, I'd say that is the crux of your problem, you are trying to use some second rate device on your tv. Calling it an upscaler is well, funny to say the least. It could very well be passing unprocessed audio streams to your tv, which is fine if you had a receiver, but would make for a no sound problem.

Last of all it could simply be a faulty unit, these cheap slap together chinese units have no quality control.