Options

Man who hates British soldiers on facebook, is found guilty in trial

Comments

• Options
    citizenx103citizenx103 Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    These days it seems anyone who is offended by any viewpoint can call it a 'hate crime' and the police will gladly launch a full investigation.

I hate idiots who think it is ok to justify or attempt to stifle the views of another. Lets see them nick me.

As for those who think its ok, they want shooting.
  • Options
    TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    I hate idiots who think it is ok to justify or attempt to stifle the views of another. Lets see them nick me.

As for those who think its ok, they want shooting.

Think about what you've just wrote.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all rather worrying.:(
  • Options
    LesnarLesnar Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    These days it seems anyone who is offended by any viewpoint can call it a 'hate crime' and the police will gladly launch a full investigation.

The police happily oblige when it comes to "easy" targets like this. For crimes that the public actually care about but are actually hard work for the police they are pretty useless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tequila wrote: »

Yes, it was what is commonly known as a joke!
  • Options
    SpeedOfLightSpeedOfLight Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tequila wrote: »

I think he did, he said "let's see them nick me" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What absolute crap. Expressing an opinion should NEVER be a criminal matter. No ifs or buts.

Define 'opinion' for me. If it is my opinion that your under-age daughter is very sexy and that I would like to do various things to her, am I to be allowed to go tell her that? I really think not.
  • Options
    LesnarLesnar Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it was what is commonly known as a joke!

Tell that to the jury mate. ;)
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What absolute crap. Expressing an opinion should NEVER be a criminal matter. No ifs or buts.

Actually in certain cases it should be (if it incites racial hatred or violence).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    proviso wrote: »
    Define 'opinion' for me. If it is my opinion that your under-age daughter is very sexy and that I would like to do various things to her, am I to be allowed to go tell her that? I really think not.

If i had a daughter and you did that, it wouldn't be the law you'd be worrying about. So i think its a moot point. Only a sackless wonder would involve the police in such a thing rather than deal with it themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    Actually in certain cases it should be (if it incites racial hatred or violence).

Incitement to riot i'll give you but the rest is just balls.

People should remember "sticks and stones" and stop projecting their sensibilities onto the rest of us.

We are all different and have different tolerances, you cannot crminalise people just for a few soft shites. It isn't British or sensible!
  • Options
    REDBUSREDBUS Posts: 2,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    think they got it right ,his actions were grossly offensive to grieving family's of service men fighting for free speech / freedom.

no sympathy whatsoever .

I'd go a step further and send him to Afghanistan to live via parachute.

and that's my freedom of speech like it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REDBUS wrote: »
    think they got it right ,his actions were grossly offensive to grieving family's of service men fighting for free speech / freedom.

no sympathy whatsoever .

I'd go a step further and send him to Afghanistan to live via parachute.

and that's my freedom of speech like it or not.

I personally don't give the tiniest shit about the views of the family of service personnel, they are not conscripted and are not doing their "duty" on ideological grounds.

The whole purpose of funding our military is to maintain OUR freedom. If we aren't free to express ourselves then we are clearly wasting our money.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    I think we should have a mass day of protest against these cases. We could have a variety of "offensive tweets" so all political views could take part. They couldn't possibly prosecute everyone. Time to stand up to these little hitlers in the police and cps. Someone get Stephen fry to lead the charge.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i had a daughter and you did that, it wouldn't be the law you'd be worrying about. So i think its a moot point. Only a sackless wonder would involve the police in such a thing rather than deal with it themselves.

Obviously it's a waste of time trying to argue with you then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He has some valid points (in my opinion). I don't see where he has been racist or made any threats, unless there were more offensive messages, yes he goes too far but he just sounds angry and upset.

I'm guessing there was some kind of petitioning/pressuring of the police to make the arrest. I have seen worse things posted on a YouTube video about lipgloss....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    proviso wrote: »
    Obviously it's a waste of time trying to argue with you then.

Yes, censoring a right to express an opinion is unacceptable just are sexual advances towards a child!
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what's the world coming to when you can't even say that a group of people should die.
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do the majority of people in this thread not see what he has said as wrong? He's saying that Soldiers who are out there fighting so that we can remain free and live in a civilised society should suffer Hell for all eternity. That is sick and twisted. Maybe he should go out there and see what dangers they have to deal with instead of sitting at home updating his Facebook status and being a general idiot in the process.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    David_Hill wrote: »
    How do the majority of people in this thread not see what he has said as wrong? He's saying that Soldiers who are out there fighting so that we can remain free and live in a civilised society should suffer Hell for all eternity. That is sick and twisted. Maybe he should go out there and see what dangers they have to deal with instead of sitting at home updating his Facebook status and being a general idiot in the process.

There is a difference between wrong, and illegal. Adultery is wrong but not illegal. Some may say aborting unborn children is sick and twisted, but it also is not illegal.
  • Options
    rose-whrose-wh Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if it is wrong does it deserve prosecution and jail? It's just his angry opinion

Last time I looked getting angry was part and parcel of everyday life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's the world coming to when you can't even say that a group of people should die.

Especially if its an occupational hazard of a paid mercenary.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    What happened to freedom of speech now if you don't say the right things you can get arrested

I know it's wrong what he said but that's his opinion everyone's got one
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same as all the other prosecutions for what people have said on Twitter/Facebook or wherever, complete bollox.
    And utterly wrong.

Though I do like the way the Guardian has linked the prosecution to being part of a sinister attempt to militerise everything so as to avoid comparisons with previous convictions.
    Kind of typical.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member

As others have said, I think we are all agreed what he said was unpleasant and offensive to many - but we defend his right to say it. When the government and police tells you what you can and can't say it will just lead to fascism.