Options

Is Konnie too middle class for 'The Xtra-Factor'!!!?

Peter EPeter E Posts: 7,746
Forum Member
I don't want to turn this into a bash Konnie thread because I like I her but I get the impression she's far too highly-educated (she's a public school girl and Oxbridge economics graduates) / twee / prim-and-proper/ middle class for a light-entertainment programme like 'The Xtra-Factor'. Anyone agree?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Middle, working and lower class people all go to public schools as far as I knew???
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So highly-educated middle class people aren't allowed to present popular reality TV shows??? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I LOVE Konnie. Think she does a wonderful job at presenting :)

Why does X Factor snap up the good presenters and leave BB with dross like George Lamb? :D
  • Options
    MakinItHappenMakinItHappen Posts: 1,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    So highly-educated middle class people aren't allowed to present popular reality TV shows??? :rolleyes:

I don't get the opening posts comments.

She says "light entertainment" as if to imply Konnie either isn't vibrant and fun like Mr Dermot O'leary?

Or doesn't put enough humor in to when she presents.. like Mr Dermot O'leary?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    JaggedcatJaggedcat Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Konnie running carrying the Olympic flame and some nutter jumping her and trying to grab the flame from her. She bravely stood her ground undeterred by the psycho. So total respect for the young woman.
  • Options
    JaggedcatJaggedcat Posts: 3,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    027huds wrote: »
    I LOVE Konnie. Think she does a wonderful job at presenting :)

Why does X Factor snap up the good presenters and leave BB with dross like George Lamb? :D

Now, now then George Lamb is oh so beautiful.:D
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Not necessarily too middle-class, but certainly too supercilious and patronizing, and lacking in warmth and genuineness. I never really understood all the praise heaped on yer man Dermot but, compared with Konnie, he comes across as far more warm and genuine, even if I don't share his preferences in XF and BB contestants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is fantastic. I have found the Xtra Factor to be incredibly entertaining this year, even moreso than the show itself. I couldn't stand it in previous years, especially last year.

It's like the Xtra Factor this year is everything that it wanted to be last year. Finally they've got it right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Konnie has made the Xtra Factor watchable.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not actually seen Xtra Factor this year but I'd rather someone like Konnie than the other year when we had Ferne 'yeah I'm like down with the kids' Cotton
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    I think Konnie's great ....and for those who think she's supercilious and not warm ..watch her working with Matt in the Australian animals video ...she's great and will give the lad a world of confidence
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    lulu g wrote: »
    Not necessarily too middle-class, but certainly too supercilious and patronizing, and lacking in warmth and genuineness. I never really understood all the praise heaped on yer man Dermot but, compared with Konnie, he comes across as far more warm and genuine, even if I don't share his preferences in XF and BB contestants.

I'm with you Lulu.

Everything I've seen her on I just can't like her and she's not remotely funny either.
  • Options
    pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's not a bad presenter, quite a dry wit (previously, when she presented Blue Peter, i did think she was boring TBH) although I'd question what she sees in Charlie Brooker!
  • Options
    Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Konnie but I watched the first few shows just cant warm to it I find it boring.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pxd867 wrote: »
    She's not a bad presenter, quite a dry wit (previously, when she presented Blue Peter, i did think she was boring TBH) although I'd question what she sees in Charlie Brooker!

She's not a bad presenter but I fear that she has destroyed Charlie's career as he no longer seems to have the same passion or anger about things :(

Lets be honest- she could do a lot better than the Xtra Factor and I miss Holly :o
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just seems to be copying what Holly did last year, but poorly.

I find her very patronising, whilst Holly would take the piss out of contestants, she would properly join in with them and at least make a fool of herself as well. Konnie has far too many looks to the camera laughing at some poor sod who she's just got to make a fool of themselves.

Holly made Xtra Factor funny, Konnie makes it uncomfortable viewing imo.
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    It will be the live shows where Konnie shows her true potential and shines. That girl thrives on live tv.
  • Options
    nick1austinnick1austin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I quite like the way Konnie interviews contestants, the conversation seems to flow naturally and not at all forced. Unfortunately when talking to the judges she puts on a very off-putting dewy-eyed puppy-dog expression that just makes her appear to be desperate fame-hungry wannabe.

As for Charlie Brooker it seems to be a natural career progession for a satarist-critic to turn themselves into an establishment luvvie. Both David Frost and Clive James have been then, done that. Also he has been taking on a lot more work; This year in addition to his usual BBC/Channel 4/Guardian projects he also working on a new TV project (he used twitter to ask for participants) and has co-writen a stage play.
  • Options
    Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think she is both too old and too experienced to be doing this sweep-up show. how charlie brooker can stand it..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know which class she considers herself but she is too irritating for TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I agree that Konnie is much better than Fearne Cotton. Holly was great. Ben Shephard was a bore. Better to assess Konnie a bit later on.
  • Options
    bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If middle class means 'boring, adds nothing and fades into the background' then yes Konnie is too middle class!
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Cjarlie Brooker and Konnie Huq? :eek: What was he thinking?
  • Options
    GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been a fan of Konnie Huq.

I agree with others who have said that she's a bit patronising and also I don't think there is much warmth in her.

I felt Holly empathised a lot more with the contestants.

Think Konnie's just a bit too serious
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not keen on her..but it has nothing to do with class. She's just quite bland.

To me she's a good co-presenter.....but doesn't have the charisma to host a show by herself.