why the horrible song choice for Matt about abuse

fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
Forum Member
✭✭✭
not very christmassy and possibly quite upsetting to many people who have experienced abuse in a relationship.

im surprised that syco chose this for the winner and surprised Matt agreed to sing it.

I'll take a bruise I know youre worth it
When You hit me, Hit me hard

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Because it's 'edgy' and 'credible'...:rolleyes:

And because he abuses my ears with his singing ;)
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    It's only about abuse if you choose to interpret it that way.

Personally, I don't interpret it that way so it's not a problem. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    not very christmassy and possibly quite upsetting to many people who have experienced abuse in a relationship.

im surprised that syco chose this for the winner and surprised Matt agreed to sing it.

I'll take a bruise I know youre worth it
    When You hit me, Hit me hard

you're taking the lyrics too literally .... it's not about physically colliding .. it's like thinking Killing Me Softly's about murdering someone gently
  • rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Maybe you should stick to High School Musical and Teen Bop because you obviously can't handle R E A L music.

Joke; it's a try-hard lyrical attempt at edginess.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just thought that the song was about Emotional pain not physical pain.
  • Candy StoreCandy Store Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    The song is about a physically abused person.

The line "got Gilligan's eye" refers to the abused not being able to see the bad in the abuser.
  • RupertPupkinRupertPupkin Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because rumour has it that he has form for beating up and robbing prostitutes. The rumours may not be true but as any news is good news, they want to keep it alive, hence the song choice.
  • LMAOLMAO Posts: 3,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mad World, Another Brick in the Wall, We Can fix it, Sound of the Underground, are all Christmassy??

#1 is the record that sold most that week, don`t recall there ever being a rule it had to be about Christmas. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The line "got Gilligan's eye" refers to the abused not being able to see the bad in the abuser.

Seeing as Simon Neil wrote it about his relationship with his wife/family .. are you implying that he physically abused his wife/family member or vice versa :rolleyes:

in his own words about the album and the Many of Horror song

"the whole record is kind of a bit about my whole relationship with my wife and family and this song opitimimises that more than any other..."

guess one of them needs to be reported to he police if there's actual physical abuse involved

Edit .. Simon explains the meaning behind the song here .. no mention of actual physical abuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc-JCy8bkN4&feature=related
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Noooo it's not about abuse, it's about two people who have just started living together and are having to share a really small flat. It's so small, in fact, that they keep bumping in to each other, but the narrator knows its worth it as the only other option would be for them to live in separate flats which are quite far apart.

They also share a love of horror films and have been able to watch quite a lot of them since moving in together (that's where the "many of horror" bit comes in).

All makes perfect sense imo.
  • BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    Seeing as Simon Neil wrote it about his relationship with his wife/family .. are you implying that he physically abused his wife/family member or vice versa :rolleyes:

Has he elaborated on his relationship with his wife and family? If he has, I've missed it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he elaborated on his relationship with his wife and family? If he has, I've missed it.

just what he says in he video I posted .. but if you think his relationship with his wife includes physical abuse then I guess that's up to you if you're implying that we don't know if their relationship was physically abusive or not

it just seems some people are going to great depth to put a nasty slant on every little thing Matt says or does .. even down to the lyrics of a song he didn't even write
    Forum Member
    It doesn't seem a very festive choice for Cardle to make though. Why didn't he choose something more uplifting.

'Mistletoe and Wine' is a favourite of mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't seem a very festive choice for Cardle to make though. Why didn't he choose something more uplifting.

Did you complain about Hallelujah not being uplifting?
    Forum Member
    Selena wrote: »
    Did you complain about Hallelujah not being uplifting?

No, but it was whimsical and, like so many lovely carols, struck a plaintive, plangent tone that wasn't out of keeping for this Yuletide season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I agree about Biffy Clyro not being a very nice song choice. It doesn't have much of a christmas theme and doesn't suit an XFactor contestant. Don't be fooled I love the song but I certainly don't like the fact that Matt absolutely murdered it!
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »

in his own words about the album and the Many of Horror song

"the whole record is kind of a bit about my whole relationship with my wife and family and this song opitimimises that more than any other..."

guess one of them needs to be reported to he police if there's actual physical abuse involved

Edit .. Simon explains the meaning behind the song here .. no mention of actual physical abuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc-JCy8bkN4&feature=related

This. It's metaphorical. Metaphor isn't too fancy for X Factor.

edit because I missed the point: I don't know why it isn't happy. The melody is whimsical and reminiscent of Mad World , though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not meant to have a Christmas theme though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True :(
  • littlemolittlemo Posts: 678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't you say in a previous thread "for the millionth time, Cardle didn't choose it, Simon did!"

Perhaps we should ask Simon about the song choice then! :D
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And why does that have to only apply to physical abuse?
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Gilligans eye is an american saying, meaning viewing things through innocent eyes. The song has nothing to do with actual physical abuse.
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

there hasn't been an uplifting X Factor song. They are either slightly meloncholy like this one and hallelujah or they are cheesy crapness with no meaning at all.
  • mamamiamamamia Posts: 2,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well as people keep pointing out Matt did not write it ,it is not his song so blame the silly idiots that wrote it.
    Forum Member
    mamamia wrote: »
    Well as people keep pointing out Matt did not write it ,it is not his song so blame the silly idiots that wrote it.

But according to his fans he chose it himself!