Options

The Two Ronnies Fan Thread

Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This thread is for true blue fans of this comedy duo, It is for fans to discuss their favourite series, and sketches, of the show which ran from April 1971 to December 1987.

My favourite series is Series 5, this contained 'Fork Handles' 'The Phantom Raspberry Blower' and the Char - women singing with the orchestra, BUT that's just the start. It probably has the highest number of great sketches like, 'Dr Death' 'Rhyming Train Journey' ' Mixed up drinks' 'cockney rhyming church service' and 'nuts m'lord'. I think this series was the Ronnies at their peak of creativity. But what are your favourite series and sketches? post away.:)

Comments

• Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simply cant beat your choice Ben.

"Fork Handles" has to be amongst the "classic" sketches of British comedy....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Simply cant beat your choice Ben.

"Fork Handles" has to be amongst the "classic" sketches of British comedy....

Thanks, as much as I love 'Fork Handles' i don't think it's my fave, I like the Mastermind, and crossed lines ones better,AND have you seen the Dr Death one? it's perfection. Ronnie C goes to RB as the doctor only to find that everything he comes into contact with dies :p 'Now what do you enjoy...and how often?' ' A slight slip of the scalpel ' classic:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the musical skits too, don't care how dated they are. My faves are;

The Circus Tumblers- 'See the big parade hip,hip, hip hooray, some turns wer'e afraid can't be here today, Bert List contortionist got knotted and retired, and Roderick Ball, the cannon ball got fired'

The Fox Hunters- 'Hooray, hooray for meadows in may, up in astride and we're well away, and give us a filly that won't say nay, i hope I can stay the course':D

The church choir 'Are organist is Mr Keys a man of many troubles, there's water in his pipes and he's forever blowing bubbles, his bellows they are real antiques, his pump is full of squirts and squeaks, he sits among the peas and leaks, hurrah the harvest':D
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved it. The two Ronnies and Barbara Dickson lol:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Loved it. The two Ronnies and Barbara Dickson lol:D

haha yes Barbara Dickson and Elaine Paige were the regular singer on the show in the 1980s :D Dickson was lovely she was my fave, much better voice than Paige imo!
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the crossed lines sketch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Loved the crossed lines sketch.

you have taste mate. RB 'I bet he bites people doesn't he?' RC 'and coxes pippins' :D
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haha yes Barbara Dickson and Elaine Paige were the regular singer on the show in the 1980s :D Dickson was lovely she was my fave, much better voice than Paige imo!

I agree Barbara much better singer. Brilliant show.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I love the musical skits too, don't care how dated they are. My faves are;

The Circus Tumblers- 'See the big parade hip,hip, hip hooray, some turns wer'e afraid can't be here today, Bert List contortionist got knotted and retired, and Roderick Ball, the cannon ball got fired'

The Fox Hunters- 'Hooray, hooray for meadows in may, up in astride and we're well away, and give us a filly that won't say nay, i hope I can stay the course':D

The church choir 'Are organist is Mr Keys a man of many troubles, there's water in his pipes and he's forever blowing bubbles, his bellows they are real antiques, his pump is full of squirts and squeaks, he sits among the peas and leaks, hurrah the harvest':D

The Aldershot Brass Ensemble - 'As soon as we both finish 'ere, why don't we have a meal round a Chinese? Or else I should go off me nut. Cause me stomach thinks me throat's been cut' :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best serials they did were The Phantom Raspberry Blower and Stop you're killing me, with piggy Malone and Charley Farley 'it's big and it's black and I be afraid of it' :D

But most of the serials were mediocre imo. the last serial 'Band of Slaves' from 1981 was the worst, just terrible. I prefer the short films they did in the 80s like 'The Admirable Brighton' and 'The teddy bear who knew too much' which was a parody of Agatha Christie. I also loved 'The Village Smith' where Ronnie C plays a man stitched up by his secretary in a remote village where Ronnie B plays all the parts lol
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Which one was it were they play detectives?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which one was it were they play detectives?

That was piggy malone and Charley Farley,they were in about four or five of the serials. The last one 'Band of Slaves was the worst.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    The Aldershot Brass Ensemble - 'As soon as we both finish 'ere, why don't we have a meal round a Chinese? Or else I should go off me nut. Cause me stomach thinks me throat's been cut' :D

yes that was great. How about the Japanese theatre company? 'In the Kamikazee theatre it's classical Japenese RB I play gods and mountains RC I play hillocks and Bonzai trees' :D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought occasionally some of the sketches over time became a bit samey, but it was never enough to make me turn off. A long lost art it is to make family sketch comedy and Messrs Corbett and Barker were at the top, a dominating force for so many years.

