Anyone Not Bothered About Going Abroad?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wanted to ask this question because i really am curious to know if others are like this or if i am all alone :p I have not been abroad since 2001 and really don't have much desire to go abroad again anytime soon. I mean i do get kinda curious about places like New York which are meant to be amazing places to visit and yeah a part of me thinks ''maybe it would be great to visit one day'' but i don't feel this urgent need to do it. Some people i know have to have 2-3 holidays abroad a year

When i did go abroad i didn't like all the hassle attached to it, i know that if you want to go and you have a great time than the hassle is worth it and just an annoying process you have to go through. But then i have to say i wasn't keen on flying and i don't feel in a rush to travel on a plane again

Extremes of hot and cold seem to bother me more than they maybe do for some people, so i don't know if i would handle some of the very hot or very cold locations

Also the other thing i feel is that there are many great places here in the uk to visit and these places often get overlooked by us brits because we feel that if we are going on holiday it has to be abroad and not here at home.

Comments

• ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I like to see other countries and cultures so usually go abroad at least once a year.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm lying on top of my bed right now looking at a lovely view outside, sipping a coffee and pondering what to have for breakfast as its all inclusive! I have FaceTimed my daughters and it looks bloody miserable at home so I'm quite happy right now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    I'm lying on top of my bed right now looking at a lovely view outside, sipping a coffee and pondering what to have for breakfast as its all inclusive! I have FaceTimed my daughters and it looks bloody miserable at home so I'm quite happy right now!

Where are you? :)
  • Another POVAnother POV Posts: 2,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not. If I want to look at [assorted] foreigners I'll go down to London for the day.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there`s a few places i`d like to visit but i don`t think i have the cojones for flying, i`m not good with water when i consider death by drowning and trains in tunnels under the sea are beyond it for me so i embrace my limitations and like to explore here.

i know. :blush:
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Where are you? :)

Alcudia but heading for Palma in a couple of hours as we've hired a car to see more of the island! I love being on holiday :)
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to put my dog in kennels due to her age and health so haven't been away in a while but I love going abroad. It's true that often we don't explore our own environment properly but I find that experiencing a different culture lifts me out of any day to day concerns - so even 'hassle' is relaxing! I've done a lot of travelling rather than short holiday breaks with some amazing adventures and experiences and consider myself the richer for it.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a holiday and i've only ever been out of the country once when I worked in Amsterdam for a few months a long time ago, so it's something I've never really found I've been that worried about.

I always say i'd like to go to the US, and I probably would, but i'll never be able to afford it in my lifetime so it'll always be somewhat of a pipe dream.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Have travelled abroad a lot in the past, but it all seems too much of a hassle now, especially the flying part, and I'd need to renew my passport which expired a few years ago!
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What hassle. I'm looking at our spring right now and looking forward to my hols - can't come soon enough
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I to haven't be abroad since 2001, not bothered in the slightest
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each to their own of course but...there's a whole wonderful world out there, and funds/circumstances permitting, I don't get why anyone would not want to see even just a little bit of it!

I am comfortable where I live but my holidays are amazing. I have close friends living in India, Spain, Brasil, and one from France (she lives in London now), and I've been to all of these places in the last 18months, spending time with them as hosts, enabling me to do both the touristy thing and the local life thing. These kinds of experiences are, to me, priceless.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not. If I want to look at [assorted] foreigners I'll go down to London for the day.
    There's more to going on holiday than looking at foreign faces.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've only been abroad twice so far. Last time was in 1987. First time was a school organised skiing holiday to Italy, where I managed to twist my ankle ligaments on the first day, and spent the rest of the holiday hobbling around with a plaster on my leg. Second and final time was a sixth form day trip to Paris, which I didn't enjoy much. I'll probably never go abroad again. I rarely travel more than about twenty miles from my home.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Majorca with my parents in 1971, then in 1994 spent four days in New York with a friend. Those are the only two occasions I have been abroad.

I would have liked to travel more but I don't have people to go with and I would not wish to go alone. I have pretty much given up any idea that I will ever go abroad again.
  • m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't care much but I gotta travel all the time for work
  • zedzzedz Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    The British will put up with anything for an easy life. You'd never get to see what a miserable country the UK is if you never go abroad and experience something different.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,825
    Forum Member
    Yes. For one main reason. The weather.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,825
    Forum Member
    There's more to going on holiday than looking at foreign faces.

There is, but they wouldn't have got to get their little dig at Johnny Foreigner in without that comment.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me. I would like to see other countries, but I get terrible homesickness when I'm away from home, so I don't even travel in the UK let alone overseas now. I was earning good money when I owned my own company, but was holidaying in my back garden like a pauper LOL.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prefer to explore our beautiful country
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm the complete opposite. I dont think I could function properly if I didn't always know i was going abroad within the next 6 months, and would find it completely depressing if I didn't spend at least a week in a beautiful hot sunny place every year
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,167
    Forum Member
    No holidays abroad are a must for me. I work very hard, so it's nice to be able to enjoy the fruit of one labours in beautiful environment other than my own country.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    No holidays abroad are a must for me. I work very hard, so it's nice to be able to enjoy the fruit of one labours in beautiful environment other than my own country.

Good example of how important a humble comma can be - its absence changes the meaning completely!
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since the mid- eighties my wages have been hovering just above minimum wage level
    So no spare cash for holidays.
    I would dearly love to go back to Crete one more time and visit mid-west America to see the Cowboy Towns I used to used to watch on film & T.V back in the sixties