Options

Vera 2015

Comments

• Options
    justannejustanne Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was so looking forward to this, and despite all the comments above, for me it didn't disappoint.

As for the comment about the way she dresses, what on earth does that have to do with anything? She wouldn't have the rank she does if she didn't produce results.

I think Vera is one of the best programmes on TV. Love it.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    A lot of this episode was filmed in Whitley Bay where I live. The crew sometimes set up in a car park opposite my mothers house, on top of the cliffs so I get to see a lot of filming taking place. An ex colleague of mine also appears as an extra in some of the office scenes (he's a retired copper) as for the way Vera dresses, it's her character, as described in the books. Can you imagine the outcry from fans of the books if she appeared on screen dressed in sharp suits or fashionable dresses. The problem with the Geordie accent is well known. Most actors will admit that it is one of the hardest regional accents to get right.
  • Options
    mavisangelicamavisangelica Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    A lot of this episode was filmed in Whitley Bay where I live. The crew sometimes set up in a car park opposite my mothers house, on top of the cliffs so I get to see a lot of filming taking place. An ex colleague of mine also appears as an extra in some of the office scenes (he's a retired copper) as for the way Vera dresses, it's her character, as described in the books. Can you imagine the outcry from fans of the books if she appeared on screen dressed in sharp suits or fashionable dresses. The problem with the Geordie accent is well known. Most actors will admit that it is one of the hardest regional accents to get right.

And is the police station the old Swan Hunters building down the bank from Station Road in Wallsend?
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    It could be I'm not sure. I know that the Insp George Gently series has used part of Newcastle college in Elswick as the exterior of a police station, although most of that series is filmed in county Durham and although the characters have visited "Whitle Bay" in stories, they have never actually filmed there.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My goodness George Costigan has really aged rapidly. Is he ill? His voice is so weak.
  • Options
    AligatorCatAligatorCat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    It's Grantley!!
  • Options
    Snow MartianSnow Martian Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    How come only one character in the entire show has a north east accent?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How come only one character in the entire show has a north east accent?

Diversity. :D
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    My goodness George Costigan has really aged rapidly. Is he ill? His voice is so weak.

IRL he's 67. He's just acting the part of a much older man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IRL he's 67. He's just acting the part of a much older man.

He looks really gaunt though and his hair is totally white now compared to when he was in Happy Valley and Scott & Bailey. Just startled me when I saw him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm watching now on +1. I would say he's playing someone with lung disease (the pits) and is doing it very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I'm watching now on +1. I would say he's playing someone with lung disease (the pits) and is doing it very well.

That occurred to me too after I'd posted my comment.

Also I don't remember what colour his hair was in Happy Valley but actors often have their hair dyed for parts they're playing.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how Vera got from Holy Island Causeway to South Shields Fair in a matter of seconds.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This Sergeant is a liability

Sean Bean will be gutted that his old Sergeant has been nicked for murder:(
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    This Sergeant is a liability

Sean Bean will be gutted that his old Sergeant has been nicked for murder:(

I'm gutted! I liked Daragh O'Malley in 'Sherpe', but in this he is menacing. It shows what a good actor he is, but he has aged a lot.
  • Options
    David_ArcherDavid_Archer Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    What happened to Donna?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What happened to Donna?

Who's Donna? :-/
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Hey ho first one of these I've watched, not bad I'll give it another go next week.
    Hope we get to see a bit more of the rest of the coppering team, they need fleshing out for me.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there an EastEnders person in this?
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    I usually like Brenda Blethyn in most things she's done, but in Vera I can't get past the bad fake accent.
    It would help if she'd at least pronounce her own flippin' surname properly.

I was born in the north east and I also pronounce it as Stan hope. Maybe my accent is fake too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What happened to Donna?
    Why is there an EastEnders person in this?

She has two jobs !!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    justanne wrote: »
    Was so looking forward to this, and despite all the comments above, for me it didn't disappoint.

As for the comment about the way she dresses, what on earth does that have to do with anything? She wouldn't have the rank she does if she didn't produce results.

I think Vera is one of the best programmes on TV. Love it.

Reminds me of Peggy Armstrong from Heartbeat.

If you just want entertainment she is fine. If you like realism you need to know that Detective Chief Inspectors do not run after suspects, interview suspects or interview witnesses. They mainly sit behind a desk.
  • Options
    JennyukJennyuk Posts: 20,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are covering all the PC brigade routes, last week we had a young girl sitting in the background at a desk wearing a Hijab, this week we had the girl in the wheelchair, i wonder who else we will get. It's good to see them covering all the actor's and not leaving them out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Reminds me of Peggy Armstrong from Heartbeat.

If you just want entertainment she is fine. If you like realism you need to know that Detective Chief Inspectors do not run after suspects, interview suspects or interview witnesses. They mainly sit behind a desk.

Agreed if she was that rank, she would be telling the other's what to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasnt he in Rita, Sue and Bob too ?