Aside from the classics I do remember a sketch based around Squash -or Squish I think Ronnie B called it-after thrashing Ronnie C despite wearing a suit and seemingly not knowing anything about it. That made me laugh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    I thought occasionally some of the sketches over time became a bit samey, but it was never enough to make me turn off. A long lost art it is to make family sketch comedy and Messrs Corbett and Barker were at the top, a dominating force for so many years.

Aside from the classics I do remember a sketch based around Squash -or Squish I think Ronnie B called it-after thrashing Ronnie C despite wearing a suit and seemingly not knowing anything about it. That made me laugh.

I agree that some elements got samey, especially Ronnie B's spokesperson monologues, which I find tedious, but when you look at the shows now they are still very satisfying. Yes a bit sexist, and probably seen as racist too. However they parodied EVERYONE including their own nationalities, so I don't see them as racist. I will always see them as two old friends, who I have loved since childhood.:)
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    F U N E X?

S V F X

F U N E M N X?

....snip...

SILLY COW

:D
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that some elements got samey, especially Ronnie B's spokesperson monologues, which I find tedious, but when you look at the shows now they are still very satisfying. Yes a bit sexist, and probably seen as racist too. However they parodied EVERYONE including their own nationalities, so I don't see them as racist. I will always see them as two old friends, who I have loved since childhood.:)

I grew up in Chipping Norton (this was in the days before the media got obsessed with naming a mythical 'set' after the town - most of the names in this so-called 'set' don't live anywhere near the town, but that's another issue!) so saw Ronnie B around town a lot when he retired to help Joy with her shop. The first time I saw him in real life (having always thought of him as 'the tall one' on tv) I was amazed at how short he was, relatively speaking!

But a more quiet and unassuming man you'd be hard pressed to meet - nothing 'starry' about him at all. He kept himself to himself, walked and shopped around the town and no one bothered him who lived there. My grandfather was the town's butcher, and we used to joke he was more like Arkwright than Arkwright was! When The Sun did their 'sting' on him he gave me a 'thank you for your support' note and an autographed photo, which I've got tucked away in my box of 'things from my childhood days'.

We'd always watched the Two Ronnies when I was growing up, and as other posters have said, so many funny sketches and songs which still hold up now.

I watched their edition of 'The Interviews' on Gold when it was on recently - when it got to Ronnie B's untimely death I had a tear in my eye because he was a loss to comedy in this country. :(
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    F U N E X?

S V F X

F U N E M N X?

....snip...

SILLY COW

Possible inspiration for the Not the Nine o Clock News "Swedish Chemist Shop" sketch? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in Chipping Norton (this was in the days before the media got obsessed with naming a mythical 'set' after the town - most of the names in this so-called 'set' don't live anywhere near the town, but that's another issue!) so saw Ronnie B around town a lot when he retired to help Joy with her shop. The first time I saw him in real life (having always thought of him as 'the tall one' on tv) I was amazed at how short he was, relatively speaking!

But a more quiet and unassuming man you'd be hard pressed to meet - nothing 'starry' about him at all. He kept himself to himself, walked and shopped around the town and no one bothered him who lived there. My grandfather was the town's butcher, and we used to joke he was more like Arkwright than Arkwright was! When The Sun did their 'sting' on him he gave me a 'thank you for your support' note and an autographed photo, which I've got tucked away in my box of 'things from my childhood days'.

We'd always watched the Two Ronnies when I was growing up, and as other posters have said, so many funny sketches and songs which still hold up now.

I watched their edition of 'The Interviews' on Gold when it was on recently - when it got to Ronnie B's untimely death I had a tear in my eye because he was a loss to comedy in this country. :(

What a lovely post. Thanks for sharing :) I agree that they like many comedians and comic actors of that time had a likable quality that endeared them to audiences. Not only that but they appealed across the board to a wider demographic than today's 'funny people' from 7 to 70 year olds. Today most comedians have to be edgy or smug, and many are just egomaniacs who think they are more funny than they really are, ( Russell Brand, and Noel Fielding cough, cough) I cannot see any of todays comics being loved in 30 years time. Can you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only comic performers today who I really admire are Reece Sheersmith and Steve Pemberton they have true vision and genius. BUT even they are not as popular as they should be.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only comic performers today who I really admire are Reece Sheersmith and Steve Pemberton they have true vision and genius. BUT even they are not as popular as they should be.

Wonder who Ronnie C rates?
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    That was piggy malone and Charley Farley,they were in about four or five of the serials. The last one 'Band of Slaves was the worst.

Na it wasent that one. I remember one when I was younger where they stood next to a wooden fence that looked like a farm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Na it wasent that one. I remember one when I was younger where they stood next to a wooden fence that looked like a farm.

Wasn't The Worm that turned was it? although they weren't detectives in that.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ill have a Gin an Tonic, and a Pair of Pink Boobs.

Loved the Round of Drinks sketch.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wasn't those 2 country bumpkins/tramps was it? Those quickie sketches shot on OB Videotape, while the rest of the show was Studio VT or filmed on location.