Options

Poldark

Comments

• Options
    man_plebsman_plebs Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Its still better than 90% of the total tripe that infects our airwaves.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be getting old. When Ross carried (Hugh Bonneville lookylikey) the bloodied Francis indoors and went to lay him on his bed, my first thought was, nooooooo! not on the clean sheets! :D

:) I thought that too !
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lime Kiln wrote: »
    I don't think it's that good. The characters aren't likeable. Even Ross Poldark, the hunk, has been visiting the local prostitute. The lady viewers won't like that.

It's the books. It's preferable to taking advantage of Prudie or liveststock. Them were different times. We should beware of judging by today's values. I nearly said 'other livestock' which would have been funnier but unacceptable. :D:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's that good. The characters aren't likeable. Even Ross Poldark, the hunk, has been visiting the local prostitute. The lady viewers won't like that.

It's in the books. It's preferable to taking advantage of Prudie or liveststock. Them were different times. We should beware of judging by today's values. I nearly said 'other livestock' which would have been funnier but unacceptable. :D:blush:
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or just you was giving that:D

Of course :D
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    A syllabub is a desert made from milk or cream, sugar and wine.

Such a shame that so many are obviously hooked on slick USA TV programmes and can't appreciate a slower historical drama or what the story is really about - the traditions and class system in the 18th/19th century, the behaviour expected of young women, the poverty of working class people, the few upper class men who tried their best to provide a living for those in the villages they owned and the new rich who had worked their way up financially (like the Warleggans) who had no conscience (a bit like nowadays) got real power and wielded it over the upper classes who were becoming less and less rich because they stuck to their obligations and looked after their villagers and workers.

As for Verity being past it at 25, she would have been considered an old maid destined to remain a spinster. Marriages were arranged with daughters being married off in their late teens, the oldest first to someone who was considered to be able to support her regardless of what feelings she might have had about it. If they couldn't find anyone interested in the oldest daughter and the second oldest married, then the oldest would be expected to remain unmarried and look after her parents.

Being young, Demelza would receive no pay and just have a place to stay and be fed. She would be contracted to work for a year and her wages paid to her father.

Can't see the problem with it so far - it's historically accurate as regards facts even if the costumes and scenery obviously can't be authentic. I suspect the scenes of riding across the countryside are to emphasise to those who can't divorce themselves from the 21st century that places were far apart and they couldn't just jump in the car and get somewhere in 5 minutes.

I'm surprised that some of the male posters don't like it considering that it shows women doing as they were told and men doing what they liked and making all the decisions - a world that's lost to men nowadays.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    What this needs to liven it up is some good old fashioned Top Gear larks as they bodge up the engineering at the mine to get it working again. :D
  • Options
    IndegIndeg Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'You've only to taste her syllabubs'............... is that a euphemism? :D
    Syllabubs.
    Why should lady viewers like it any more or less than the men? In every version of this story, Ross Poldark is a flawed character. He isn't just a 'hero' or a 'hunk'. He's a complicated, damaged man capable both of great kindness and compassion and of tyranny and rage. He makes many mistakes. And that's as it should be - no one is all one thing, and therefore neither should fictional characters be.
    Janet43 wrote: »
    A syllabub is a desert made from milk or cream, sugar and wine.

Such a shame that so many are obviously hooked on slick USA TV programmes and can't appreciate a slower historical drama or what the story is really about - the traditions and class system in the 18th/19th century, the behaviour expected of young women, the poverty of working class people, the few upper class men who tried their best to provide a living for those in the villages they owned and the new rich who had worked their way up financially (like the Warleggans) who had no conscience (a bit like nowadays) got real power and wielded it over the upper classes who were becoming less and less rich because they stuck to their obligations and looked after their villagers and workers.

As for Verity being past it at 25, she would have been considered an old maid destined to remain a spinster. Marriages were arranged with daughters being married off in their late teens, the oldest first to someone who was considered to be able to support her regardless of what feelings she might have had about it. If they couldn't find anyone interested in the oldest daughter and the second oldest married, then the oldest would be expected to remain unmarried and look after her parents.

Being young, Demelza would receive no pay and just have a place to stay and be fed. She would be contracted to work for a year and her wages paid to her father.

Can't see the problem with it so far - it's historically accurate as regards facts even if the costumes and scenery obviously can't be authentic. I suspect the scenes of riding across the countryside are to emphasise to those who can't divorce themselves from the 21st century that places were far apart and they couldn't just jump in the car and get somewhere in 5 minutes.

I'm surprised that some of the male posters don't like it considering that it shows women doing as they were told and men doing what they liked and making all the decisions - a world that's lost to men nowadays.
    Hear hear!

