Options

The Telegraph: Is Rebecca Ferguson the first credible star to come from reality TV?

124»

Comments

• Options
    titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    Well in 5 years I don't think she's seen to be known for having much of a body of work apart from one hit.

She may appear as an occasional guest on some Simon Cowell show and they'll roll out the metaphorical red carpet for her as if we're witnessing a major event, but the only music that pops into your head is that Bleeding Love song.

Leona won the x factor in 2006 now I remeber coming on here and people saying Leona is a one hit wonder she wont be around in 5 years etc etc. 5 years later Leona is still around and people are still saying in 5 years times etc etc.

Non of us know what is going to happen Adele is massive now, But in 5 years time people might not eveb remeber her name. And she may be sitting in the BB house so she can pay for her house.

People always hold up Will young like some holy grail in the reailty series world. why he has done alright but nothing out of this world on the music scene.

Anyway as to whats going to happen to Rebecca who knows but I bet she will have to pass the 5 year marker too.
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    Hope so. There hasn't been any performance this season half as good as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D66prcheraA

She certainly is a super-star. I hope she makes it good, I will most certainly be buying her album.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well in 5 years I don't think she's seen to be known for having much of a body of work apart from one hit.

She may appear as an occasional guest on some Simon Cowell show and they'll roll out the metaphorical red carpet for her as if we're witnessing a major event, but the only music that pops into your head is that Bleeding Love song.

Lol, Leona has had more than 1 hit, her 2nd album was double platinum in the UK, she had a very successful UK arena tour, has appeared in a lot of world wide shows, not to mention singing the closing song for Avator, I could go on, but I feel it would be a pointless exercise somehow. Of course Leona won't appeal to everyone, but I like to give credit where it is due regardless of artist. Good luck to Rebecca as well.
  • Options
    wandashirkwandashirk Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the link. What a star!
  • Options
    GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hermanazo wrote: »
    Hope so. There hasn't been any performance this season half as good as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D66prcheraA

My god I had forgotten how good that was.
  • Options
    wandashirkwandashirk Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    My god I had forgotten how good that was.

So had I. Thanks for the link.

And to think that was the week Matt topped the voting with 'Bleeding Love...' :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Leona Lewis has had 3 number one hits, 8 top ten hits, two number one albums and she has also had songs featured in three films: 'Avatar', 'Sex and the City 2' and 'For Coloured Girls'. And that's just in the UK. So I'd say she'd done extremely well over the past five years.

Xx..xX
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    As per my post above, credibility has little or nothing to do with acclaim or sales. The painter LS Lowry refused to display his work and kept most of it hidden. Was he acclaimed in his lifetime? No. Did he sell? Not really. Was he credible, in his lifetime? Unbelievably so, though he may have been the only person to know it.
    Awards then? Carrie Underwood has won a big gigantic boatload of them. Admittedly in a genre of music with about a billion award shows, but even removing all of the Country Music awards, she's still won a rather large number of mainstream awards.

What's vital here is that Carrie U., just as one example, is usually not discussed as a reality show contestant any longer, and I think is seen as having a career which will span decades. That seems to fit a reasonable definition of "credibility". A few others who have been pointed out already probably fit as well.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's vital here is that Carrie U., just as one example, is usually not discussed as a reality show contestant any longer, and I think is seen as having a career which will span decades. That seems to fit a reasonable definition of "credibility". A few others who have been pointed out already probably fit as well.

Such as Will?
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Gill P wrote: »
    Such as Will?

Agreed , Will Young's latest album topped the charts just recently.
  • Options
    Since YesterdaySince Yesterday Posts: 5,051
    Forum Member
    She's on BBC Breakfast next week. An interview and a live performance, too. But they didn't say which day.