At what point did the X factor "Jump the shark"?

Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
Forum Member
✭✭✭
From urban dictionary:- "Jump the shark - a term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show."

For me, the jump the shark moment this series was when they started binning out decent acts and putting through the invited dross we now see in the lives - first week of boot camp.

Comments

• Daemon666Daemon666 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first memory of this effect was the first time I saw Louis trying to sing Wagner's praises based upon his 'entertainment' value. I think this is when we started to see blatant lying on the judging panel about it not being a 'singing' show. If it was an 'entertainment' show then why is the audition process exclusively 'singing'. Entertainment is fine AFTER you have established that you can sing. Entertainment should not be used as a substitute for the ability to sing.
  • ribtickleribtickle Posts: 6,361
    Forum Member
    I would date it back 2 or 3 years, back to the point where Cowell's crown had fallen (people forget viewing figures were already dropping while he was still on the show). Many more viewers were painfully aware of the blatant manipulation that went on, saw how false and self-contradictory Simon was, and all this amid media claims and Ofcom investigations of the voting being 'fixed'. A lot of viewers lost faith in the show, were reluctant to vote, and the ones who have stuck by it are the diehard fans or those who just regard it as an entertainment spectacle - a gross panto.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last decent year was when Alexandra Burke won it.
  • maureensmaureens Posts: 13,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xfactor jumped the shark very early on when it became all about the judges and not the real singers...
  • RedHedRedHed Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it jumped the shark the year Steve Brookstein won! ;)
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they had the singoff between Cher and Mary just to have Cher in the final. It's one thing to favour certain acts, but that was a step too far for a lot of people. But even when Lucy left the competition over Jedward was somewhat of a jumping the shark moment.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,476
    Forum Member
    Didn't Lucie Jones go instead of Jedward one week?

That's the earliest 'controversial ratings'' moment i can remember
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aiden v katie

aiden goes

wtf moment
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big Poy wrote: »
    Didn't Lucie Jones go instead of Jedward one week?

That's the earliest 'controversial ratings'' moment i can remember

There was an earlier one, when Louis sent home Maria Lawson over the Conway Sisters, but I agree that the Lucie Jones thing was probably more controversial as the Conway Sisters weren't a joke act, just a bit rubbish.

Still, ratings remained strong for the next series, so probably the first true jump the shark moment, which saw subsequent declines in rating, was Katie Waissel staying over TreyC and then Aiden. I think a lot of people lost faith in the judge's voting process over those couple of weeks.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Stewie_C wrote: »
    From urban dictionary:- "Jump the shark - a term to describe a moment when something that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. Origin of this phrase comes from a Happy Days episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on waterskis. Thus was labeled the lowest point of the show."

For me, the jump the shark moment this series was when they started binning out decent acts and putting through the invited dross we now see in the lives - first week of boot camp.

Well it declined in popularity after Simon/Cheryl/Dannii left..
  • QuiteInterestedQuiteInterested Posts: 1,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewie_C wrote: »

Thanks for that. I knew the saying, but didn't know where it originated from. Interesting! :D

But to be honest, I don't think X Factor was anywhere near the shark in the first place......
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was a bit fake but after the autotune thing I started to realise just how fabricated it all is and how manipulative the editing can be, such as editing different parts of the crowd in at different times to make it look like they like a particular act more than they actually did or vice versa. Then just the whole bunch of publicity stunts the judges would pull each week, pretending they were all constantly at each others throats.

Now we get silly towie style intros, talent searching before the show and a judging panel that clearly don't care who goes through and only decide on who is leaving based on how much publicity it will stir up, hence why most of the best acts leave well before the final but end up doing better on their own anyway, away ftom the freakshow.

The x factor is like a credibility vacuum, tainting anyone who has ever been on it with the affliction. Artists who are already doing ok should really think twice before going on there. When some of the acts audition, they seem really fresh faced and unique, and by the end they have a team of stylists turning them into Adele and making them sing a load of middle of the road, chart ballads. The nervy, edgyness is gone, replaced with a self assured and safe performance that has a generic sound, similar to everyone else that ends up getting far on this show. Original singers with their own ideas who can't be molded to the x factor system are then quickly weeded out in favour of the bland sheep that will do whatever the shows producers want them to.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Last night, before that with the right acts and judges a boost was possible, after last night I can't see how anyone can take this show remotely seriously anymore (if they ever did).
  • CatWolfCatWolf Posts: 2,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deffo either last night or the Louis cave in

Fonzie has now water skied that shark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the novelty acts were the point of jumping the shark and the absolute point I would suggest was when lucy was sent home instead of jedward. it wasnt the end but that was the beginning of the end
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Delete.:rolleyes::o
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I think it was when the contestants who came third or fourth started to get more promotion from syco than the winner
  • 2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Laura White and Austin were voted out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I always thought it was a bit fake but after the autotune thing I started to realise just how fabricated it all is and how manipulative the editing can be, such as editing different parts of the crowd in at different times to make it look like they like a particular act more than they actually did or vice versa. Then just the whole bunch of publicity stunts the judges would pull each week, pretending they were all constantly at each others throats.

Now we get silly towie style intros, talent searching before the show and a judging panel that clearly don't care who goes through and only decide on who is leaving based on how much publicity it will stir up, hence why most of the best acts leave well before the final but end up doing better on their own anyway, away ftom the freakshow.

The x factor is like a credibility vacuum, tainting anyone who has ever been on it with the affliction. Artists who are already doing ok should really think twice before going on there. When some of the acts audition, they seem really fresh faced and unique, and by the end they have a team of stylists turning them into Adele and making them sing a load of middle of the road, chart ballads. The nervy, edgyness is gone, replaced with a self assured and safe performance that has a generic sound, similar to everyone else that ends up getting far on this show. Original singers with their own ideas who can't be molded to the x factor system are then quickly weeded out in favour of the bland sheep that will do whatever the shows producers want them to.

great post - janet last year anyone? what happened to her? she looked crushed by the end of it. In all honesty, longer term ella may well thank her lucky stars that she left when she did
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the show's ever been credible enough to 'Jump the Shark', it's supposed to be a lighthearted entertainment show but year after year the viewers seem to get more and more outraged when their favourite leaves and everyone seemsto loose sight of the fact that it just Reality TV.

It's just not 'Jump the Shark' worthy TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedHed wrote: »
    I don't think the show's ever been credible enough to 'Jump the Shark', it's supposed to be a lighthearted entertainment show but year after year the viewers seem to get more and more outraged when their favourite leaves and everyone seemsto loose sight of the fact that it just Reality TV.

It's just not 'Jump the Shark' worthy TV.
    Unlike Happy Days and The Fonz lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I.M.O.

The show suffered when it changed from a 'singing' contest to a 'show'. Too much OTT staging, too many backing singers and dancers. Add to this returning judges who are well past their sell by date or newbies who think they should educate the voters with 'urban' modern song choices.

For me, the format, judges, mentors and substanceless hype have ruined what was an enjoyable 'family' show.

Upset Granddad :cry::cry:
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Back in series 1 when the incompetent judges failed to spot the almighty talent of Sheffield rapper MC Steve.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unlike Happy Days and The Fonz lol

Happy Days was awsome! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedHed wrote: »
    Happy Days was awsome! :D

I preferred Metal Mickey :D