Interesting to see so many people calling this slow - I thought episode two moved at a very brisk pace, skipping over a number of sub-plots I remember from the 1975 version and spending a lot less time getting to know the characters. This is a very slick, lean production.
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding Demelza completely charmless. She has none of the wit and vitality of AR's portrayal.

Warleggan is a caricature. He has none of Ralph Bates' intensity, he is just a cartoon figure.

Francis is just a weak fool. The original Francis had a vulnerability and a charm that made you like him despite all his obvious faults and weaknesses.

Verity is the best of them but her "me too" at the ball had me hopping mad. They didn't speak like that back then!

AT is doing his best as Ross but he lacks the authority that Robin Ellis brought to the role.

I am conscious that those of us who harp on about the original must be quite annoying to those who have not seen it nor have any wish to do so but quite honestly, shaky sets and dodgy camera work aside, it was far, far superior to this effort.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Demelza is very likeable {washing hair} - in this hugely enjoyable drama, two episodes in and I'm hooked.

"I belong here"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeg wrote: »
    Syllabubs.
    Interesting to see so many people calling this slow - I thought episode two moved at a very brisk pace, skipping over a number of sub-plots I remember from the 1975 version and spending a lot less time getting to know the characters. This is a very slick, lean production.
    I've read all the books and got the whole of the first series on DVD, including the dreadful ITV one.

It's wrong to compare the first series with this one. It should be comparing the books with this version, and in that it's doing a very good job - in fact better than the first series. It's the books that are providing the material for this series, not the previous production.

As for the claim that it's formulaic, anyone who says that obviously hasn't read even the first book, and this is covering the first two. How many other series are there about the economics of the Cornish mining industry and the lives of all of those involved in it? I don't know of any, so how can it be formulaic?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    What this needs to liven it up is some good old fashioned Top Gear larks as they bodge up the engineering at the mine to get it working again. :D
    You won't get Top Gear larks because their lives depended on things working properly and (spoiler alert!) they didn't always. If you want larks a serious historical drama isn't what you should be watching.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    If I want a serious historical drama this ain't it either. It is a lightweight piece of Sunday evening fluff that needs to up its pace to avoid the accusation of being called dull.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

I am conscious that those of us who harp on about the original must be quite annoying to those who have not seen it nor have any wish to do so but quite honestly, shaky sets and dodgy camera work aside, it was far, far superior to this effort.

Rose tinted glasses and nostalgia at play here. This new adaptation is far superior on the evidence of the first two episodes.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    It's wrong to compare the first series with this one. It should be comparing the books with this version, and in that it's doing a very good job - in fact better than the first series. It's the books that are providing the material for this series, not the previous production.
    LOL. How dare you not pay homage to the perfect 1970s version!! The grass was greener, the sky bluer, the acting just devine...

I didn't know about the potential for tin mines to become copper mines (assuming it's accurate). That is obviously going to be the way forward here.

Very complicated world back in the day - Lords offing themselves when loans are called in, ladies in the company of the wrong sorts, pistols drawn over silly handbags,

For anyone surprised at the scale of prostitition in the 18th century ... I don't really know what to say. Maybe 'bless' :). You should check out the commuter trade in your local town, you might be a little surprised.

Overall I find it both predictable and cliched (the bankers for goodness sake!), and also quite fun and occasionally interesting. It's just a Sunday night romp on BBC 1. Sort of swash and buckle but down a mine.
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Verity and the Sea Captain's plot a bit strange this week - it was all way too rushed and I couldn't get behind it as a romance to root for. They talked for 5 minutes about rigging and apparently were in love!

I wouldn't trust him either after that long and would have serious doubts about a man who killed his wife, without knowing him better. So I can't really blame the father and brother getting in a tizz about it even though its evident they just want her at home waiting on them hand and foot.

Francis really is a prat isn't he.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Rose tinted glasses and nostalgia at play here. This new adaptation is far superior on the evidence of the first two episodes.

Not at all. I have recently re-watched the dvds and so there is nothing nostalgic about it. I have merely compared both versions and in my humble opinion the original version is the far superior one.

Feel free to disagree, that's what forums are for.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    kat180 wrote: »
    I found Verity and the Sea Captain's plot a bit strange this week - it was all way too rushed and I couldn't get behind it as a romance to root for. They talked for 5 minutes about rigging and apparently were in love!
    I did think that. But they also both know the score - his reputation is blown, his wife is dead and, as an older man, he needs a wife. She's pretty well accepted a life on the shelf and effectively being a servant for her father.

They both know there's a deal here, if they can work with each other.

