Marks fitness

fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
Forum Member
I think Mark has lost weight but not as much as he should have considering the usual amount of training.
For a man of his size, the weight should be absolutely falling off him.
I just wish it could happen for his knees really as they look so painful.
Perhaps he isn't doing that much training because of his knees? This would make sense to me as his routines feel 'light' on content when he is obviously capable of much more.
Does he want to leave?

Comments

• BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    He should throw a sickie, thats good for another week.

:)
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    There would be complete uproar if he did that. I think he should though to make a point, if he gets through this week of course.
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes throw a sickie next week if he gets through! He has lost a lot of weight as people do in the first few weeks but the main bulk will take ages to shift.
  • jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    fefster wrote: »
    I think Mark has lost weight but not as much as he should have considering the usual amount of training.
    For a man of his size, the weight should be absolutely falling off him.
    I just wish it could happen for his knees really as they look so painful.
    Perhaps he isn't doing that much training because of his knees? This would make sense to me as his routines feel 'light' on content when he is obviously capable of much more.
    Does he want to leave?

He may be a big man but he is also quite fit (you can not star in a West End show if you are not) and therefore weight will not just "fall off", saying that he has lost over 2 stone.

As for his knees, he damaged them very badly second week of rehearsal and was given the chance of leaving.
    Mark loves Strictly so much he decided to not make a fuss and shoulder on but with no lifts and not as much rise and fall.
  • Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=jinx2;69939645]He may be a big man but he is also quite fit (you can not star in a West End show if you are not) and therefore weight will not just "fall off", saying that he has lost over 2 stone.

As for his knees, he damaged them very badly second week of rehearsal and was given the chance of leaving.
    Mark loves Strictly so much he decided to not make a fuss and shoulder on but with no lifts and not as much rise and fall.[/QUOTE]

What a silly, ignorant thread. But I agree with this post.

No matter what physical shape you are, you can be in good metabolic health, and that effects how quickly you loose weight when starting a physically demanding regime. Big or small, if you are not use to much physical exertion, then the moment you start doing intense (or any) training every day the weight drops off.

Big or small, if your body is used to moving around a lot and you have a higher level of metabolic fitness, then that body will be slower in loosing weight when upping that physical exertion.

Or to put it concisely Mark already had reasonable level of metabolic health and you cannot judge someones fitness by their size. You certainly cannot assume someone who is 'big' is unfit. This is now a proven fact. But anecdotally, as a runner, hiker, and long distance cyclist, I have seen many 'slim' people, who can barely run half a mile before falling on the floor in agony and breathlessness. Only to be passed by the 'fatty' who carries on to run 7+ miles, 3 or 4 times a week. These 'fatties' I train with don't loose weight either, but that's not their goal. They are a heck of a lot fitter than the majority of 'slim' people out there, for whom it would be automatically assumed are healthy.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Linda_Dean wrote: »

No matter what physical shape you are, you can be in good metabolic health, and that effects how quickly you loose weight when starting a physically demanding regime. Big or small, if you are not use to much physical exertion, then the moment you start doing intense (or any) training every day the weight drops off.

Big or small, if your body is used to moving around a lot and you have a higher level of metabolic fitness, then that body will be slower in loosing weight when upping that physical exertion.

Or to put it concisely Mark already had reasonable level of metabolic health and you cannot judge someones fitness by their size. You certainly cannot assume someone who is 'big' is unfit. This is now a proven fact. But anecdotally, as a runner, hiker, and long distance cyclist, I have seen many 'slim' people, who can barely run half a mile before falling on the floor in agony and breathlessness. Only to be passed by the 'fatty' who carries on to run 7+ miles, 3 or 4 times a week. These 'fatties' I train with don't loose weight either, but that's not their goal. They are a heck of a lot fitter than the majority of 'slim' people out there, for whom it would be automatically assumed are healthy.

Thank you Linda. You saved me a lot of typing and said it better than I would have.
  • belmontbabebelmontbabe Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I'm glad he's shouldered on:)
    Forum Member
    Linda_Dean wrote: »

I'm not ignorant, I am generally well informed thanks very much. His knees are screwed because of his weight. Simple as that.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's be charitable. Inside every great big fat person a couple of thin people could be trying to get out.

He's deposited a lot of fat around his viscera in the male pattern, and it's not the first to shift.
  • NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not ignorant, I am generally well informed thanks very much. His knees are screwed because of his weight. Simple as that.

Yes, simple mechanics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he want to leave?

He basically asked to go in yesterday's show... :o I don't think I've ever seen someone be like "YES, I want to dance it again" and actually sound like he means it when Tess asks that generic question.
  • ElsBelsElsBels Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Malik24 wrote: »
    He basically asked to go in yesterday's show... :o I don't think I've ever seen someone be like "YES, I want to dance it again" and actually sound like he means it when Tess asks that generic question.

That was how it struck me as well. He looked tired and ready to go out on a routine that he appears well aware is as good as he's going to get.

He also looked to be in some pain, not entirely surprisingly.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ElsBels wrote: »
    That was how it struck me as well. He looked tired and ready to go out on a routine that he appears well aware is as good as he's going to get.

He also looked to be in some pain, not entirely surprisingly.

I totally agree with you..
    He struggled going up the stairs to the Tesspit. I think he wants/needs to have some time to recuperate from his injury to his knees. If he stays he will soldier on though and do his best because he would never let Iveta down. Sadly I hope he goes tonight - and I will be sad if he does because it will be very dull without him.
    Forum Member
    Would he be allowed to take a week out if he gets through? Presumably, they would have to let him take one as Natalie has had this privilege.
  • jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member

Marks knees could be screwed (before the dance and that's why he hurt them in training) and that is why he has put on weight! Have you ever thought of that?

Weight gain can sometimes be the symptom, not the cause.
    Forum Member
    jinx2 wrote: »
    Marks knees could be screwed (before the dance and that's why he hurt them in training) and that is why he has put on weight! Have you ever thought of that?

This may be possible but it's irrelevant - his weight will be killing his knees, no matter which came first.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jinx2 wrote: »

Those were my thoughts too. People can be very judgemental without knowing the medical facts and some on here think they are medical experts. If someone has injured their knees it is very difficult to excercise and lose weight
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    patricia50 wrote: »
    Those were my thoughts too. People can be very judgemental without knowing the medical facts and some on here think they are medical experts. If someone has injured their knees it is very difficult to excercise and lose weight

That's a very good point patricia.
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would he be allowed to take a week out if he gets through? Presumably, they would have to let him take one as Natalie has had this privilege.

I'd have no issue with Mark taking a week off on medical advice - assuming a week's rest would make a difference to his knee problems. I just wanted to make the point that Natalie didn't have a week out. (Perhaps you just meant missing a show :)). She fainted on the Saturday afternoon in final dress rehearsals and was back training on Monday afternoon. I'm pleased Mark is through - he's a lovely bloke and I love the partnership with Iveta, but I do think he wants out now :(