the scale of Cars

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
Forum Member
✭✭
having just watch Cars, something struck me as odd

The sheer scale and size was not expressed well in the film, alot of the buildings looked ordinary size from the outside, but when you think about the race track, and how big it would be to fit the parking space for what looked like thousands of cars, as well as a way for the cars to get to those seats. It must have been massive.

Comments

• rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    It's a fictional town filled with talking cars, what did you expect? :p
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    It's a fictional town filled with talking cars, what did you expect? :p
    the race track was in LA, which isnt fictional ;)
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its for kids why are you watching it?
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Film-makers play fast and loose with scale all the time. Take the original King Kong for example.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its for kids why are you watching it?

Its not solely for children, its a family film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    having just watch Cars, something struck me as odd

The sheer scale and size was not expressed well in the film, alot of the buildings looked ordinary size from the outside, but when you think about the race track, and how big it would be to fit the parking space for what looked like thousands of cars, as well as a way for the cars to get to those seats. It must have been massive.

Stop thinking so much...
    Forum Member
    Its not solely for children, its a family film.
    It certainly wasn't aimed at motor-racing fans. Apart from a simplistic explanation of the Scandinavian Flick that is - don't try that out there folks.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good film. I'm 23 and watched this at the cinema when it was out. :)

Don't take it too seriously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    talking of racing, what is with that Pace Car they had, which seemed to slow the race down, whilst McQueen had his pit stop?
  • DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I saw Cars years ago. It's a fairly average flick apart from the 'Freebird' joke.
    Forum Member
    In Nascar they always throw a caution at the slightest excuse. Perhaps it was to get a sweety wrapper carelessly thrown on the track. :D
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It certainly wasn't aimed at motor-racing fans.

No, that's what Grand Prix and Driven were for.

:p
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    its an animated film for kids about 8, realism goes out the window for that age group.
    Forum Member
    I actually thought it dragged an awful lot in the middle and was about 30 minutes too long for that age group.
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and how big it would be to fit the parking space for what looked like thousands of cars,
    but the 'cars' were in the stadium watching the race, so no parking required !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but the 'cars' were in the stadium watching the race, so no parking required !
    of course parking was needed, the stadium was the parking, only all the cars had to face the track.

The Texas Motoway Speed Way holds 191,122 people (with a track of 1.5 miles), how big would it need to be, if each one of those people was a car?

however you are right, you would not need additonal parking, still getting out at the end of the race, total nightmare, to ask nothing of how the cars get up to the upper levels.
    Forum Member
    Just think, multi-storey car park writ a little bit larger with the levels as tiered slopes.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    however you are right, you would not need additonal parking, still getting out at the end of the race, total nightmare, to ask nothing of how the cars get up to the upper levels.

Aye, and imagine the structural loading if each car was on average 1600Kg, and the complexity of working out the fire regs issues with that much petrol, effectively in storage on site for the duration of the race, plus the safety issues for any spilt fluids onto the ramp surfaces FERCRISSAKES ITS A CARTOON FILM ABOUT CARS, who care about how the access ramps worked?
    Forum Member
    I will stop worrying about old style tractors being so inherently unstable then. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Aye, and imagine the structural loading if each car was on average 1600Kg, and the complexity of working out the fire regs issues with that much petrol, effectively in storage on site for the duration of the race, plus the safety issues for any spilt fluids onto the ramp surfaces
    that is a good point, I had not thought of that ;)
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars is probably Pixar's worst film, though 'poor' by their standards is still pretty amazing! I'm thinking Cars 2, out next year, is partly their way of making up for the mistakes they made with the first.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I'm a massive Pixar fans, Most of their films are brilliant. Cars is probably one of their less popular ones but the design and art style is beautiful, mostly of the buildings and backgrounds. That's why I'm slightly worried about Cars 2, as they seem to have ditched the setting which was one of the best parts of the first film.
  • KasphlamKasphlam Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexsutton wrote: »
    I'm a massive Pixar fans, Most of their films are brilliant. Cars is probably one of their less popular ones but the design and art style is beautiful, mostly of the buildings and backgrounds. That's why I'm slightly worried about Cars 2, as they seem to have ditched the setting which was one of the best parts of the first film.
    They've ditched the setting? The setting is stunning, definitely my favourite thing about the film anyway.