I like Ross Poldark as a kind of 18th century Tinder.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree. Done properly, the Poldark saga is much more than a bit of fluff for Sunday night. I fear this production is catering to that audience, though. It's very true to the books in some ways, and very different in others.

George is too lightweight, Francis too dopey (I loved Francis in the books, and felt desperately sorry for him being saddled with the Bitch.) Demelza is too unlike Demelza.

Ross is absolutely spot on. I'm not sure if that's bias, but I don't think so. Aidan/Aiden is a very good actor and he's doing well portraying the complex personality of Ross.

I must have enjoyed last night's episode, as I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't even think about the naked swimming scene. (That bit was true to the book. After sleeping with Margaret he goes to the beach and strips off for a swim. Demelza doesn't watch, though. At that point she's only 13).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    That was Robin Ellis as a judge in the trailer for next week wasn't it? I don't know why, but I thought he was playing a Reverend in this new series.

He's the Reverend Halse, but he's also a magistrate.
    No love lost between him and Ross!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read all the books and got the whole of the first series on DVD, including the dreadful ITV one.

As for the claim that it's formulaic, anyone who says that obviously hasn't read even the first book, and this is covering the first two. How many other series are there about the economics of the Cornish mining industry and the lives of all of those involved in it? I don't know of any, so how can it be formulaic?[/QUOTE

Exactly. I agree and even though I adored the original version, I don't see why there can't bea place for both. I think also that the poster who used the word "formulaic" just liked using the word to sound clever, which was somewhat "formulaic" of him or her.
  • Options
    GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross does come across to me as the most convincing of the characters, but since I've not read the books or seen previous adaptations then I've got nothing to compare them too. Warren Clarke's acting is as faultless as it ever was, but the impact of it is reduced a lot by the way his dreadful wig constantly tries to upstage him.

I am enjoying this though, for now at least, otherwise I wouldn't keep watching. I'd also forgotten about the naked swimming scene that was supposed to be forthcoming, so I must have been quite engrossed in the story too. It's as well that I didn't get too excited about it - it was filmed from so far away that it could have featured the dark-haired male farmhand for all we knew. Or even Prudie, for that matter :D
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Agree. Done properly, the Poldark saga is much more than a bit of fluff for Sunday night. I fear this production is catering to that audience, though. It's very true to the books in some ways, and very different in others.

George is too lightweight, Francis too dopey (I loved Francis in the books, and felt desperately sorry for him being saddled with the Bitch.) Demelza is too unlike Demelza.

Ross is absolutely spot on. I'm not sure if that's bias, but I don't think so. Aidan/Aiden is a very good actor and he's doing well portraying the complex personality of Ross.

I think Ross, Verity and surprisingly Jud and Prudy are pretty spot on. The rest I'm still warming to.

Francis was always a particular favourite of mine. He's a wastrel -gambling too much and a bit of a dreamer but he's also very charming and kind
    (later he's one of the few who are nice to Demelza when others are rude)
    yet in this he's too... wet somehow. George is another whose charm is missing at the moment. a bit of a one note baddie.

Demelza is OK, she looks a little polished and too old to be a young woman in her circumstances but I understand why they made that choice. I don't think we've seen enough of her yet to really judge her. And Elizabeth is fine because you're not meant to really like her anyway. I actually think her portrayal is pretty good especially considering that it's not an especially sympathetic character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I must have enjoyed last night's episode, as I was so engrossed in the story that I didn't even think about the naked swimming scene. (That bit was true to the book. After sleeping with Margaret he goes to the beach and strips off for a swim. Demelza doesn't watch, though. At that point she's only 13).

I totally agree about George, Francis and Demelza. I am not as enamoured of Ross as you but do think that the actor is the best of them in his role.

I am intrigued as to what Jinny Carter, Mark Daniel, Dwight Enys and Keren Daniel will be like. I was always struck by the sadness of Mark's story.

The naked swimming scene was fine, but I would hate the current obsession with actors showing off their buff bodies to take precedence over the storylines.

Jud and Prudie I find grating, where is the humour gone? And Demelza's deportment is shocking. But on the plus side, Garrick is lovely :):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am intrigued as to what Jinny Carter, Mark Daniel, Dwight Enys and Keren Daniel will be like. I was always struck by the sadness of Mark's story.

Jud and Prudie I find grating, where is the humour gone? :):D

I'm dying to see the lovely Dwight. I don't know which actor is playing him - don't tell me, I want it to be a surprise. :D

Re Jud and Prudie - they made me laugh out loud when I read the books. It's as if the writer of the TV adaptation failed to see them as funny, or at least failed to convey the humour of their banter. A sad waste of Phil and Beattie, imo.