RI:SE- Channel 4's last attempt at breakfast TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With Good Morning Britain struggling in the ratings, and Breakfast seemingly unchallenged in first place is it time for a new breakfast TV show to be launched?

RI:SE was Channel 4's last effort which was not well received by viewers who still loved the wacky, irreverent humour from The Big Breakfast. Despite many presenter changes and a relocation to Bayswater, this did little to improve viewing figures which even fell to a zero rating, the worst a show can get.

The Big Breakfast was rumoured to be returning for the Olympics in 2012. Is there a place for its return or would another show on Channel 4 and 5 perhaps music and entertainment based for the 16-34 year old age group be a challenger for Breakfast?

Comments

• ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Iain Lee still has an account on DS I think - maybe we can get him to come tell us about his time on the show. I really enjoyed him on it better than whatshisface, Judith Chalmers' son.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Preferred the Second Makeover of RI:SE when they had Iain and Edith Bowman wasn't it.

When the fe how first Launched the Hosts were, Mark Durden-Smith, Kirsty Galkacher, Colin Murray and Edith if I remember rightly, it felt un comfy.

Come the summers RI:SE basically just talked about Big Brother the morning after
  • Tim_BishopTim_Bishop Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    RI:SE was so bad, we would call it here in Plymouth "Retards In [the] South East".

it was london-centric, and that's why it lost its audience. god awful it was
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they use the : in the word RISE for
  • LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they use the : in the word RISE for

Wasn't it because the word RI:SE use to be shown on a Digital Clock - the ":" was there because it was the separator between the hours and minutes.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morning Glory was actually Channel 4s last attempt in 2006 with Dermot OLeary, it only lasted 3 weeks though
  • Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    RI:SE was doomed from the start because everyone wanted it to fail - had it launched as a Big Breakfast clone it would have been ridiculed for being exactly the same as its predecessor, instead it attempted to be different and got ridiculed for changing a supposedly winning formula. It then changed into the Big Breakfast clone everyone initially wanted, got ridiculed for that, and ended.

Every decade tends to start by getting rid of the music, fashion, politics etc from the previous, and by the early 2000s people didn't really want that sort of wacky youthful morning programme anymore - too dated, too 1990s and with a news climate obsessed with war and Iraq it didn't fit the times either.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should run repeats of the Big Breakfast, cutting away at the appropriate times to the current news and weather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a big fan of The Big Breakfast and was sad when it ended as I remember watching the show which was presented by Josie D'Arby and Ben Shepherd which had Alex Mack, Hanging with Mr Cooper and Saved by The Bell in the Johnny and Denise days. I think the show would have survived with Richard Bacon and Lisa Rogers as they loved the show.

RI:SE 2003 was a lot better for me. 2002 was confusing as it would do serious items like the 6 news stories then it would revert to the Lip Service item and Strap Me Down item which featured from September to December I think of that year.

I also recall the news ticker which used to run along the bottom and the music they used to play to and from breaks. They did not have an introduction to the show or a closing just music with the RI:SE logo. They did in 2003 but never in 2002 which was strange.

They should give The Big Breakfast another go as I think there is an audience for it. Even if they were to trial it, to see if there is an audience. They could find a sponsor for the show and they could do catch up highlights on 4 or 5 or whichever channel were to take it on.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Morning Glory was actually Channel 4s last attempt in 2006 with Dermot OLeary, it only lasted 3 weeks though

Wasn't that basically a trial run that co-incided with Celebrity BBLB? Coming straight after it from the same studio with the same presenter. Never got picked up for a run of its own though.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Lawler was gorgeous though.
  • extraextraextraextra Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Careful what you wish for........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MSIVJljD9A
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely GMB is ITV's last attempt to do breakfast TV as it can barely get 400,000 viewers ?
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »

Was that the one with Sarah Hendy on it? The lady from Bid TV?
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,640
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Surely GMB is ITV's last attempt to do breakfast TV as it can barely get 400,000 viewers ?

The problem for ITV is that their licence from OFCOM forces them to show a news/current affairs breakfast programme between 6am and 9.25am so they have to show something. I'm sure in a way they'd love to just stick cartoons and more daytime lowest common denomenator tripe like Jeremy Kyle on at that time but they can't get away with it.
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz Bonnin was great on RI:SE
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Breakfast Channel 4 as it is thanks.
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, breakfast TV is dead, GMB is showing this there isn't an interest in it today, the only reason BBC gets it's million plus views is for news, they could just have basic BBC News channel on and it would get the same figures

Perhaps ITV should just have basic news like news at ten etc instead of investing money in something very few people will watch which would keep ofcom happy
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    I would welcome a RI:SE type show again because I actually enjoyed it when it was on. I remember the 2003 run being my most favourite with Ian Lee and the gorgeous Kate lawler presenting, I even have a VHS recording of the last ever show in December 03. I remember the title music well and overall it just felt like a laugh with your mates instead of it all being serious shit like the BBC trot out. Big Breakfast was cool but I didnt watch much of it only the summer holiday versions of it as I was a kid and didnt really understand it (plus I was busy getting ready for school when the non holiday BB was on so missed a lot of it) but from what I saw BB was fun and even at the age of 11,12 I fancied the pants off Denise Van Outen :D

Ch4 needs to bring something back like that! a big burst of energy, banter and news stories, I'd actually watch telly instead of just loading up some music to get me motivated in the mornings.
  • Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    I would welcome a RI:SE type show again because I actually enjoyed it when it was on. I remember the 2003 run being my most favourite with Ian Lee and the gorgeous Kate lawler presenting, I even have a VHS recording of the last ever show in December 03. I remember the title music well and overall it just felt like a laugh with your mates instead of it all being serious shit like the BBC trot out. Big Breakfast was cool but I didnt watch much of it only the summer holiday versions of it as I was a kid and didnt really understand it (plus I was busy getting ready for school when the non holiday BB was on so missed a lot of it) but from what I saw BB was fun and even at the age of 11,12 I fancied the pants off Denise Van Outen :D

Ch4 needs to bring something back like that! a big burst of energy, banter and news stories, I'd actually watch telly instead of just loading up some music to get me motivated in the mornings.

can you upload it please?
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »

I recorded it too. I also have all 5 of that week's eps from the Monday to the Friday somewhere on video tapes in my house. I was only 12 when I recorded them. I loved RI:SE so much haha